Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

call 999 and get sued-non april fools story

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Many will jump on the rather predictable blame 'health and safety' bandwagon that the media likes to peddle or even that the numpty PC should have been looking where they are going but in this case it does seem reasonable common sense for the site owner to have identify the hazard and simply painted the kerb so it is more visible. If a PC didn't spot it as a trip hazard then every chance that an ordinary punter will trip over it anyway, so was a reasonably foreseeable (and avoidable) accident waiting to happen. Therefore a potentially winnable claim.

Don't know all the details of this incident but right or wrong I suspect there's a good chance the PC's claim will be successful as the law has changed and the unions are very good at pursuing claims on behalf of their members for workplace injuries. This site would just be another typical workplace for Police and other emergency services. While property owners were often found to have owed a duty of care toward trespassers, the same never applied to members of the emergency services, until recently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unfortunatly i dont think it is an april fools, in the news yesturday. sad state of affairs, the policewoman and her union should be ashamed of themselves. the worst thing is, if injured, she'd be covered by her employer's insurance anyway, so why sue the garage owner? if i were him i'd pack up, because there will ordinary punters trying it soon.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
16oshg.jpg

WPC Kelly Jones.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Many will jump on the rather predictable blame 'health and safety' bandwagon that the media likes to peddle or even that the numpty PC should have been looking where they are going but in this case it does seem reasonable common sense for the site owner to have identify the hazard and simply painted the kerb so it is more visible. If a PC didn't spot it as a trip hazard then every chance that an ordinary punter will trip over it anyway, so was a reasonably foreseeable (and avoidable) accident waiting to happen. Therefore a potentially winnable claim.

Don't know all the details of this incident but right or wrong I suspect there's a good chance the PC's claim will be successful as the law has changed and the unions are very good at pursuing claims on behalf of their members for workplace injuries. This site would just be another typical workplace for Police and other emergency services. While property owners were often found to have owed a duty of care toward trespassers, the same never applied to members of the emergency services, until recently.

this is absolute cack

There should be no duty of care or carrying out risk assessments by members of the public when considering calling the Police. This is modern day peddled filth.

The Police must know and i would suggest this is mentioned to them before they sign on the dotted line that there is a certain element of risk associated with their job.

I would not expect an officer leap between tall buildings when chasing a burglar nor would i expect them to enter a crack den full of armed villians alone with little more than a truncheon and a radio,i am fairly sure most of them in this situation would be able to carry out a very quick "risk assessment " and conclude that looks bloody dangerous i think i will call for back up.

i do however expect them to be able to walk around in the dark and get from point A (the road) to point B (the pavement) and not consider this to be a dangerous hazard and sue the person that put them in this life threatening situation.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If I ever call the police to my place I'll be sure to point out the stairs in case they trip, tell them not to lean against a radiator in case it is hot and if I offer them a drink it'll only be a cold one so they don't burn their mouth

abc

Jan 6, 2007

Please please tell me your post is indeed an April Fool!

Paint the kerb.... Are you kidding?

There has to be some level of personal responsibility that we all have to take in our lives surely? I would happily fulfil my personal responsibility by rounding up all the personal injury lawyers and exiling them to a remote south Atlantic island where they can spend their days suing each other.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I'd assume a torch would be standard issue police equipment?

If her belly was a bit smaller she might have been able to see her feet...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Please please tell me your post is indeed an April Fool!

Paint the kerb.... Are you kidding?

There has to be some level of personal responsibility that we all have to take in our lives surely? I would happily fulfil my personal responsibility by rounding up all the personal injury lawyers and exiling them to a remote south Atlantic island where they can spend their days suing each other.

Yep, of course the main thread of my post was tongue in cheek.

Sadly we imported the litiguous culture from the good old US of A many years ago and now we have this ambulance chasing mentality. It is giving genuine health safety issues a very bad name.

On the other there is a real lack of 'common sense' among much of society these days such that if they are not wrapped in cotton wool and drip fed the bleeding obvious that they expect the emergency services to pick up the pieces, hence all the ridiculous 999 calls about TV remotes not working, blah blah. Even a simple coat of paint to highlight a trip hazard isn't too much given some of the numpties that are about, although its a bit surprising that a PC fell foul of it.

This case will only undermine sympathy for the really genuine serious workplace injury claims that are rightly pursued where something quite reasonable and forseeable was not done.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't see what the problem is. I'm not going to claim to know all the facts nor the regulations pertaining to identifying hazards. Assuming that the hazard in question should be highlighted under health and safety regulations and the owner of the garage has failed to do this then the PC has the same right as any member of public to sue in the event of an avoidable trip. If any of you visited the place and tripped on a hidden step then you would consider your right to sue. If no regulations have been breached then I agree it is more a case of looking where you are going.

Some people ignore their responsibility to other members of the public. The same as if you are a property occupier, you have a responsibility to anyone that visits your property.

edit. Having read the report, it would seem she was wandering where the public don't go so perhaps she should have been exercising far more caution.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I can't see what the problem is. I'm not going to claim to know all the facts nor the regulations pertaining to identifying hazards. Assuming that the hazard in question should be highlighted under health and safety regulations and the owner of the garage has failed to do this then the PC has the same right as any member of public to sue in the event of an avoidable trip. If any of you visited the place and tripped on a hidden step then you would consider your right to sue. If no regulations have been breached then I agree it is more a case of looking where you are going.

Some people ignore their responsibility to other members of the public. The same as if you are a property occupier, you have a responsibility to anyone that visits your property.

edit. Having read the report, it would seem she was wandering where the public don't go so perhaps she should have been exercising far more caution.

It was a kerb, hardly a hidden hazard. It was dark, but maybe she should have had a torch. Utterly ridiculous IMO - she didn't even seem to be hurt at the time. Maybe there's more to this story than is being told.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If companies and councils would stop settling out of court and actually take their case to court it might put a bit of pressure on the claims culture. As it is a lot of claims are settled very quickly and a claim is put into the insurance company which in turn increases insurance for everyone.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I fell down my steps in January and I am sueing myself. However I intend to fight it vigorously because I was a clumsy sod and, having lived here for 12 years, should have seen it. One of my solicitors, acting for me, thinks that I have a very good case as I should have made it clear to myself that there was a step there.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It was a kerb, hardly a hidden hazard. It was dark, but maybe she should have had a torch. Utterly ridiculous IMO - she didn't even seem to be hurt at the time. Maybe there's more to this story than is being told.

Yeah..... Easy money to be made.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i heard this on the radio the other day, they had the garage owneron there, and he did say that we should have a minister for common sense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here