Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Breakfast Report

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I only wish that the report on Brighton fans had been their April Fool's spoof. Soft, southern, nancy boys has never been so apt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit cringeworthy, a petition is gonna make zero difference and I imagine the gay chants will just get worse because of it. No mention of the you're too ugly to be gay comeback either...unsuprisingly

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
How embarrassing...where were the fans saying "not Bothered" because they're the majority.

Makes us out to be a bunch of simpering divvies.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Sticks and stones. Too easy to be offended.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Makes Brighton out to be a progressive club imo.

There's more $ in sponsorship to be made from being perceived as that than being the typical brain dead moronic fanset of so many other clubs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Makes Brighton out to be a progressive club imo.

There's more $ in sponsorship to be made from being perceived as that than being the typical brain dead moronic fanset of so many other clubs.
Fair enough, but I think the opposite. I think it marks us out as being regressive and Victorian where the parameters of what is deemed 'acceptable behaviour' are very narrow. And I'm not just talking about football here, I think there is a whole wider argument of what constitutes 'free speech' in the 21st century. (Probably the wrong place for this and I haven't got the time to expound further).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fair enough, but I think the opposite. I think it marks us out as being regressive and Victorian where the parameters of what is deemed 'acceptable behaviour' are very narrow. And I'm not just talking about football here, I think there is a whole wider argument of what constitutes 'free speech' in the 21st century. (Probably the wrong place for this and I haven't got the time to expound further).

Marks us out as regressive to who though?

Definitely no businesses looking to invest or be associated with a product.

The idea of freedom of speech is a myth anyway. You can say what you like in the privacy of your own home. However you don't have such rights in public.

After all, it is 2013. If someones so brain dead they need to use gay as insult then society really will be better off if these people never breed.

The whole "it's just banter" line is the stupidest excuse I've ever heard to justify being a complete moron.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Marks us out as regressive to who though?

Definitely no businesses looking to invest or be associated with a product.

The idea of freedom of speech is a myth anyway. You can say what you like in the privacy of your own home. However you don't have such rights in public.

After all, it is 2013. If someones so brain dead they need to use gay as insult then society really will be better off if these people never breed.

The whole "it's just banter" line is the stupidest excuse I've ever heard to justify being a complete moron.

Yes. I think that neatly sums up the intolerant attitude I was complaining about, with a nice dash of eugenics thrown in as well!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Indeed, a bit of banter is okay but people seem to be able to get away with really horrible abuse by acting as if it is good natured. Despicable

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rather be tolerant of racist, sexist or homophobic abuse would you?

You see this is the problem. Today people seem only to be capable of acceptable/unacceptable, yes/no binary positions and every argument immediately gets reduced to its polar opposites. If I'm in favour of tolerance I must automatically be tolerant of all abuse, is that what you're saying?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
You see this is the problem. Today people seem only to be capable of acceptable/unacceptable, yes/no binary positions and every argument immediately gets reduced to its polar opposites. If I'm in favour of tolerance I must automatically be tolerant of all abuse, is that what you're saying?

Yes; you are either tolerant or intolerant. You cant be semi-tolerant or partly intolerant. It is a binary position. So if you are not intolerant of homophobic abuse you must therefore be tolerant of it shirely.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes; you are either tolerant or intolerant. You cant be semi-tolerant or partly intolerant. It is a binary position. So if you are not intolerant of homophobic abuse you must therefore be tolerant of it shirely.

No, sorry, I fundamentally disagree, I think that's exactly what you can be. Between mainstream 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable' there are vast shades of grey, and that's before you've even considered factors such as nuance, context, intent and subjective interpretation. With regards to this particular issue no one really agrees on what IS 'homophobic chanting' for a start, indeed one could make a case that a group of (largely) heterosexual men chanting about sexual practices to another group of (largely) heterosexual men isn't homophobic at all. Boorish and unpleasant yes, but not illegal and not something that could or should be 'banned'.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
Those that started the anti racist chanting campaign were dismissed when they started but look how that turned out. Homophobic chanting has no place in a tolerant, modern society and to justify it on grounds of "free speech" would have been an argument Hitler would have been proud of. If collectively we do not protect the rights of minorities one day we will all lose all our rights. We should never tolerate the majority being able to abuse those in the minority unable to defend themselves.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

To be fair if you're only tolerant to abuse shirely then you are semi-tolerant. I find it unfair to be intolerant outside the shires but not within.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Now on BBC Southeast! :banghead:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here