Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waking up feeling refreshed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few times recently, I've woken up pretty early (for me at least) and felt refreshed enough to get out of bed despite the early hour.

I've heard there are supposed advantages to waking up at certain points in your sleep cycle, and wonder if I just fluked hitting one of those spots.

I know there are devices and apps that try to wake you up at 'the right time' in order to assist with this. Does anyone do this, or have any experience with it? It makes a great difference to wake up feeling bright and breezy instead of the usual uuurrrgggghhhhhh.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, the app that wakes you during REM sleep works well (sleep cycle). .. but unfortunately doesn't work if a) you have a memory foam mattress, b) you don't sleep alone or c) you've been drinking the night before.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
A few times recently, I've woken up pretty early (for me at least) and felt refreshed enough to get out of bed despite the early hour.

I've heard there are supposed advantages to waking up at certain points in your sleep cycle, and wonder if I just fluked hitting one of those spots.

I know there are devices and apps that try to wake you up at 'the right time' in order to assist with this. Does anyone do this, or have any experience with it? It makes a great difference to wake up feeling bright and breezy instead of the usual uuurrrgggghhhhhh.

I always wake up feeling bright and breezy. Wears off during the day mind you.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I always wake up feeling bright and breezy. Wears off during the day mind you.

Interesting, it's the opposite for me and always has been. Feel rough as hell for the first three hours of the day and usually unable to eat anything... have always been the same. Feel most awake from about 5pm.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I always wake feeling like a sack of spanners, I then go on to sluggish, tepid, loathsome and slothful. I go to bed feeling like a million dollars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've never been a lay in guy.

In 30 years of employment, from paper round onwards, I've probably only had just 2 jobs that didn't start before 7am.

Therefore 8am is a lay in, 11pm is a late night, and afternoon naps are whizzer.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Interesting, it's the opposite for me and always has been. Feel rough as hell for the first three hours of the day and usually unable to eat anything... have always been the same. Feel most awake from about 5pm.

Just as a matter of interest, do you smoke, apparently studies show that smokers wake up likes this much more than non smokers. I smoke, I never wake up hungry and usually feel shirt for an hour or so.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I went out on the lash yesterday and woke up at 4.00am feeling shit with a banging headache. Fell back to sleep and got up at 7.00am and fine pretty good now. Weird.

D

Deleted member 18477

Varies for me. Sometimes I feel great other times I feel butters!

For me I think it depends on what exercise ive done, what I've eaten, how stressful my days been, how much caffeine I've drunk etc.

For me it's all about a routine/pattern during the week. Come Sunday night I need to be asleep before 11 to set up my week. If I cock up Sunday night I generally play catch up till around Wednesday.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm normally the sort to be woken by a vigorous dream, and this morning was no different - although memories of a cat waving its arse at me as it was looking for some rough love, explained to me by Ringo Starr his fat controller came into the station tones, are still be flushed clear. This morning it was about a toilet visit during a long and winding misty cycle and this eerie figure stood next to the one urine bowl, facing outwardly and fully clothed, silent and bespectacled. I was lost, undoubtedly, and then thrust into a panic as this obscure person both lurked and then set into chase after me as i got within 100 yards of my cycle. I remember the panting and the internal camerawork being so close to my face that i could have gone into ill-placed song like the Les Mis people. I awoke with a startle, a little groggy and uncleansed, and read an article on female genital mutilation.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I'm normally the sort to be woken by a vigorous dream, and this morning was no different - although memories of a cat waving its arse at me as it was looking for some rough love, explained to me by Ringo Starr his fat controller came into the station tones, are still be flushed clear. This morning it was about a toilet visit during a long and winding misty cycle and this eerie figure stood next to the one urine bowl, facing outwardly and fully clothed, silent and bespectacled. I was lost, undoubtedly, and then thrust into a panic as this obscure person both lurked and then set into chase after me as i got within 100 yards of my cycle. I remember the panting and the internal camerawork being so close to my face that i could have gone into ill-placed song like the Les Mis people. I awoke with a startle, a little groggy and uncleansed, and read an article on female genital mutilation.

You're brain works in mysterious ways! Brilliant :bowdown:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've got one of the Android apps that monitors sleep and has a 30-minute window to try and wake me up during light sleep. I've had mixed results with it, often because I'm in deep sleep during the whole 30-minute period. The graphs it produces are quite interesting, I don't seem to be able to sustain REM sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure about sleep patterns and cycles but a sustained period of 7 hours sleep, getting up at 7 and starting the day with a run has me at my best. I find this also becomes self-fulfilling; ie a few days of this enables me to nod off immediately and get a full night of uninterrupted Z's.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC

I usto work with a bloke who never had an alarm clock and only relied on his body clock, even when he went on holiday has had to be up at silly o'clock he could just wake up as and when, **** knows how!, I have done it a few times!

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I usto work with a bloke who never had an alarm clock and only relied on his body clock, even when he went on holiday has had to be up at silly o'clock he could just wake up as and when, **** knows how!, I have done it a few times!

Yep - I do this as well! Was once told to tap your head against the pillow to correlate to the hour at which you need to wake up - e.g. 5 taps = 5AM. I know its b*llocks but I always wake up exactly when planned without an alarm. The tricky bit is when you need to wake up at 15 mins past the hour!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm like this. I still set the alarm as a back up when I need to get up really early but always wake up a 5-10 mins before it goes off - even for stupid get up times like 4 or 5am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here