Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garden Birds

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Don't you just love watching them? With just a mix of black and white sunflower seeds, i've got Greenfinches, Goldfinch, Robins and Chaffinches .

And a couple of Great Tits are regularly outside my window.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I had a lovely pair of Wood Pigeons in my garden. Fed them all winter and last summer. Last week woke up to a garden full of feathers. Only one on the fence now.
I get a proper mixture in my garden, just so worried about the local moggies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Found sunflower hearts are popular.

Niger seeds never had any takers.

On the grass, a mix of seeds and mealworms did the business, with masses of Blackbirds dominating seeing off everything else and infighting.

Once I've finished the garden, I'll look at various feeders etc, so that all types including Robins and Wrens get a look in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a lovely pair of Wood Pigeons in my garden. Fed them all winter and last summer. Last week woke up to a garden full of feathers. Only one on the fence now.
I get a proper mixture in my garden, just so worried about the local moggies.

We had the same. Sparrowhawks were the cause. Just nature.

Generally, cats may kill but leave at that ie not ripping apart, eating, and leaving just feathers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a woodpecker local to me, and it's great to see a 'different' bird, esp one as stunning as Woody.

Other than that, they kind of pass me by.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Where we used to live it backed onto woodland and the garden birds were dominated by tits (great, blue, long tailed and coal) as well as nuthatches and the odd woodpecker. Last year we moved adjacent to more open farmland, and thought the garden bird count would drop, but instead its a rich mix of finches (green and gold) as well as blackbirds, thrushes and a lot of sparrows that nest in our hedge (as well as a wren nesting on the eaves of the garage). Also a large number of woodpigeons and and increasing number of magpies. We also have a resident pheasant much to the annoyance of our trained gundogs! No cats round our way, the dogs see to that!

In the farmland opposite, the Curlews are getting active and the last two nights I have seen barn owls hunting at dusk.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
hedge sparrows,black birds,wren,loads of wood pigeons,robins, ring necked doves, and plenty of seagulls.
and three cats who look but don't touch.
and a bloody sparrowhawk who is about but as yet has not had any of the birds( they come from Shinewater and some tame ones bought in to deter Seagulls at the crematorium) he/she looks very scrawny and as I say has not caught anything as yet

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I only get wood pigeons.
They tend to scare everything else away...right greedy *******s they are too

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes it's great to see so many garden birds around in spite of the protracted cold weather. Mrs. SoC has diligently kept the bird feeders well stocked and we get all sorts of Finches but also good to see decent numbers of Sparrows as these seem to have dwindled in the last couple of years. We are close to farm land and the coastal marshland so see Kestrels, Barn Owls, Curlews, Lapwings, Egrets and Marsh Harriers.

Slightly more exotic sightings were Waxwing (very colourful and quite sociable) plus the odd Spoonbill and Arctic RedPoll. Best of all a couple of weeks back we had a White Tailed Eagle just south of here, being mobbed by Buzzards. The Eagle was huge. Funnily enough it hasn't been seen around since the time of the Palace game.

Still sight a few Canaries (of the green and yellow type) in these parts but thankfully they are quite subdued at the moment (te he).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One of the joys of living in Rural Sussex is the amount of wildlife you can see almost every day. I have seen the following in our garden over the past few years:

Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Bullfinches, Blackbirds, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks, Thrushes, Wood Pigeons, Ring Collared Doves, Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Green Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Siskins, Flycatchers, Goldcrests, Jackdaws (dropping sticks down our chimney - bugger off!) Fieldfares, Jays, Magpies and Sparrowhawks plus a Pheasant. We hear Tawny Owls at night on a regular basis in the Spring and Summer months but haven't seen one as yet. Also get to hear Cuckoos, Larks and Nightingales (although rarely see them) at the right time of year.

It helps living in the midst of woodland plus we have several bird feeders on our trees which we keep going all year round.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Blue Tits,Wren, Greenfinches, Blackbird, Chaffinches, Robin, 'Collared Doves, Pied Wagtails, Red leg Partridge all seen in 15 minutes. Marvellous Scenes

Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Tuscany fried bats. All washed down with a 100bc claret.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
One of the joys of living in Rural Sussex is the amount of wildlife you can see almost every day. I have seen the following in our garden over the past few years:

Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Bullfinches, Blackbirds, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks, Thrushes, Wood Pigeons, Ring Collared Doves, Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Green Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Siskins, Flycatchers, Goldcrests, Jackdaws (dropping sticks down our chimney - bugger off!) Fieldfares, Jays, Magpies and Sparrowhawks plus a Pheasant. We hear Tawny Owls at night on a regular basis in the Spring and Summer months but haven't seen one as yet. Also get to hear Cuckoos, Larks and Nightingales (although rarely see them) at the right time of year.

It helps living in the midst of woodland plus we have several bird feeders on our trees which we keep going all year round.

these ...the only thing I mist about our time in wales

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here