Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protein shakes and other supplements

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Take a combination of Promax Diet, Hydroxycut Hardcore and creatine tablets and drink. Takes a while to get used to it all in the system but noticable difference to when not taking it.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
depends on what your in the gym for, if you want to get big/ripped i would definitely recommend low carb whey protein and most importantly creatine mono-hydrate.

Creatine is a substance produced by your body and used as a fuel in your muscles. by loading up on it you can push harder for longer. it is completely 100% safe and all top athletes use it.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Personally protein shakes are worth it. But then at the same time your whole diet needs to be good. I struggle from serious DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) if I have a big sesh but don't take my protein shakes and eat properly!

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
i suffered with server DOMS when i first started ( couldnt walk, lift my arms above ny head ect, my wife had to dress me it was that painful ) but after a while i got used to it and now only occasionally get mild soreness.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It really does depend on what you want from the gym and how dedicated you are.

I take a protein shake after the gym or football because it helps with recovery but you can also bulk up from it if you take 3 a day. Creatine you need to be careful with. It bbasically stores water in your muscles which makes them bigger but you are not supposed to take them constantly and when you do have a break from them all that water needs to go somewhere and can end up making you look fat

I would say before you take anything you need to do reesesrch online (not asking nsc).and see what works best for you.

One word of advice though... Stay well clear of anything with 'explode' 'nitros' or anything else that is designed as a pre-workout pick up, they are full of shit and some are the equivalent to 4/5 redbulls in one go. Also give diet supliments a big miss.

Like others have said though, you needs to stick to a good diet as well. They are supliments not replacements.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll stick to Harveys.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It really does depend on what you want from the gym and how dedicated you are.

I take a protein shake after the gym or football because it helps with recovery but you can also bulk up from it if you take 3 a day. Creatine you need to be careful with. It bbasically stores water in your muscles which makes them bigger but you are not supposed to take them constantly and when you do have a break from them all that water needs to go somewhere and can end up making you look fat

I would say before you take anything you need to do reesesrch online (not asking nsc).and see what works best for you.

One word of advice though... Stay well clear of anything with 'explode' 'nitros' or anything else that is designed as a pre-workout pick up, they are full of shit and some are the equivalent to 4/5 redbulls in one go. Also give diet supliments a big miss.

Like others have said though, you needs to stick to a good diet as well. They are supliments not replacements.

This was the whole point of me starting the thread, really to just expose what is a waste of money and what isn't.

I do use creatine and alternate various whey and recovery products from MyProtein this together with a healthy diet works for me.

C

CT1

Such a waste of money. I used to take protein shakes for a year in my first year of training but after my second year I put on more weight and had a lower body fat percentage than I did after my first. As long as I eat my 25g of protein in the five meals I have each day I'm fine. Creatine however I do reccomend. I can't speak for testosterone as I don't need more because I'm in my teens so I have more than enough but every middle aged man at my gym who is big is on it so it probably will help if your diet and training is right.

30% training
70% diet

Dec 29, 2011
Just eat healthy and you wont need any of this false shite !

...is the biggest load of crap ever. I hate people who say this, they clearly have no understanding of biology or how food is digested. It can take up to eight hours to get the full nutrition from food you eat, whereas liquid protein can be digested in under an hour (whey), going straight to your muscles which need protein after a workout. A balanced diet is a MUST if you take protein shakes, otherwise you're wasting a shit load of money of protein when you haven't even got a good diet. However, to say a balance diet is better than ANY protein is wrong.

Balanced diet + Protein is the whey (pun :thumbsup: ) to go.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Wow what a bunch of muscle marys we have on here. Just seems odd to me going to the gym to get muscles you dont need.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Some friends of mine used to go to the gym a lot when they were young, doing heavy weights, taking creatine, ate poached eggs, spent ages in the toilet for regular richards etc. We used to sometimes go down to the Escape club. A group of the gym lads would take there tops off on the dancefloor. Used to crack me up :lolol:

Each to their own i guess. As long as it's not damaging your health i don't see any harm in these products. People go through different phases. Creatine certainly does the business if you're looking to bulk up.

D

Deleted member 18477

Protein shakes are the cheapest way to get enough protein into your body.

It's also pretty hard to eat 4-5 chicken breasts a day so again shakes help out.

1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a rough guide to how much protein you need if your serious about weights and muscle building. 100g of cooked chicken breast is about 30g protein so you can see why most gym goers take shakes to meet their protein requirements.

Don't get mugged by the advertising of brands like maximuscle etc though. They're a rip off. Use my protein! It's a lot cheaper and it works absoutely fine.

Creatine is good but drink lots of water to avoid the bloated fat look.. And consequently in time you'll build more lean muscle.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Waste of money or a necessary addition to your gym routine ?

Good quality Whey protein, and creatine every other month works for me but everyone is individual. Not essential or a substitute for good natural nutrition but you notice the difference and peace of mind that your are getting enough protein. I don't train for size particularly unless work demands it but to keep a good physique and keep healthy. I too laugh at the muscle mary's you see, teenagers with low cut T-shirts and their arms jutting out at weird angles walking around in a t-shirt on the coldest days while everyone else is wrapped up. If you're reading this, you look like a prick.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
lol do you guys even lift?

Oh sorry, do we have an expert on here? Yes, I lift. I was a gym instructor for 3 years and I train regularly. I'm guessing you are better than all who have posted?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here