Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the highest number of points a team has been relegated with?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From a 24 team division.

I can't help thinking the record is going to get broken.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
From a 24 team division.

I can't help thinking the record is going to get broken.

Ian Holloway took Leicester down with 52 points from The Championship a few years ago - think that's the record at least as far as this division goes in its present 24-team, 3 teams down format. That has to be smashed this year.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Ian Holloway took Leicester down with 52 points from The Championship a few years ago - think that's the record at least as far as this division goes in its present 24-team, 3 teams down format. That has to be smashed this year.

Agree, I also think that will be higher this year 53/54 and you may still go down. Usually 1 point a game will send the bottom three down, however only Bristol City are currently, played 40 points 40. Huddersfield at 3rd from bottom have played 39, points 47 its been mad this year.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I can't be bothered to work it all out, but with teams below us needing to take points off of others to leapfrog us we must be safe by now with 60 points

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football League show suggested 56 points as the safety point.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It follows, that a team will get into the Play-Offs with less than the normal target of 75 points.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can't be bothered to work it all out, but with teams below us needing to take points off of others to leapfrog us we must be safe by now with 60 points

Hope so after last year's run in.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I heard earlier today that anywhere up to eighth can still mathematically go down, which suggest we're safe. I know there's only one team at the moment who on their own can't catch us, but it's a bit more complicated, because not every team can win all of their remaining games. e.g. Peterborough and Sheffield Wednesday still have to play each other, so they can't both get all their remaining points.

As for highest points, in 95/96 and 2007/08 the team in the third relegation spot went down with 52 points, I doubt that's an all time high, but it's the highest in the last twenty years in the championship.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I heard earlier today that anywhere up to eighth can still mathematically go down, which suggest we're safe. I know there's only one team at the moment who on their own can't catch us, but it's a bit more complicated, because not every team can win all of their remaining games. e.g. Peterborough and Sheffield Wednesday still have to play each other, so they can't both get all their remaining points.

As for highest points, in 95/96 and 2007/08 the team in the third relegation spot went down with 52 points, I doubt that's an all time high, but it's the highest in the last twenty years in the championship.

Mathematically, as things stand, only Cardiff, Hull and Watford are safe from relegation and only Bristol City cannot make the playoffs!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Might not be enough. My predicted bottom nine now looks like this:-

58 Ipswich Town
57 Blackpool
57 Huddersfield Town
56 Sheffield Wednesday
55 Blackburn Rovers
55 Wolverhampton Wndrs
55 Barnsley