Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Build a bonfire song racist

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Oh dear God.

It depends on who you're building a bonfire for, and why.

Does it?

So if I put people who just happen to be of colour in it this is automatically racist? Surely to be this I would need to refer to their colour for this to happen?

If I say Reo is a ***t it is not racist as it only refers to the person, offensive not racist, if I say he is a b**** C*** then I am being racist and open to prosecution as I am referring to his potential membership of a racial minority as a possible reason why he is a ***t.

We have become too PC too worried about such things and the idiots that complained of this need to go and find real racism to complain about. I heard a tit, (don't think he was b**** as he was a Lord and we tend to prosecute our Lords when they have colour), from the Kick it out campaign, who was saying that the mere chant itself was disgusting, setting fire to people is not nice!

No one is advocating someone should be actually set fire too it is simply a met-afore and anyone who actually does this is a twit.

As to the why not sure they said it was because they is B**** may have been simply because they were Chelski fans.

I have self censored as I don't want Bozza losing adverts again because of offensive language :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If it was just Rio, it wouldn't be racist. But why mention Anton? Because they blame the race row for John Terry's demise. That's where the racial element comes in.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
If it was just Rio, it wouldn't be racist. But why mention Anton? Because they blame the race row for John Terry's demise. That's where the racial element comes in.

That is rather tenuous, if you look for something hard enough, you will find it.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham

As I said way too sensitive on this issue, lots of supposition there.

There is an argument that the song itself refers to the KKK and burning B**** people, does it bollox. (The fact I edit out the word B**** can be seen as racist, not my intention just simply meant to highlight how silly we have become over the subject of race, how do you know what is in the minds of those who chant this song?)

In order for you to know if this is a racist chant you need to know what is in the minds of those chanting as it does not directly refer to their colour and it is only down to the minds of those who think it is racist that it has become an issue.

Anyone who discriminates against anyone for reason of any difference (colour, sex, disability, anything!) is a C*** simple but need to get a real perspective on what is and is not.

Build a Bonfire Build a Bonfire put Belotti on the top.
Put Bill Archer in the middle and we'll burn the f****** lot!

(have to say when I first heard this I wondered what Bill Oddie had done wrong! :) )

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's not clear cut. Singing a song that is negative in itself is not racist. Singing a song that is negative about a black player is not necessarily racist. However, what if most songs sung by a set of supporters that were negative about players were negative towards black players? A case could be made that there is a racism issue going on.

Similarly, in the 1970s, black players were regularly booed. Again, booing is not in itself racist. However, when all the opposition black players get booed and opposition's white players don't get that treatment, it can be that there is a more disguised racism going on than a monkey chant.

Because it's not clear-cut, and is suspected by someone that it could have an element of racism going on, it is reported. I don't see the problem with someone reporting it and for others to investigate it (and possibly deciding it isn't racist) while keeping data on it.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
It's not clear cut. Singing a song that is negative in itself is not racist. Singing a song that is negative about a black player is not necessarily racist. However, what if most songs sung by a set of supporters that were negative about players were negative towards black players? A case could be made that there is a racism issue going on.

Similarly, in the 1970s, black players were regularly booed. Again, booing is not in itself racist. However, when all the opposition black players get booed and opposition's white players don't get that treatment, it can be that there is a more disguised racism going on than a monkey chant.

Because it's not clear-cut, and is suspected by someone that it could have an element of racism going on, it is reported. I don't see the problem with someone reporting it and for others to investigate it (and possibly deciding it isn't racist) while keeping data on it.

Don't forget Brighton supporters were supposedly investigated because someone thought we were chanting Sieg Heil!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just a question, wasn't JT found not guilty in th high court, and then the F.A. Found him guilty, if so could Terry not sue anyone who called him a racist, including the F.A.?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't forget Brighton supporters were supposedly investigated because someone thought we were chanting Sieg Heil!

A quick inquiry that would have been, I hope! It doesn't change the fact that this stuff needs to be Investigated and assessments made. The fact people are encouraged to report incidents that are 'suspected' of racism is important for dealing with the more disguised expressions of hate, not to mention clearing up misunderstandings.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Does it?

