Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood & Glenn Murray

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting isn't it? Murray has 30 this season, but the minute his contract is safely renegotiated and he can't buy a goal. :lolol: "30 goals, thanks a lot". You're welcome Palace. Enjoy 2 more seasons of him under-performing like last season, and draining your wage bill. :lolol: :lolol:

Which brings me on to Chris Wood. This guy has barely been mentioned on here in the past few months. When he was on loan at Millwall, he was scoring for fun and scored an absolute BELTER for them at the Amex, but let's face it, he's another one who's fallen off a cliff. Gets his big money move to Leicester, plays brilliantly for a month, but has been utter toilet for them for 2 months apparently. His first touch is dreadful apparently and he doesn't work hard enough. This thread gives some typical opinions of him:

Team against Brighton Saturday - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk Forum

Can you imagine if we'd bought Wood instead of Ulloa? With CMS injured, there is a chance we'd be nervously looking over our shoulders by now.

Perhaps the point of this post is that it is high time some people who have moaned about Gus until recently (and there were too many of them) finally accept that he clearly KNOWS what he is doing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting isn't it? Murray has 30 this season, but the minute his contract is safely renegotiated and he can't buy a goal. :lolol:
He hasn't scored for a whole 3 games, and he got a brace in the game before. Hardly a crisis for the leagues top scorer.

"30 goals, thanks a lot". You're welcome Palace.
No they're not.

Enjoy 2 more seasons of him under-performing like last season, and draining your wage bill. :lolol: :lolol:
The link with his best season for us being his last seems to have misled a lot of fans. He wasn't in his last season for Palace this year, but he's done ok don't you think? Could it be possible he's enjoyed scoring 30 goals?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ulloa has been a great signing and his first decent striker signing as manager, finally replaced Murray after 1.5 years.

I'd have Murray back in a heartbeat though, the clubs decision to not meet his demands an match Palace is baffling considering the amount we paid Hoskins/CMS.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I agree with everything said above, though Murray was quite crap vs us and he hadnt actually signed the new contract by then.

Palace gave him a contract extension in the belief that he was playing crap as a leverage method , we know otherwise. Well done Agent Murray. :thumbsup:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Totally agree - there is a spooky corellation between Murray's contractual situation and his form. Shite first season with us and Palarse.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ulloa has been a great signing and his first decent striker signing as manager, finally replaced Murray after 1.5 years.

I'd have Murray back in a heartbeat though, the clubs decision to not meet his demands an match Palace is baffling considering the amount we paid Hoskins/CMS.
I agree with most of this. It is very, very true that Poyet has had a massive blind spot with strikers until Ulloa came in. That said, he's been VERY unlucky with Hoskins, IMO.

However, I really wouldn't want Murray back. He is moody, and apparently a bit of a drain on team spirit. Good player when things are going well though, I would have to say that.

Jimmy Grimble

I agree with most of this. It is very, very true that Poyet has had a massive blind spot with strikers until Ulloa came in. That said, he's been VERY unlucky with Hoskins, IMO.

However, I really wouldn't want Murray back. He is moody, and apparently a bit of a drain on team spirit. Good player when things are going well though, I would have to say that.

Without wanting to sound like Murray's lucky (he's clearly not), I do wonder - and posted this yesterday - if he is having an anomaly of a season. I'm sure it has happened to other players in the past. Finishing was always his weakest link for us (the year we won the league he should have scored more in a side that was putting chances on a plate), but this season it seems his finishing has been one of his best attributes. Personally, I very much doubt he'll ever have a 25+ goal season again.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ulloa is obviously a fantastic signing, he's better than both Murray and Wood and he is only going to get better. Whilst we did miss Murray a lot until Ulloa, I agree with you that I wouldn't want him back.

Wood on the other hand I really wish we had signed permanently at some point since his loan spell in addition to Ulloa (I understand finances meant we wouldn't have been able to do that in January aswell as Ulloa). I was one of the few that rated him when he was here and he is getting better all the time. He was on fire earlier this season but will have a dry spell as all strikers do particularly when he is still so young. He's clearly not been helped by the abject performance generally of his team over the past couple of months. I thought he still looked good against Milwall the other night despite their loss. I'm still confident he will go on to be a good striker in the top division.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not half as baffling as the fact people cant let it go, dont consider if he would "fit" the team and ignore how shite he was last season (6 goals).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has Murray actually signed his new contract though, or has he just "agreed" it. All I've seen is that he's agreed it. Yes, a verbal contract can be taken as binding, but Murray has previously been known to string things out, and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if another club came waving the cash in the summer and he disappeared.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Wood is only 21. He's done quite well thus far i'd think for a player that age.

Plenty more goals in him i'd reckon as he reaches his peak.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wood is only 21. He's done quite well thus far i'd think for a player that age.

Plenty more goals in him i'd reckon as he reaches his peak.

Undoubtedly. In some respects, it's not a massive surprise to see the way Leicester fans are reacting to him currently. When he played for us, he tended to divide people. I think he scored ten or so goals, which for a (then) eighteen year old coming into a new team was actually very good, but there were plenty of people who complained about his misses, or his perceived lack of ability to jump for aerial balls. He's improved a lot since then, but I bet watching him in their current run of form isn't unlike his form for us towards the end of the title winning season.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Undoubtedly. In some respects, it's not a massive surprise to see the way Leicester fans are reacting to him currently. When he played for us, he tended to divide people. I think he scored ten or so goals, which for a (then) eighteen year old coming into a new team was actually very good, but there were plenty of people who complained about his misses, or his perceived lack of ability to jump for aerial balls. He's improved a lot since then, but I bet watching him in their current run of form isn't unlike his form for us towards the end of the title winning season.

Spot on!

He'll carve out a nice 10 year career in England. Might not be quite up to PL class but he'll always be too good for anything below Championship.

I always think people who write off young players prematurely are probably premature in other aspects of life :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Which brings me on to Chris Wood. ... he's another one who's fallen off a cliff. Gets his big money move to Leicester, plays brilliantly for a month, but has been utter toilet for them for 2 months apparently.

Stop tempting fate! If he gets a hat-trick on saturday, I'm blaming you. Even if all three goals are like Forest's late equaliser on saturday, or birmingham's a while back.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Which brings me on to Chris Wood. This guy has barely been mentioned on here in the past few months. When he was on loan at Millwall, he was scoring for fun and scored an absolute BELTER for them at the Amex, but let's face it, he's another one who's fallen off a cliff. Gets his big money move to Leicester, plays brilliantly for a month, but has been utter toilet for them for 2 months apparently. His first touch is dreadful apparently and he doesn't work hard enough.

I think I will have a small wager on Woods anytime scorer on Saturday after this post!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus made a mistake with Murray, but every manager makes mistakes and so we move on. And in Ulloa Gus has bought a gem. It is a privilege to watch this guy play. As for Murray, I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here