Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best free software?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll open with the MIGHTY Open Office

and "Audacity" ............. I wish I'd spent a week playing with it when the weather was crap. So much fun.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
No it is a free audio mixing programme. One of those that you can waste hours with if you get the chance (I have).

It's so much fun, I've been trying to mash up My Bloody Valentine with The Ink Spots.

It sounds terrible.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
What does Dropbox actually do?

It's a shared folder between multiple computers, so you can share music, photos or files with friends just by dragging and dropping files into it. Quite useful but can be a bit of a hassle to set up apparently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'll open with the MIGHTY Open Office

and "Audacity" ............. I wish I'd spent a week playing with it when the weather was crap. So much fun.

I started using OpenOffice, but have switched to LibreOffice which I think is superior, and includes the ability to import and edit .pdf files.

Other free favourites of mine:
SketchUp - revolutionised how CAD 3D models are built.
DraftSight - free CAD that rivals AutoCAD LT (which is about £900!)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's a shared folder between multiple computers, so you can share music, photos or files with friends just by dragging and dropping files into it. Quite useful but can be a bit of a hassle to set up apparently.

Can that be used from say laptop without Dropbox to tablet that has it for example

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Can that be used from say laptop without Dropbox to tablet that has it for example

I don't see why not, but I would recommend something like Google Drive, I use it occasionally and it's easy to use and set up.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Dropbox can be used in 2 ways:
Files stored online can be accessed from any computer by logining into your account through a browser - no program is required for this.
Or using the program installed on your computer files can be syncronised so that you have a local copy of the file on your computer. This file can be edited and when you have a net connection it will update the online copy, or you will get an updated copy of the online file (if say someone else and worked on it).

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Syncredible - brilliant tool for backing up your data to another device such as USB hard drive. Very clever, after original back up, it then only syncs new files or ones that have changed. And you can schedule it for automatic run each day.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Dropbox can be used in 2 ways:
Files stored online can be accessed from any computer by logining into your account through a browser - no program is required for this.
Or using the program installed on your computer files can be syncronised so that you have a local copy of the file on your computer. This file can be edited and when you have a net connection it will update the online copy, or you will get an updated copy of the online file (if say someone else and worked on it).

Thanks!! I have only just come across it so have not had a chance to explore its uses.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Store files (music, photos, videos etc) in the cloud.
I have it installed on all my laptop, desktop, iPad, Galaxy note phone and iPod. So I can access all my stored files anytime without worrying about ever losing anything.

Just used it for first time!!! Bloody hell that's easy!! Thanks for the heads up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here