So if I put people who just happen to be of colour in it this is automatically racist? Surely to be this I would need to refer to their colour for this to happen?

If I say Reo is a ***t it is not racist as it only refers to the person, offensive not racist, if I say he is a b**** C*** then I am being racist and open to prosecution as I am referring to his potential membership of a racial minority as a possible reason why he is a ***t.

We have become too PC too worried about such things and the idiots that complained of this need to go and find real racism to complain about. I heard a tit, (don't think he was b**** as he was a Lord and we tend to prosecute our Lords when they have colour), from the Kick it out campaign, who was saying that the mere chant itself was disgusting, setting fire to people is not nice!

No one is advocating someone should be actually set fire too it is simply a met-afore and anyone who actually does this is a twit.

As to the why not sure they said it was because they is B**** may have been simply because they were Chelski fans.

I have self censored as I don't want Bozza losing adverts again because of offensive language :)

Whether I agree with you or not remains a mystery as this thunderingly incoherant, illegible, bafflingly shambolic blathering is littered with deletions, edits, stars, incomplete wittering, and spelling errors. I weep for the unborn children.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just a question, wasn't JT found not guilty in th high court, and then the F.A. Found him guilty, if so could Terry not sue anyone who called him a racist, including the F.A.?

No, the high court case and FA inquiry were not about whether Terry is a racist or not. The FA charge was that Terry "abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour" which "included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Ferdinand". In other words, if Terry's version of events were to be believed, he should not have responded to the question of whether he called Ferdinand a racist term by using that racist term in reply. Even Terry accepted this, issuing an apology for "the language [he] used in the game" and stated that it was "not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life."

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Whether I agree with you or not remains a mystery as this thunderingly incoherant, illegible, bafflingly shambolic blathering is littered with deletions, edits, stars, incomplete wittering, and spelling errors. I weep for the unborn children.

Thank you for your pointless observations we can't all be as perfect as you obviously think you are.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thank you for your pointless observations we can't all be as perfect as you obviously think you are.

No problem. If I can help one or two of the less able on here once in a while I consider that a good success rate. Certainly, if it helps you to improve yourself then I deem it far from pointless.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Does it?

It's giving me a bit of a headache trying to make sense of this.

However, I guess that the main point that you are trying to get across is that you disagree with me.

I suggested that whether the song is racist or not depends on who you are building a bonfire for, and why. The 'and why' part of my sentence is the important part, suggesting as it does, that intent in the mind of the singer is important. If it is intended to be racist, then it is.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
No problem. If I can help one or two of the less able on here once in a while I consider that a good success rate. Certainly, if it helps you to improve yourself then I deem it far from pointless.

You may want to get help with your own spelling first "incoherant" should be spelt incoherent but I was too polite to point this out at first not wanting to burst you bubble of delusion.

People who live in glass houses etc.

I hope I have helped you whereas all you did was criticise without actually helping this is a very arrogant attitude to a dyslexic and is very discriminatory.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You may want to get help with your own spelling first "incoherant" should be spelt incoherent but I was too polite to point this out at first not wanting to burst you bubble of delusion.

People who live in glass houses etc.

I hope I have helped you whereas all you did was criticise without actually helping this is a very arrogant attitude to a dyslexic and is very discriminatory.

I don't mean to come across as arrogant or obnoxious but I am so that's how it comes out. I had no idea you are dyslexic so you cannot really level that at me. May I recommend spell check, it'll save me some time when reading your posts? Thanks for the inchorant/ent thing, I always **** that one up.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I don't mean to come across as arrogant or obnoxious but I am so that's how it comes out. I had no idea you are dyslexic so you cannot really level that at me. May I recommend spell check, it'll save me some time when reading your posts? Thanks for the inchorant/ent thing, I always **** that one up.

I do use spell check it is built into Chrome so point out the spelling mistakes that Chrome and Google has not.

My dyslexic thing was to point out you do not know what disabilities others face so it is rather wrong to have a go at something based on your own abilities.

Last edited:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

A quick inquiry that would have been, I hope!

yes, it was all a misunderstanding...

anyone-seen-kyle.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here