Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me out here!

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
My wife is going to see the Manet Art exhibition at The Royal Academy in London tomorrow with her mum and sister. Overall cost of the 3 tickets is £ 45. This is to see (her words) ' hundreds of priceless , world famous paintings'
I have paid nearly £70 for 3 tickets to see Brighton v Charlton on Tuesday night. This is to see (her words again) ' 90 minutes of second rate Football'
I know who is getting the better deal but the figures don't really stack up.
Help settle a good natured disagreement! :bhasign:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
She must have a good argument against you if you have to resort to NSC to help you out!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Promise you'll make it up up to her later. The art gallery will always be there; the match will only happen once. Negotiate and come to a compromise.

Hold on, couldn't you fit in both? 10-4 in the art museum, get the train back and be at Falmer by 6:30?

EDIT: Just re-read the OP. Sorry, nothing to see here. :facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Promise you'll make it up up to her later. The art gallery will always be there; the match will only happen once. Negotiate and come to a compromise.

Hold on, couldn't you fit in both? 10-4 in the art museum, get the train back and be at Falmer by 6:30?

Why? The art gallery visit is Monday the match is Tuesday.

The Manet exhibition closes on 14 April. The Albion's season runs into May.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My wife is going to see the Manet Art exhibition at The Royal Academy in London tomorrow with her mum and sister. Overall cost of the 3 tickets is £ 45. This is to see (her words) ' hundreds of priceless , world famous paintings'
I have paid nearly £70 for 3 tickets to see Brighton v Charlton on Tuesday night. This is to see (her words again) ' 90 minutes of second rate Football'
Those paintings will still be earning money in 100 years time......our second rate footballers and indeed all of us won't be.

Tell her to do 100 keepy ups while you draw a picture:thumbsup:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The argument is as follows.....
Manet's work is preserved for posterity. It can be revisited over and over again. It is beautiful and glorious and permanent. It won't go away. Like an old friend you can look him up when you like.
Brighton v Charlton is a transient, here today, gone tomorrow experience. You can't replicate it. You are paying for a one-off moment in life. 90 minutes of raw, unbridled emotion. You are paying for a memory, that only you can store away. You can't revisit it, therefore you have to be there. What you are paying for is the chance of something happening, something so special, that in years to come, a smile will come over your face when you tell someone..." I was there on April 2nd 2013, when we beat Charlton 8-1 and Leonardo Ulloa scored 6 goals."
( Now isn't that a thought )

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
The argument is as follows.....
Manet's work is preserved for posterity. It can be revisited over and over again. It is beautiful and glorious and permanent. It won't go away. Like an old friend you can look him up when you like.
Brighton v Charlton is a transient, here today, gone tomorrow experience. You can't replicate it. You are paying for a one-off moment in life. 90 minutes of raw, unbridled emotion. You are paying for a memory, that only you can store away. You can't revisit it, therefore you have to be there. What you are paying for is the chance of something happening, something so special, that in years to come, a smile will come over your face when you tell someone..." I was there on April 2nd 2013, when we beat Charlton 8-1 and Leonardo Ulloa scored 6 goals."
( Now isn't that a thought )

Brilliant!!...I'll be using your argument in future

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
If she's not up for going to Falmer take someone else, don't waste your money on someone who won't appreciate it. "Second rate football"???? Have you gone and married some arrogant Top 4 supporter who's never actually been to see their 'team' play? She certainly hasn't seen the Albion if she said that!!

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
The Manet exhibition only has some of his best portraiture, not into hundreds of pictures and by no way examples of his whole range of art. The Goya-inspired Spanish influence on his work is not represented, so the Albion's flairmeisters may not be over-impressed by this omission.

As men are from Mars and women from Venus, it doesn't seem worth getting into an argument over this. The Albion tickets include an element of travel; I don't think the Royal Academy includes a railcard with the admission fee last time I checked, plus a pie and a pint can be a bit pricey in Fortnum and Masons across the road.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Manet at the RA is sold out tomorrow, and for most of the rest of the run. Plenty of tickets still available for Charlton on Tuesday.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Remind her that you will see exhibits from around the world. That the exhibition is so popular that over 25,000 people will be there at the same time, and the chance to see the rare Vicente as well. Well worth the Monet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here