Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can you remember your first Albion game?

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
We live in Bath so I don't get to many matches nowadays but my 12 year old son is going to his first Albion game at the Amex on Tuesday night; he's so excited!
Reminds me of how I felt before my first ever Albion game.
November 1974 v Aldershot, won 1-0, Fred Binney (I think) scored, very misty afternoon. Awful game, but it didn't put me off. :smile:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
This has been done to death.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Brighton v Man City 4th round FA cup 1983. 4-0. Wide eyed 7 year old sat in the West Stand. Will never forget it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We live in Bath so I don't get to many matches nowadays but my 12 year old son is going to his first Albion game at the Amex on Tuesday night; he's so excited!
Reminds me of how I felt before my first ever Albion game.
November 1974 v Aldershot, won 1-0, Fred Binney (I think) scored, very misty afternoon. Awful game, but it didn't put me off. :smile:

If it was November 1974, it was a 3-1 win in the FA Cup with Binney getting two goals.

Nope. I'm fairly certain it was a Third Division (South) game against Newport County at Somerton Park in the season that Albion first got promoted to the Second Division.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
October '83 - Albion v Portsmouth. I can't even remember the score, or much about the game as I spent most of it dodging bottles and coins. I was in the North East, they gave the pompey fans the North Stand, or at least the east side of it. I remember them trying to climb up the fencing like a bunch of wild animals. Happy days!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
'90 vs Millwall, thanks to Sammy Nelson taking us on a school trip. A 0-0 bore draw, I seem to recall.

I do remember a similar thread a fair while ago and Kev the Ape said he was going to ask his mother if he could remember his first game :lol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
April 87
Albion 2-0 Palace
Wilson
Hughes

Barry Lloyd's first win

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
This has been done to death.

Does my nut when people take the time to open a thread, post a negative irrelevant comment and don't even bother to participate. Why googling bother?!

Anyway I digress.......

Yep, I remember it like it was yesterday - cold, wet Tuesday night League Cup game v Gillingham in 87. We lost 1-0 if memory serves but I loved every minute of it.
The walk up the old West Stand stairs, the click of the turnstile, and the smell of sweet pipe tobacco in the air.

Climbing up to the very back where my Dad sat it felt like the biggest structure in the world and the first sight of the hallowed emerald green turf was incredibly intoxicating.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep. It was against Southampton at the Goldstone. I think it might have been 80/81. My recollections are that we lost 1-0, we were on the east terrace, I think Kevin Keegan played for Southampton and Sammy Nelson played for us......other than that :shrug:

I was only 7 though, and it was a long time ago!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
August 21st 1993, a 1-1 draw against Hartlepool at the Goldstone.

I was 9 years old and it was my first experience of live football of any kind. Nearly 20 years ago...bloody hell.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Does my nut when people take the time to open a thread, post a negative irrelevant comment and don't even bother to participate. Why googling bother?!

Anyway I digress.......

Yep, I remember it like it was yesterday - cold, wet Tuesday night League Cup game v Gillingham in 87. We lost 1-0 if memory serves but I loved every minute of it.
The walk up the old West Stand stairs, the click of the turnstile, and the smell of sweet pipe tobacco in the air.

Climbing up to the very back where my Dad sat it felt like the biggest structure in the world and the first sight of the hallowed emerald green turf was incredibly intoxicating.

We won 1-0 in that game if your first game was at Goldstone

Goal is here
Brighton 1-0 Gillingham (LC) 1987/88 - YouTube

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't remember my first game. 1994/95 at the Goldstone in the autumn.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
2-1 win in Golden Goal against Wycombe on a cold Tuesday/Wednesday night. After my dad bigged up the excitement of golden goal, how tense it could be, we scored within about 30 seconds of it kicking off! Thus bringing extra time to a very premature end. Meant I got back home earlier though as it was a school night and I was only little!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here