Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Venice

Aug 19, 2011
I know you know what's coming but...

I'm flying out to Venice tomorrow and need some recommendations for restaurants, bars, things to do etc....

Cheers in advance

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd recommend taking out a loan to pay for food and drink.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Hope you have a better time than me.

Last time I was there it rained so hard the previous week, all the streets were flooded.

Seriously, dont eat or drink in the main Piazza, walk down the sides streets and you will find it a lot cheaper.. or you will be paying 7 -8 euros for Bottled water.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Yes it's expensive,considerably less so off the beaten track, but it is one of the great places on earth. A must see in my book. Go to the expense of hiring your own private walking guide for the day and you will see Venice as few tourists do. Go to the La Fenice to see if they have any returns (I've been lucky) - a fantastic experience if you can get in.

Enjoy.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Definitely eat on the side streets and not on the main drag.

For the love of God do not sit down at a cafe in St. Marks' Square. Not only is it a tenner per coffee, but you have to pay the musicians too!

It's a wonderful place though.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The worst Italian meal out I have ever had was in Venice - and that includes pasta at Pizza Hut.

When we went, the place was so heaving with tourists and street traders selling rip off designer handbags that any sense of the history and beauty of the place was lost.

The saving grace was at night when most of the fat ass Americans had gone and the place was much quieter. Check out some of the major sites off peak and you can get what all the fuss about Venice is about. In the day it's like Disney Land without the big mouse fella.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's a beautiful place but it has been ruined by tourists particularly day trippers on european cruises and its extortionately expensive unless you eat in the back streets and then the quality varies wildly. Some nice wine bars though.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why is everyone on this site a cheapskate??
Go & have a meal in the Hotel Danieli & drink some Bellini's in Harry's Bar @ the Hotel Cipriani
Spend some money & have a wonderful time

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I went at Christmas and the prices weren't too bad for me even in the centre, but i presume they lower their prices due to less demand? The main advice i would recommend in terms of eating is eating away from the key parts of the canal and from San Marco's square, although it might be nice to eat near there on one night, also check the prices outside of the door, see how many people are eating in there and most put a statement up about how much service they will charge you so that you do not get nasty surprises inside.

It doesnt take long to get around Venice so i would definitely recommend walking and just having a look at places to eat prior to your meal just so you can remember one to come back to. The Cannaregio district is good to eat in, but generally wander 5 minutes away from the main places to ensure you aren't paying inflated prices. The prices are no more expensive than Rome or Milan if you know where to look. Again i went in winter but do not imagine every restaurant does a u-turn in the summer but i may be wrong.

In terms of drinking i just drank the house red wine and was getting a litre of wine for 7/8 euros wherever i went so that is pretty decent.

In terms of things to do the Basillica of San Marco is certainly something to see, i booked an english speaking tour online before i went but im sure you could find one out there or just go by yourself and pay the entry to the extra areas. It is definitely worth paying the extra 2/3 euros to each section because you will see incredible amounts of gold, fine jewellery and the largest amount of relics anywhere in the world.

On the same square is the Doge's palace, this is a must for anyone who goes to Venice, however my mistake was not allowing enough time to look around because there is so much to see. The rooms are grand with luxurious carvings, painted maps and all the finery you would expect from a city state that was once the most powerful maritime power. You also can see Casanova's cell if you go there and walk across the bridge of sighs.

If you like art this is your place as you will get some brilliant renaissance art. The Venice gallery is certainly worth going to as it has gold Byzantine art pieces from Constantinople, it had the most incredible piece by Titian i have ever seen, as well as a plethora of other famous artists that really makes the gallery stand out from others i have been to in Italy. Furthermore there is a temporary exhibition running in San Marco's square next to the national museum that costs 9 euros and it was a Francesco Guardi one when i went, i think it is still on now and if it is then i would highly recommend it. There is also a Salvador Dali exhibition that is about a 5 min walk from the square and there are posters of it everywhere telling you where to go.

