Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
American Football may soon have its first openly gay player and he intends to keep playing after coming out.
Football has never had a gay active player in its nearly 100-year history, but some have argued that it's time for a change.

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star? Football player 'strongly considering' coming out ahead of 2013 season | Mail Online

Apparently these rumours are not new and are almost annual, but result with the gay player backing down.

It'll be interesting to see if the player goes through with it this time.
Fingers crossed the reaction won't be as bad as the perception that's stopped any other player coming out before.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'd love to see 20 + guys come out all at once in multiple sports across the world. With the whole gay marriage thing in the US, homophobia in football over here etc all in the spotlight at the moment, there's no better time.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's so clearly out of sync.

The NBA, NFL & MLB have never had an openly gay player, actually playing.

In 100+ years of sport, not one!!

Obviously pretty much the same applies over here, but everybody knows there are gay players, it's statically impossible.
But still everyone ignores the (pink) elephant in the room.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Who cares? If a player of any sport Is good at whatever He or She does, why should It matter what sexual orientation they are. People should be happy who they are and not be forced Into being something they are not. I say. if they want to come out. Let them. Simple really

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Most of them would be well-suited for chubby-chasing

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who cares? If a player of any sport Is good at whatever He or She does, why should It matter what sexual orientation they are. People should be happy who they are and not be forced Into being something they are not. I say. if they want to come out. Let them. Simple really
Taking this from the American perspective, it clearly is a big deal.

As said, many have been in the position player X finds himself in, and have been talked out of it, I'd image due to potential loss of endorsements and sponsorship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not from any teams in the deep south

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym

As said, many have been in the position player X finds himself in, and have been talked out of it, I'd image due to potential loss of endorsements and sponsorship.

I guess. At the end of the day. Would you rather be miserable and rich (Endorsements) or out and happy. I have a friend who finds himself In this very position too. Not nice place to be I would Imagine.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess. At the end of the day. Would you rather be miserable and rich (Endorsements) or out and happy. I have a friend who finds himself In this very position too. Not nice place to be I would Imagine.
I picked up the story from PtI.

Michael Wilbon was pretty keen to point out the NFL dressing room is the most conservative, in a deep south stylee, dressing room in US sport. But even he countered that by saying 'well his team mates all know as do the local journalists, who choose not to report it'.

One thing though I'm sure the player(s) in question would want to be ahead of the story, instead of being outed by less scrupulous journos.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Most of them are gay as all hell aren't they? One of the campest sports around.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003

On the other hand, there might be endorsements to be gained in some fields. After all, the publicity surrounding that player would be huge. So perhaps a company might find that an interesting prospect.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the other hand, there might be endorsements to be gained in some fields. After all, the publicity surrounding that player would be huge. So perhaps a company might find that an interesting prospect.
No different to over here, but it's still amazing there has never been one gay man playing in any of the big 4 sports.

This issue has certainly dragged up some good ol' homophobia, and not just from outside the locker room.

49ers' Culliver apologizes for homophobic Media Day comments - NFL - Sporting News

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here