Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the Palace win win paper over some cracks?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've now only picked up 6 points from the last 6 games with the solitary victory being the win over Palace. (Anything can happen in derby games, right?)

Did the elation of beating that lot from up the road cover up an otherwise below par run?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not really. Beating Palace didn't change the perception we are a team that's somewhere between being the fifth to eighth best in the League.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We've now only picked up 6 points from the last 6 games with the solitary victory being the win over Palace. (Anything can happen in derby games, right?)

Did the elation of beating that lot from up the road cover up an otherwise below par run?

But only since palace has he picked his strongest side and we have looked better, should be 7 points from 9, not 5

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just got in to hear Poyet say he loves being linked to jobs.But until something comes up then he is just thinking play offs...Thanks for that Gus, would have been nice to hear something about the game instead of yourself.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The CP game has given a feel good factor, together with Poyet staying. The after glow will last a long time.

But you have a point. LDLD on the road, including against two low budget teams, and a woefully exposed Calderon tonight, and lack of ideas up front.

Only 3 points on Saturday will mean that results are now matching that perceived feel good factor.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not really. Beating Palace didn't change the perception we are a team that's somewhere between being the fifth to eighth best in the League.

This. We are what we are. Almost but not quite in my book, we are getting there just maybe not as quickly as some would like.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Just got in to hear Poyet say he loves being linked to jobs.But until something comes up then he is just thinking play offs...Thanks for that Gus, would have been nice to hear something about the game instead of yourself.

Are you surprised? It's the same man who spent the last two weeks of the loan window on holiday and then talking to Reading after all. Nothing is more important than the Gus Show

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No, but only in the context of what's going on around us. During Easter, Forest, after a stormer, picked up 2 points from 2 very similar games (ok one identical) while Leicester slipped further off the pace. Palace lost both theirs with a marvellous F0 A5 goal difference. Cardiff lost to Peterborouogh. This season in this division you may well need more than 53 points to survive and less than 71 to get in the playoffs. I'm not sure anymore if this means it's full of good, bad or average sides but while you could quote our points per game ratio as one stat you could also quote our relative certainty of a playoff place as another. For me that's no different from 6 games ago.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We needed a forward option off the bench tonight. Probably have the best 11 in the league but the 5th-7th best squad!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No!

oldboy

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
The feeling i get when i see your manager talking after games is is a kind of shrug ya shoulder attitude.. Our manager just makes stupid comments. I think both our managers. Need a good rocket up em.

The feeling i get when i see your manager talking after games is is a kind of shrug ya shoulder attitude.. Our manager just makes stupid comments. I think both our managers. Need a good rocket up em.
There were 26,000-odd Albion fans shrugging their shoulders at the end of tonight's game.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We won against Palace because they are woeful defensively. Any team that's organised at the back and has a bit of determination about them we struggle to break down and we need to rely on someone to come out with a single bit of inspiration to get a goal. Unfortunately our players are not quite good enough to come out with that every match and we soon run out of ideas. That will always be a problem under Gus until we get a team of Xavi Alonso's (never).

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Are you surprised? It's the same man who spent the last two weeks of the loan window on holiday and then talking to Reading after all. Nothing is more important than the Gus Show

No im not surprised,just pointing it out..I don't think there is any chance at all he will be here next season.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
my own take is Palace was a bit of one-off where everything worked but the reality is, even if we are playing pretty well at times, we are not going into the end part of the season knowing what is our settled and our strongest formation, we don't have a massive surge of form that by hook or by crook, means a winning run of games strung together and overall, I don't feel we are charging into the playoffs with any massive confidence that we can beat any team on any given day. I can see 5th as a possibility but other teams like Watford, Forest etc look like their form at moment is better and as much as it would be unbelievable to win the playoffs, head says unlikely on current form.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No im not surprised,just pointing it out..I don't think there is any chance at all he will be here next season.

How long have you been saying this for now Kev? "He definitely won't be here by xxxx". It's been years. I see its gone back to next season now. I'm going to laugh when he finally does go and you come on here to tell us that you were right.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
my own take is Palace was a bit of one-off where everything worked but the reality is, even if we are playing pretty well at times, we are not going into the end part of the season knowing what is our settled and our strongest formation, we don't have a massive surge of form that by hook or by crook, means a winning run of games strung together and overall, I don't feel we are charging into the playoffs with any massive confidence that we can beat any team on any given day. I can see 5th as a possibility but other teams like Watford, Forest etc look like their form at moment is better and as much as it would be unbelievable to win the playoffs, head says unlikely on current form.

Fortunately for us, the rest of the top 8 seem determine to bugger it up as well. At least we're actually picking up the odd point here and there, which is more than Palace and Leicester are doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here