Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lake Garda - Bardolino

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I notice that there's been a fair bit of interest on here this week about various Italian destinations - here's another ...

I'm looking to head to Lake Garda for 5 days end July / early Aug .
Anecdotally , I've heard that the traffic around the lake can be a nightmare .
Is it really that bad ? Anyone visited the area during peak Summer ?
I've driven along the Amalfi Coast around the same time of year and found it ok .
Going to head up into The Dolomites and also visit Verona whilst we're there .
Reccomendations for Hotels , bars & restaurants as well as any particularly scenic driving routes would be warmly appreciated - thankyou .

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Visited twice last year in April and October. Stayed in Malcesine both times. In April we stayed at the Hotel DuLac, received a warm welcome there and the owners/staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. In October we stayed at a different hotel which was the complete opposite.

Don't drive round the lake, use the ferry service, it runs regularly. We found it the best way to travel to places on the lake. The roads aren't too bad and the toll roads not too busy.

Take the cable car from Malcesine to Monte Balde and walk out to the edge of the mountain as it give you spectacular views of the lake and over the Dolomites.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
We visited in August. Traffic isn't too bad, but the roads around the lake are minor roads through towns, so it takes about 1.5 hours to drive the length of the lake (on the eastern side). Monte Balde is definitely worth a visit. Sirmione on the southern tip of the lake is also nice, as is the town of Garda.

If you have kids, Gardaland is owned by Merlin, so it's a bit like Alton Towers, but not quite as good.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
We visited in September and stayed at the Hotel Angelini at Torbole. We had booked to stay at Malcesine but the hotel was changed last minute. We flew from Gatwick into Milan and it was three hours to Torbole by coach. Others staying at the hotel had flown from local airports into Verona which is nearer. The hotel was family run but very quiet and a bit out of the way. I really enjoyed Lake Garda and we visited loads of places, both organised and under our own steam. The roads can get busy in the rush hours but weren't too bad.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Thankyou all for your insights .
Will into Verona via Gatwick , pick up a car , then head to a hotel in Bardolino .
As well as using the ferries , it sounds like it's feasible to visit the lakeside villages & towns by car as well .
Will be there Tues to Sat , so hopefully will avoid most of the heavier weekend traffic .

Salute !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here