Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man for Man Better than 1991?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We're on course to finish better than last year and hopefully in the 2nd tier Play offs. The last time we did that was 1991.

Now I was wondering about comparing the team of 1991 to our current squad. Most notable is the tiny size of the 1991 squad (all those cortizione injections performing miracles).

From back then.
Perry Digweed
John Crumplin / Ian Chapman
Gary Chivers /
Steve Gatting / Nicky Bisset / Paul McCarthy
Colin Pates / Ijovan
Dean Wilkins
Robert Codner
Mark Barham / John Robinson
Clive Walker
Mike Small / Garry Nelson
John Byrne / Bryan Wade

So compared to our current crop, the current team is more technically talented but as a team are they better?
I really think that the current class of 2012/13 can make it to the play offs at the very least.
I think its close but in my view this current team are better and can go one further than the 1991 team
What do you think?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We're on course to finish better than last year and hopefully in the 2nd tier Play offs. The last time we did that was 1991.

Now I was wondering about comparing the team of 1991 to our current squad. Most notable is the tiny size of the 1991 squad (all those cortizione injections performing miracles).

From back then.
Perry Digweed
John Crumplin / Ian Chapman
Gary Chivers /
Steve Gatting / Nicky Bisset / Paul McCarthy
Colin Pates / Ijovan
Dean Wilkins
Robert Codner
Mark Barham / John Robinson
Clive Walker
Mike Small / Garry Nelsonn
John Byrne / Bryan Wade

So compared to our current crop, the current team is more technically talented but as a team are they better?
I really think that the current class of 2012/13 can make it to the play offs at the very least.
I think its close but in my view this current team are better and can go one further than the 1991 team
What do you think?

I'd say we are better in all departments now. Until Ulloa arrived I'd have give the forward line of 91 the nod easily but with Buckley and KLL and Ulloa in the middle we probably have as many goals in us as the Small and Byrne partnership when you take into account Lopez and Orlandi's contributions. Defensively we are light years ahead of the team that got into the playoffs with a negative goal difference.

Most importantly the quality of this division now is MUCH better than it was in 91. Also how many of the 91 team looked capable of playing at the top level in comparison to the current team?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
At least 7 of the 91 side were proven at the top level, which is probably an indication of how football has changed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'd say we are better in all departments now. Until Ulloa arrived I'd have give the forward line of 91 the nod easily but with Buckley and KLL and Ulloa in the middle we probably have as many goals in us as the Small and Byrne partnership when you take into account Lopez and Orlandi's contributions. Defensively we are light years ahead of the team that got into the playoffs with a negative goal difference.

Most importantly the quality of this division now is MUCH better than it was in 91. Also how many of the 91 team looked capable of playing at the top level in comparison to the current team?

I thought Pates and Gatting were a good pairing and the only thing that let them down was a couple of Hammerings like a 6-0 at Oldham on the old plastic pitch. Otherwise they were pretty solid. Pates was a very good CB. Digweed was maybe not as good as PIG but much better than Ankers. Chivers was a decent RB. Crumplin, well just genius. So I don't think the back line was bad, they just had a couple of off days which looked bad on paper.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Pates and Gatting were a good pairing and the only thing that let them down was a couple of Hammerings like a 6-0 and Oldham on the old plastic pitch. Otherwise they were pretty solid. Pates was a very good CB. Digweed was maybe not as good as PIG but much better than Ankers. Chivers was a decent RB. Crumplin, well just genius. So I don't think the back lone was bad, they just had a couple of off days which looked bad on paper.

Lol Crumplin would not be playing in a top team in this division these days, he'd just about get into a League One team IMO. He was mostly bad to dreadful with a couple of brilliant performances thrown in along the way. Most famously Liverpool away when he had John Barnes in his pocket.

Pates was good but well,past his best, with dodgy knees I believe. Gatting was a decent 2nd tier player. I guess you could say the same about El Abd and Calde though

Not sure what to say about Bruno, he looked like a world beater when he arrived, he looks a bit of a liability these days :shrug:

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perry Digweed or Kuszczak....Kuszczak
John Crumplin or Bridge....Bridge
Gary Chivers or Calderon....Calderon
Steve Gatting or Greer....Gatting
Colin Pates or Upson....Upson
Dean Wilkins or Vicente....Vicente
Robert Codner or Bridcutt....Bridcutt
Mark Barham or Buckley....Buckley
Clive Walker or Orlandi....Orlandi
Mike Small or Ulloa....Ulloa
John Byrne or CMS....Byrne

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Think I'd go with that apart from Chivers/Calde, I thought Chivers was better defensively and could score a few as well, also Vicente hardly plays so that's unfair. Wilkins would fit well in Gus's team, is Hammond better? Not sure
I would definitely put John Byrne above CMS or Barnes.
Partnership of Gatting/Pates is probably on a par with Greer/Upson.
I think Walker on a good day was top quality, he didn't miss as many guilt edged chances as Orlandi.

As I said before I think the current group are better and certainly technically more gifted, but the more I look at it, 1991 would run them close.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Let's hope the semi finals mirror that of 1991, with Palace replacing Millwall. I'd love to beat the 'Croydon kiddie fiddlers' 6-2 on aggregate.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was a poor league in 1991.
We lost loads of games and actually finished with a minus goal difference.

This team are streets ahead.

Glad nobody has suggested Larry Boyd is a better manager than Gus!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The 91 side had a better criminal form.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think the reason the 91 side got to the playoffs was the forward line of Byrne and Small ( i cant remember Nelson playing that season. Didn't he join later ? ) We only have 1 forward at the moment which is a concern. Thats the only part of the 91 team which i think was stronger IMO. When Small was sold at the end of that season the team was relegated the following season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Didn't Ijovan play centre half with Pates?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
In his early career Clive Walker was better than Buckley is now,although I think Buckley will improve

Remember losing 4-0 at home to sheff Wed that season,by far the best team in that league (taking Oldham's plastic pitch into account)

So much so,they finished 3rd in the top flight the following season

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In his early career Clive Walker was better than Buckley is now,although I think Buckley will improve

Remember losing 4-0 at home to sheff Wed that season,by far the best team in that league (taking Oldham's plastic pitch into account)

So much so,they finished 3rd in the top flight the following season

The legend that is Mark Barham also had 2 England caps.

was my hero as a teenager:love:

$(KGrHqR,!jQFBKkWpw(SBQ(1dDkY3g~~60_35.JPG

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I think the reason the 91 side got to the playoffs was the forward line of Byrne and Small ( i cant remember Nelson playing that season. Didn't he join later ? ) We only have 1 forward at the moment which is a concern. Thats the only part of the 91 team which i think was stronger IMO. When Small was sold at the end of that season the team was relegated the following season.

Nelson joined in87 but was pretty much out of favour by 91. He was sent on loan to Notts Co towards the end of the season. Can't remember if he featured for us against them in the play off final , I've got a feeling he was on the bench

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This squad is a level of two better than that of 1991. In general, English football has moved on upwards, due largely to an influx of quality foreign players.

This Albion team would outclass each of the 1991 Albion, Notts County and Millwall teams.

The 1991 team was pretty average, and over performed to get to within a whisker of top flight football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here