Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop help - blue screen of death

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Having issues with the fiancée's laptop. It's on windows vista. Get to the login screen type password and enter then blue screen flashed up with white text then tries to restart. Basically can get it to boot up. Any suggestions on how to sort it from the good people of NSC?

The missus is a teacher and has some important work stuff on it and other important documents we need to access and don't want to lose.

PC world are wanting £80 so shall I bite the bullet or is this something I can try to fix myself? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatfully received. Thanks!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
cm-50190-9511cbdf4410a9.jpeg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What does the white text say?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
can you boot it in safe mode? I used to have a dell that did this. Ask the question on this site, they are absolutely brilliant and have helped me fix two laptops that I thought were fit for the bin.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/

Trust me, if they cannot tell you how to fix it then no one can, if the laptop is finished they will definitely let you know how to recover the data on it

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
If you Restart the computer and hit F8 and then load the pc in safe mode with command prompt and enter chkdsk /f- see if this works

Thanks for the suggestion. At what stage in the restart should I be pressing f8? Tried loading in safe mode with command prompt but it doesn't give me an opportunity to type anything?

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
can you boot it in safe mode? I used to have a dell that did this. Ask the question on this site, they are absolutely brilliant and have helped me fix two laptops that I thought were fit for the bin.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/

Trust me, if they cannot tell you how to fix it then no one can, if the laptop is finished they will definitely let you know how to recover the data on it

Thanks for the suggestion will give it a go.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. At what stage in the restart should I be pressing f8? Tried loading in safe mode with command prompt but it doesn't give me an opportunity to type anything?

it could be f8, f2 or f12 depending on the laptop as some are different. basically turn the laptop on and tap the key and you will be taken to that, or tap the key after you have put in your password. it should boot up into safe mode. Either way try that site and you will get a detailed reply but do not forget to give them the info on what laptop you have etc

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Having issues with the fiancée's laptop. It's on windows vista. Get to the login screen type password and enter then blue screen flashed up with white text then tries to restart. Basically can get it to boot up. Any suggestions on how to sort it from the good people of NSC?

The missus is a teacher and has some important work stuff on it and other important documents we need to access and don't want to lose.

PC world are wanting £80 so shall I bite the bullet or is this something I can try to fix myself? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatfully received. Thanks!

Have you tried just getting rid of her.

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
it could be f8, f2 or f12 depending on the laptop as some are different. basically turn the laptop on and tap the key and you will be taken to that, or tap the key after you have put in your password. it should boot up into safe mode. Either way try that site and you will get a detailed reply but do not forget to give them the info on what laptop you have etc

Posted here - no reply as yet... http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-vista/105115-blue-screen-start-up.html

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Here we go again. I'm a teacher so my work is more important than anybody elses. Or in this case the missus is a teacher. God save us from the smugness of teachers!

We all have important work at times not just teachers!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here