Other photos from the game

charlton-lawrenson.jpg

charlton1.jpg

charlton2.jpg

charlton4.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
'Twas indeed 2-0, Paul Clark (with a shot that nearly broke the net) and an own goal. The Clark one was in front of the North Stand. Crowd of over 30,000 as well and we KNEW then that we'd get promoted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So who are the players in the photos?

First photo, Lawrenson, looking majestic on the ball as he normally did
Second photo, Chivers and Poskett?
Struggling with the players in the third photo, Rollings? and??? Gary Williams? (tempted to think Wardy but don't think it is)
Fourth one, Clark, Sully? Rollings? Lawro again?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Struggling with the players in the third photo, Rollings? and??? Gary Williams? (tempted to think Wardy but don't think it is)
Yeah, I think it's:

1 - Lawrenson
2 - Chivers and Lawrenson
3 - Williams foreground, Rollings behind
4 - (L to R) Clark, Sully, Lawrenson, Rollings

Mind you I'm crap with faces! 'Rollings' will probably turn out to be Chris Catlin!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

The second photo is a bone of contention. John Vinicombe's book 'Super Seagulls' says Poskett but lots of NSCers say it's Lawrenson. I don't know! It does look more like Lawrenson but I'm hoping it's Poskett as colour photos of him playing for the Albion are rare....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The second photo is a bone of contention. John Vinicombe's book 'Super Seagulls' says Poskett but lots of NSCers say it's Lawrenson. I don't know! It does look more like Lawrenson but I'm hoping it's Poskett as colour photos of him playing for the Albion are rare....

TBH I may revise my opinion, it could well be Poskett, after all it's alongside Chivers which is where you'd expect to see him. Like I say, I'm crap at recognising people so don't take my word!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I can see why people would think that it was Lawrenson but my first instinct was Poskett. Facially it definitely could be Lawro but does he look a little too skinny to be Lawrenson though?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Vinicombe's book also suggests it's Lawrenson on the ball with Rollings covering.... does look more like Williams to me too!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Best one against Charlton was 82/83
7-0 we beat undefeated Charlton that day bloody brilliant !!!
Great sight for a young lad of 14 to behold , his team mashing the league leaders and undefeated !! :albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

CANT WAIT FOR TONIGHT CMON YOU STRIPES !!!!:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::amex::amex::amex::amex::falmer::falmer::falmer::falmer:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Best one against Charlton was 82/83
7-0 we beat undefeated Charlton that day bloody brilliant !!!
Great sight for a young lad of 14 to behold , his team mashing the league leaders and undefeated !! :albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

CANT WAIT FOR TONIGHT CMON YOU STRIPES !!!!:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::amex::amex::amex::amex::falmer::falmer::falmer::falmer:

My abiding memory of that game is standing in the North East corner beside some Charlton fans, one of whom shouted at Case as he picked the ball up and bore down on goal that he was a ****ing donkey, cue Case smashing one into the net from distance, oh how I laughed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Vinicombe's book also suggests it's Lawrenson on the ball with Rollings covering.... does look more like Williams to me too!

Bear in mind all Vinicombe's books are riddled with errors. It's definitely not Poskett in that photo.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's definitely not Poskett in that photo.

Having looked very closely at the 1st photo with Lawrenson and then at the one in dispute, I think I may now agree with you. The player in the first and second pictures has a mud mark in the same place on the right sock in both photos, Poskett seldom got his shorts or socks dirty :smile:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here