Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One for those around in the 1970s: Who was better, Kuszczak or Grummitt?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Having read through some old Albion match reports from the 1970s, I am struck by what a great goalkeeper Peter Grummitt must have been. Frequently turning in great saves, often from almost certain goals, and installing confidence in his back four. Sounds like our Tomasz, I thought. And the frequency in which Grummitt saved penalties must have made a huge difference to Albion's fortunes as well. Might even have saved us from relegation in 1974.

Just as when our Pole in Goal fumbled against Birmingham, when there was a dip in the ex-Forest and Wednesday keeper's performance, such as in the pre-season to 1974/75 or in the middle of 1975/76, it came as a big shock to all concerned, not least to Peter Taylor, an ex-goalkeeper himself.

No doubt if you ask many people who weren't around in the 1970s who the best out of the two was, they'll say Kuszczak simply because they never saw Grummitt. And maybe they're right anyway.

But I want to ask specifically those who have seen both: who's the better Albion keeper?

kuszczak.jpg

grummitt.jpg

Thanks, as ever!

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fence!

Grummet seemed more commanding to me and made everything look very easy, his positional sense really was first class. Kuszczak is a fantastic shot stopper and not bad on crosses.

Goalkeeping has changed so significantly it is almost impossible to call. Keepers seem advised to parry and punch more rather than catch, probably as the ball moves about more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very difficult to say as Grummitt came to us nearing the end of his career as did Joe Corrigan. Kuszczak is in the middle of his career with a long time still ahead of him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Good question. I feel that Grummitt would just shade it for me however big TK is right up there with him. Maybe not quite a fair comparison as keepers now get more protection from Refs, pitches in the 70's were crap and the balls like lumps of concrete. On the other hand the flight of current footballs seems far less predictable. The very best keepers like Banks, Shilton, Schmichael and Jennings had a 'presence' and an invincible 'aura' about them, I'm not sure that either were quite in that league.

Corrigan was in the twilight of his career and not quite as good but still a hell of a keeper. Steele, Moseley, Sidebottom and Powney were good and Digweed and Keeley were pretty decent too. I hoped that Ben Roberts would do more of a job for us but didn't work out. FDM had some great moments too.

The important thing for me is not just being a good shot stopper and dealing with crosses but commanding the penalty area and giving confidence to the defence. If you are solid at the back then the whole team can play with confidence. Add in a keeper with decent distribution and you're onto a winner.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
look at that jersey not even a club badge was'nt life a easier in those days none of the commercial stuff

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I believe Grummit was not far away from an England call up at a time when England had some fantastic keepers. he came to us after a long career in the top flight and what he brought was experince.

He commanded his area and his back line. Many a game he actually had little to save because of the instructions he gave. He, far more than any Albion keeper I've seen, commanded from the back, all the play was infront of him andhe talked to his backline and they trusted him.

Of course, should anything ever get through, he was there, often pulling off spectacular saves.

We only had him for a season or so but I've had him as my best Albion keeper (although FDM is my fav!) but PIG is certainly the best we've seen for many a year.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I would say Grummitt edges it but it's very close - PIG is certainly the best we've had since Grummitt.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TK slightly edges it for me. PG had all the necessary experience from playing at the top which clearly showed at Division 3 level. TK is a confident keeper who will parry , flick away , punch , fingertip save , use his body and command the box.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going for TK - just. As has been pointed out Grummitt came to us at a much later stage in his career than TK when his best days were behind him. Also we were in the third tier rather than second so the standard wasn't as high.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The memory's going a bit but as well as all those mentioned Dave Hollins wasn't a bad keeper. I didn't see enough of Eric Gill but we didn't lose many games when he was on his record run. Let's just say we've been fortunate to have a lot of very good keepers over the years ( and some very ordinary ones!). Kuszczak is up there with the very best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hard call, we didn't have the opportunity to watch replays of many saves in Grummit's days so the gaffs and the great saves faded from the memory quicker. I'd probably err to TK if pushed, he is playing at a higher level than Grummit did for most matches when he was here.As I say though it is a very hard call and both are exceptional in my experience of Albion's history.

DavePage

I'll go for TK, the playing field hasn't changed, goals the same size, but the ball is lighter and has more movement.
The opposition are fitter, faster and have more ability to do stuff with the ball that we couldn't imagine in PG's time.
Not knocking PG at all, loved watching him, loved the aggression of those teams and because of that the goalkeepers weren't as protected by Refs in those days.
Remember when the studs that went into Perry? leaving the field with blood running from his shorts. That was a nasty vision.
So at the end of the day it's like the Ali/Tyson, different era.
Be proud to have seen both.
It's a question thats hard to resolve, it's a matter of personal opinion, but if you need a decider- look at their mantle pieces (I know a premiership medal that he wasn't really entitled to) he has managed full international caps (against strong competition).
I guess the main hope is that TK plays more games for Brighton than PG, then we are all happy

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Very difficult to say as Grummitt came to us nearing the end of his career as did Joe Corrigan. Kuszczak is in the middle of his career with a long time still ahead of him.

This....

Grumitt wasnt at his best when he came to us but he was an outstanding keeper. Kuszczak can still get better.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Grummitt

Perhaps it depends on the type of keeper that you favour. T K is great at the the reflex shot-stopping, but is less likely to catch and secure the ball.

Grummit was IMHO better at handling and defusing a situation . There was more an air of calm authority about him .

Both are good keepers, Grummit has my vote

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Close call but I'd say Grummitt just edges it. He looked absolutely dominant in his area and I can't recall any absolute howlers. Kuszczak is the best since PG though and there's not really a fag paper between them.

I would question this idea that Grummitt was at the end of his career when he joined us while Kuszczak had time on his side. PG was 30 when he played his first game for us, the young TK was, er, 30.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I believe Grummit was not far away from an England call up at a time when England had some fantastic keepers. he came to us after a long career in the top flight and what he brought was experince.

He commanded his area and his back line. Many a game he actually had little to save because of the instructions he gave. He, far more than any Albion keeper I've seen, commanded from the back, all the play was infront of him andhe talked to his backline and they trusted him.

.Of course, should anything ever get through, he was there, often pulling off spectacular saves.

We only had him for a season or so but I've had him as my best Albion keeper (although FDM is my fav!) but PIG is certainly the best we've seen for many a year.

Sorry to quote myself but thought of this las t night as PIG had some shaky moments when balls were played back to him.

To counter that though, the rules were different and PG could pick up pass backs

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder if his middle name started with an I ?
Would then be the original P.I.G.

Sadly, his parents chose to call him Peter Malcolm Grummitt.

(Definitely looks more of an Ian than a Malcolm, I reckon).

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts on this thread. Most enjoyable to read.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Grummitt was as near perfection as you can get. I only found out many years later due to the power of the Internet, that he had already had a very long career as a brilliant goalie from an incredibly young age at Weds and Forest.

Once woke him up, by knocking on his door after school, at his then Saltdean home .... To get his autograph.:facepalm:

Kuzschak. Very good. Distribution with feet sometimes naff, and a bit lax, but a couple of levels above Brez and Ank. Glad we have him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here