Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talking in the third person...

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
After watching the Di Canio interview on SSN, he is constantly referring to himself "Paulo Di Canio is a different kind of manager..... blah blah"

Why do they do this? It's just weird!

Red star Portslade thinks it's usually a sure sign that you're a ****.

Last edited:

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
'Red star Porrtslade thinks it's usually a sure sign that you're a ****.'

Indeed and in this case there may be one or two other subtle clues that the most observant amongst us, trained in picking up the minutiae of body language and use of language, have been able to pick up...

yqu7aqe7.jpg

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
In this case i would say it is down to Di Canio having an ego the size of a planet

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Worthingite believes that the fascist mong thinks he's The Special One.

Only we all know he's the primark Mourinho :D

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Brovion never refers to himself in the third person, do you mate? No I don't.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
After watching the Di Canio interview on SSN, he is constantly referring to himself "Paulo Di Canio is a different kind of manager..... blah blah"

Why do they do this? It's just weird!

Red star Portslade thinks it's usually a sure sign that you're a ****.
He's on SSN soon should be interesting viewing. ???

Last edited:

An interesting question. In the 1930s, there was a huge debate in Italian fascist circles about the inappropriate use of the third person as a means of referring to people. Mussolini even considered making laws about it. Maybe di Canio's curious way of speaking is giving us a clue about his "cultural heritage"?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I always remember this from Beijing Olympics

"In the last 24 hours, everyone has been offering an opinion on Chris Hoy. But what does Chris Hoy think of Chris Hoy?"

"Chris Hoy thinks that the day Chris Hoy refers to Chris Hoy in the third person is the day Chris Hoy disappears up his own arse."

And there, in 26 gloriously instructive words, is why Sir Chris Hoy is Britain's greatest-ever Olympian

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Why is it all coming out now? Didnt see this when he turned Swindon around.

Di Canio's Fascism became clear when he returned to Lazio in the early 2000s. He was loved by the Lazio Ultras, who are famously right wing, and often gave a Nazi salute when he scored. Lazio didn't renew his contract because of the bad publicity he was attracting to the club.

Obviously he was less high profile as a manager when he came to Swindon, but a lot of people were staggered that they could bring themselves to appoint someone with his beliefs and history. I remember that even Swindon fans were uneasy about it - but they soon forgot that when he turned them around.

To some of us he has always been a scumbag. But 'Football' will try to gloss over the important issues, and will concentrate on his eccentric 'character'.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

"In the last 24 hours, everyone has been offering an opinion on Chris Hoy. But what does Chris Hoy think of Chris Hoy?"

"Chris Hoy thinks that the day Chris Hoy refers to Chris Hoy in the third person is the day Chris Hoy disappears up his own arse."

And there, in 26 gloriously instructive words, is why Sir Chris Hoy is Britain's greatest-ever Olympian

Bakero likes this.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The only person I will allow to refer to themselves in third person is The Rock.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed and in this case there may be one or two other subtle clues that the most observant amongst us, trained in picking up the minutiae of body language and use of language, have been able to pick up...

View attachment 41228
He said he's a fascist. But if you now suggest he's a fascist, that's being disrespectful to the integrity of Sunderland football club. WTF?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

SeagullSongs requests video evidence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here