Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Duncan Smith thinks he can live on £53 a week. Lets make him

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's a lot more than other countries, assuming they get free prescriptions, housing benefit, free health care and so on. Granted, it is not a lot, but how much should someone who is able to work be given?

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
It's a lot more than other countries, assuming they get free prescriptions, housing benefit, free health care and so on. Granted, it is not a lot, but how much should someone who is able to work be given?

That's not the point I'm making though. Have you not been unemployed where you can't even afford to live. That choice of either eating or heating?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont think anyone thinks it is easy to live on that amount, just as most people accept it isnt easy working for a living either.

You cannot keep paying people £25,000 + a year not to work.

There seems some sort of political culture where state support is demanded by everyone for everything and you are quickly condemned if you challenge it.

oldboy

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
If he or his tory cronies lived on a council estate they would hang. Themseves after a week.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's not the point I'm making though. Have you not been unemployed where you can't even afford to live. That choice of either eating or heating?

I got myself in to a pickle in London. Ended up eating beans and pasta for a year and growing a mountain of debt. In hindsight, I should have taken assistance offered and would have been bettered off than being self-employed.

I do think that IDS was ill-advised to say that (understatement), but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

However, they are chasing after the wrong people to plug the deficit.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
I dont think anyone thinks it is easy to live on that amount, just as most people accept it isnt easy working for a living either.

You cannot keep paying people £25,000 + a year not to work.

There seems some sort of political culture where state support is demanded by everyone for everything and you are quickly condemned if you challenge it.

I'd like to know where 25K+ comes from. When I was out of work for about a year. There was no way i was getting that kinda money.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
I got myself in to a pickle in London. Ended up eating beans and pasta for a year and growing a mountain of debt. In hindsight, I should have taken assistance offered and would have been bettered off than being self-employed.

I do think that IDS was ill-advised to say that (understatement), but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

However, they are chasing after the wrong people to plug the deficit.

I think the government have caused a divide within the UK population. Middle class workers look down on non workers. I have seen it myself. When I was on the dole. People would call me a Jeremy Kyle Scrounger.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having now read an article in The Guardian about this interview, I see that the claimant had £53 a week available AFTER rent and other bills were paid. That is £53 per week for food, or bus fares maybe if job hunting etc..

Friend of my wife claims to spend £30 per week to feed her AND her partner, granted she buys 'value' products, and shops post 8pm to get the best special offers, and actually home cooks rather than but ready made products. £53 a week is starting to sound quite achievable.

Dec 29, 2011
Having now read an article in The Guardian about this interview, I see that the claimant had £53 a week available AFTER rent and other bills were paid. That is £53 per week for food, or bus fares maybe if job hunting etc..

Friend of my wife claims to spend £30 per week to feed her AND her partner, granted she buys 'value' products, and shops post 8pm to get the best special offers, and actually home cooks rather than but ready made products. £53 a week is starting to sound quite achievable.

£53/week for food and luxuries? For free?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here