Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus and stubbornness/idealism

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm a massive fan of Gus, the football we play under him and the general philosophy he seems to be trying to instil at the club. But I do worry whether he needs to learn a bit of pragmatism at times. I don't imagine many managers particularly like the loan system (other than Watford of course) but at championship level, with the seeming impossibility to be successful without losing bucketloads of money, it's a necessary evil. And Gus' insistence on no recall clauses has, you would have to assume, probably been a big stumbling block in securing a striker this time. If you're in, for example, Norwich's shoes, why would you risk having less cover in your squad which could cost you premier league status in order to save 2-3 months worth of wages, probably a couple of hundred grand at most?

The "we only play one way" is another example - fine in principle (and a good sound bite/statement of intent), but even Wenger usually starts throwing extra strikers on with 10 minutes to go when they're losing...

So the question is, does Gus need to learn when to compromise a bit?

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I do not recall many people making criticism when we creamed league 1, 2 years ago.Lots of new players this season and it does take a while to bed them in.They play a fine brand of football and I guess if Gus is your manager then it's a warts and all situation.
I'm happy and long may it continue.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Weigh up the options.....A striker will not come to the club for about 8 games and sit most of the time on the bench,unless of course you are suggesting that he replaces Ulloa and Leo sits on the bench.
Then it is a question of wages...if a striker came he would want at least level with what he is earning at his parent club...do we break our wage structure...if we pay him more then other senior players in our squad would want parity...I'd rather keep the club on a steady footing than go for a burst of glory and end up like Coventry,Portsmouth...with the FPL coming in a lot of clubs will have to tighten their belts.
Personally my view is that Gus will be gone next season unless we get promotion...but no man is bigger than the club and we can continue to support the club safe in the knowledge that it is a sound business.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I agree with all of that, although I do think the players would probably stomach a short term loan on higher wages - a bit like getting a freelancer always costs more than someone on a permanent contract - people accept it because its a short term solution. I just wonder whether we should have been prepared to break one or two of our own rules just to get someone in for 6-8 weeks - a 15 minute cameo off the bench from a Jackson or Davies type player could be the difference between promotion and not so feels like it was probably worth the gamble and wouldn't have cost us much in the grand scheme of things? As an example I have a horrible premonition of Dindane shinning one in for Palace to win the play off final...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here