NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Quotes from some bloke:

Fare executive director Piara Power said: "I personally think there was an undercurrent of race there.
"Other people have thought that it has been imbued with racist overtones."

&

Power added: "Although we did not have observers at the match we have pulled together evidence sent to us including media comment and have passed that on to Fifa.
"Whether Fifa think that is strong enough to take action is another question entirely and we accept that it is certainly an unusual report."

So neither he or anyone from his organisation were there but still feel the need to pursue it. I fully support any anti racism stance but this stinks of someone trying to do a job on England for the sake of it Or more likely for the sake of FIFA.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Don't see how build a bonfire is a racist chant

Because it was putting Rio and Anton in and on it.

While Rio was BOUND to get some stick for his trip to the Middle East rather than playing for England, there was no reason to slag off Anton as well. Does rather suggest that it was started by blinkered Chelsea pro-JT brigade who will slag off the Ferdinands for daring to speak up against their beloved JT.

Support for a racist, and slagging off his black victim(s), hmm, it's not good is it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
While looking for a picture of piara powar I found this in the search results!

image.jpg

Which in turn led me to this thread from those cheeky scouse scamps:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/106649-captions-new-issue.html

Dandyman

In London village.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Because it was putting Rio and Anton in and on it.

While Rio was BOUND to get some stick for his trip to the Middle East rather than playing for England, there was no reason to slag off Anton as well. Does rather suggest that it was started by blinkered Chelsea pro-JT brigade who will slag off the Ferdinands for daring to speak up against their beloved JT.

Support for a racist, and slagging off his black victim(s), hmm, it's not good is it.

So how does that become racist? If anything, Rio is the racist with his "Choc ice" jibe at Ashley Cole. You can still dislike some people for reasons other than race you know?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So how does that become racist? If anything, Rio is the racist with his "Choc ice" jibe at Ashley Cole. You can still dislike some people for reasons other than race you know?

True. The chants were probably because they are sick and tired of Rio and his antics....his constant confronting of referees over the years, and the bigging up of himself to play again for England, only to snub them after the call up. I daresay Anton was just added into the chants.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

True. The chants were probably because they are sick and tired of Rio and his antics....his constant confronting of referees over the years, and the bigging up of himself to play again for England, only to snub them after the call up. I daresay Anton was just added into the chants.

Anton was just added into the chants?

A man whose only real claim to fame is to have been on the receiving end of Terry's racist diatribe. What a coincidence.

Chanting against Rio would not, on its own, be seen as racist. But lumping Anton in brings the motives of those chanting into question.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Anton was just added into the chants?

A man whose only real claim to fame is to have been on the receiving end of Terry's racist diatribe. What a coincidence.

Chanting against Rio would not, on its own, be seen as racist. But lumping Anton in brings the motives of those chanting into question.

"But lumping Anton in brings the motives of those chanting into question."
Could be, but then players such as Wrighty, King, Anderson, Johnson, Barnes etc, never got stick.....ok Cole got a bit because he did one on Cheryl, Heskey sometimes because he was crap......but then Lumplard got stick, and other white players as well.
Not racist ( the card being used) just players that are not really liked......whether white or black.
In fact, would these chants have been mentioned if it was Cleverly or Neville??

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
In fact, would these chants have been mentioned if it was Cleverly or Neville??

Of course not. But you've missed the point that Pogue Mahone was trying to make. Rio Ferdinand should expect some stick relating to his reluctance to play for, England, providing of course that it's based, as seems likely, purely on his perceived attitude to the national side.

However, if, as is being alleged, some individuals have brought Anton into it, then one has to question their motives to a degree, as he is absolutely nothing to do with this issue, and has never even got close to being good enough for international honours. It seems somewhat likely that it might be people with Chelsea allegiances, as I can't see why anybody else should have a problem with Anton (indeed, he's probably been very kind to many attacking teams over the years). It might not be overtly racist chanting as such, but given Anton's position in the John Terry saga, it's inevitable certain parties might question their motives. They are idiots for bringing Anton into it.

That said, if UEFA's standard response to racism is anything to go by, the worst that can be expected is a £400 fine for the FA and a suspended threat to play an U16 match behind closed doors.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well, I don't think so...speaking as an non-white English person with many white friends...

I travel all over Europe for business and I can say for sure that England is the the most non-racist country in Europe.

?? What are you on about? I'm not disputing the level of racism in the UK. I am pointing out that any English person abroad is representing the UK whether they like it or not. And consequently they have a duty to behave themselves.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i like most people want to see racism eliminated from the game.

i however cannot take this group seriously

"Although we did not have observers at the match we have pulled together evidence sent to us including media comment "

sums it all up for me.far too many people moaning because they may have heard something on TV or read something in the paper.

English clubs on the whole have good records recently with trying to eliminate racism both on and off the pitch,much much more than certain other countries not too far away.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I
Of course not. But you've missed the point that Pogue Mahone was trying to make. Rio Ferdinand should expect some stick relating to his reluctance to play for, England, providing of course that it's based, as seems likely, purely on his perceived attitude to the national side.

However, if, as is being alleged, some individuals have brought Anton into it, then one has to question their motives to a degree, as he is absolutely nothing to do with this issue, and has never even got close to being good enough for international honours. It seems somewhat likely that it might be people with Chelsea allegiances, as I can't see why anybody else should have a problem with Anton (indeed, he's probably been very kind to many attacking teams over the years). It might not be overtly racist chanting as such, but given Anton's position in the John Terry saga, it's inevitable certain parties might question their motives. They are idiots for bringing Anton into it.

That said, if UEFA's standard response to racism is anything to go by, the worst that can be expected is a £400 fine for the FA and a suspended threat to play an U16 match behind closed doors.

Still doesn't make it racist in any way, shape or form. This is about as tenuous link to racism as you can get.

They don't like two black people at the same time, they MUST be racist! :facepalm:

Welcome to the modern world - if you're going to dislike someone, you'd better make damn sure they have the same colour skin as you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here