Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Murray - World Number 2.

larus

Can't see a thread on this. Just won the Miami open, goes above Federer in the world rankings. Not played his best today, but still won. Hopefully he'll have a better season on clay this year.

True British sporting great (until he loses anyway).

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Shit game by both players, somebody had to win and it could have been either, but neither deserved it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Happy to accept that I was wrong about him. Never expected him to win a grand slam but the defeat at Wimbledon and the win in the Olympics made me realise that he was not the choker I had him down as for years.

Getting Lendl as a coach seems to have been a master stroke.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I had a quick look when he was 3 games down in the first set and didn't think he would have stood much of a chance. No one should expect them to be on top form after playing every other day for the best part of a fortnight. Congrats to him.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Shit game by both players, somebody had to win and it could have been either, but neither deserved it.

Do you really mean that or understand what you have said.

The temperature was 80 c. with, more importantly, huge humidity and both were struggling with those conditions, Ferrer had the physio. on several occasions so realistically you could not expect to see a Wimbledon type final.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
well done Andy, now to chase #1!

Not a chance!

He's only got to Number 2 because Fed is playing Less tournaments & Nadal has been out for months

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So are you saying he shouldn't even bother ?

Nope, I'm not saying he's not a good player. Nor am I saying that He's not the best Brit in 70 years. Just saying that he's not good enough for World No. 1.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The temperature was 80 c. with, more importantly, huge humidity and both were struggling with those conditions

I'm not surprised - that smashes the highest ever temperature on earth by more than 20 deg - I should think they'd be struggling.

(I think you mean 80 F)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just won the Miami open
Isn't it the Miami Masters? Typical US shit, trying to act like it's another grand slam event when it clearly isn't.

I'm not surprised - that smashes the highest ever recorded temperature on earth by more than 20 deg
Fixed

larus

Isn't it the Miami Masters? Typical US shit, trying to act like it's another grand slam event when it clearly isn't.
Well, to be pedantic, on the ATP site, it says:

MURRAY SAVES 1 M.P. FOR SECOND MIAMI CROWN
Andy Murray dramatically captures his second Sony Open Tennis title and ninth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy on Sunday to replace Roger Federer at No. 2 in the Emirates ATP Rankings.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Murray did't serve well but, by God, he has guts and Lendl has given him a mental resilience and greater level of control about his game.

Playing a Spaniard in the heat and coming through is a fine achievement, and he's worthy of that No. 2 ranking.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Really pleased for the 'Brit', a sweaty that doesn't choke. When he loses however...

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Nope, I'm not saying he's not a good player. Nor am I saying that He's not the best Brit in 70 years. Just saying that he's not good enough for World No. 1.

With the top players only intrested in slams and masters its quite possible to gain or lose massive amounts of ranking points in a space of one or two tornaments. Andy had a really poor clay court season last year leading upto the French, if he can go far in places like Monte Carlo and Rome he will close the gap considerably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here