Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toronto

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
NSC travel advice please going on Saturday.

Have AGO, CNN Tower and Niagara Falls on the radar plus no doubt some serious retail therapy for Mrs hut.

Any other tips on what is good or bad ?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Outside of all the usual tourist stuff, a few places I remember.

Keg steakhouse is worth a visit, one of the few places I’ve been to that does a rare steak properly. The Rex Jazz and Blues bar is a great place for a chilled Sunday afternoon session and Shopsy’s is a great deli if you’re hungry.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
NSC travel advice please going on Saturday.

Have AGO, CNN Tower and Niagara Falls on the radar plus no doubt some serious retail therapy for Mrs hut.

Any other tips on what is good or bad ?

Yep, I did the tower and the falls. Also did a tour of the stadium that the Blue Jays play in, Back in 89. It was called the Skydome back then. Think it's the Rogers Centre now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There is a humongous shopping centre to give you plenty of time to catch a Blue Jays game.

We went to the Zoo as well when we were there.

Don't expect to do the Maid of the Mist as the falls will almost certainly be frozen.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Get down to the harbour and get a ferry across to one of the little islands (20 mins) and hire a couple of bikes or just have a walk. It's a brilliant view of the city skyline.

Best place to eat is Marche in Brookfield Place. It's a great concept, where you can go to various stalls to choose what food you want freshly cooked for you. You pay on exit, it's very good. Even if you don't eat at Marche (make sure you do!) it's worth visiting Brookfield Place to see the superb architecture inside the building.
http://www.marche-restaurants.com/en/marche-brookfield-place-street-level

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If you fancy a day trip, why not go on a tour of the wineries & vineyards in the Niagara Peninsula ending up in Niagara-on-the-Lake the 'loveliest town in Canada'. The Ice-Wine is very special!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When I visited Toronto about ten years ago I enjoyed the following:

Catching a ferry to Toronto Islands, a hven of peace from the hustle and bustle of the city. Apart from essential traffic it is car free.
The Black Creek Pioneer Village at Vaughan just north of the City boundary which is a bit like the Downland and Wealden Museum at Singleton.
Like London, Toronto has many Museums covering a multitude of interests.
A ride on Highway 401, 8 lanes in each direction.
The public transport system is very good and day tickets are available covering subway, buses and streetcars.
Moost of the shops in the city centre are linked together at basement level which is great if there is adverse weather at street level.
The Distillery district where parts of the old distillery has been converted to boutiques. This area is often used as a film set as its cheaper to make films in Canada rather than the US.
Not sure if the Maple Leafs will be in season if you like ice hockey.
Yonge Street is the start of what is claimed as the longest street in the world at over 1000 miles.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto is a great city and the locals are very friendly - even the homeless are polite. The Eaton Centre is the huge underground shopping place which will keep Mrs Hut occupied.

Been a while since I went but c'est what was a good place to eat and drink http://www.cestwhat.ca/ - great selection of beer and some good music to listen to while you are there. The St Lawrence Market is worth a visit - you get a great Canadian Bacon sandwich there.

For a change of pace with the tourist stuff, Casa Loma was quite an interesting place to visit http://www.casaloma.org/

Get a combined travel ticket for the bus / tram / underground system to get around the city. For your trip to Niagra, have a look at getting the train down - much cheaper than those organised trips. Be aware though that the bit around the lake is nice but go a few streets back and it is just like being in the back streets of Blackpool.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'd endorse previous comments about St.Lawrence Market in Toronto (popular with locals and indoors) and also a couple of hours at Niagara on the Lake on the way home from Niagara Falls (30 mins away).
I'm a tour guide and go a couple of times every year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I like the idea of an Island, cheers

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Amazing place and do visit if you have the opportunity.

I have never seen so much construction going on since a business trip to Beiijing prior to 2008 Olympics. I will return in 5 years as this will be totally different.

CN Tower, Niagara and watching the Blue Jays were amazing as was the AGO a memorable Art Gallery but not quite as good as Munich on the art front.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At this time of the year? A nice warm coat! Although to be fair I think we are, unusually, experiencing Toronto temperatures so probably won't make much difference for a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here