If you want a gondola all prices are standardised by local law so it is indeed pricey but you will not be illicitly conned into paying more, although i didn't do it (it was bloody cold in december), i can see why many would as it offers a lovely alternative view of Venice. That said i would recommend just wandering and seeing what you find, i thought the fish markets were fascinating and the general living areas to see how the people of Venice live their lives.

One last piece of information i forgot, basically there is a day ticket i think its 10-15 euros each and it provides you with access to the national museum, doge's palace and a whole range of different sights to see in Venice that it pays entry to (these can be brought at the national museum on san marco's square). It is well worth the price just make sure you get an early start so you can see as much as possible, just make sure you do not miss the Doge's palace.

I lied this is my last piece of information. When you get off your plane (i presume you are going to Marco Polo airport), you will need to turn left at the entrance and walk down to the dock (it will be signposted). you can choose from there whether to get a speedboat to your hotel which costs about 90 euros each way, or pay the much reduced ferry over to the island. My mind is a little unclear but it costs something like 10 euros each per way, and it has two routes red and blue. Figure out where your hotel is on a map and then look at which drop off point you need (thereby which route you need). Isn't too difficult and im sure you will be fine. Have a great holiday and there is much to do there.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If you've got cash to splash I suggest Dalla Marisa (Cannaregio 652b, Fondamenta San Giobbe) for lunch and Corte Sconta (Calle del Pestrin, Castello) for dinner - both neighbourhood restaurants and therefore not on the main tourist routes but both excellent.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
If you'd like to go slightly off the beaten path (by Venice standards) I'd recommend going to the area around Campo Santa Margherita. It's pretty central, but as it is close to the University it maintains a slight sense of normality compared to the seriously overcrowded touristy areas, and is just as beautiful.

There are plenty of bars, restaurants and a market there mostly full of locals and students. It is also cheap by Venetian standards, there's a pizzeria on the Campo that sells by the LARGE slice for around 2 Euros, and it's some of the best pizza I've ever eaten, you can just sit in the square and eat it and watch life go by.

3campo-santa-margherita-venice-venice.jpg

Campo Santa Margherita, 30123 Venezia, Veneto, Italy - Google Maps

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
This.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5603426 said:
If you'd like to go slightly off the beaten path (by Venice standards) I'd recommend going to the area around Campo Santa Margherita. It's pretty central, but as it is close to the University it maintains a slight sense of normality compared to the seriously overcrowded touristy areas, and is just as beautiful.

There are plenty of bars, restaurants and a market there mostly full of locals and students. It is also cheap by Venetian standards, there's a pizzeria on the Campo that sells by the LARGE slice for around 2 Euros, and it's some of the best pizza I've ever eaten, you can just sit in the square and eat it and watch life go by.

3campo-santa-margherita-venice-venice.jpg

Campo Santa Margherita, 30123 Venezia, Veneto, Italy - Google Maps

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We went March last year and absolutely loved it. Yes it is expensive but I found it was more than worth it. Cafe Florian on San Marco Square is beautiful, simply stunning decor, very expensive but it was such a stunning place so rich in history that you can take the hit.

I can recommend Al Giardinetto in Castello for dinner, their seafood risotto starter is one of the nicest dishes I've had anywhere. Luna Sentada on San Severo, Castello is also very nice doing an Asian/Italian fusion inspired by the journey of Marco Polo. For lunch i'd recommend a lovely little takeaway pizza place at the end of Calle Mondo, very reasonably priced for a decent sized slice of pizza that will keep you full for quite a while as you wander around.

We also just enjoyed walking around, taking in the sites and the sounds. We did push the boat out and pay for a private water taxi down the Grand Canal which was a great way to see the sights.

One word of warning, don't buy any knock offs from the street vendors selling fake gear, you can get fined heavily if caught doing so by the police so just walk straight past them.

If you've got time check out the venicelink website, you can book a cheaper water taxi from the airport there (I am not sure how much time before arrival you need to book them) but check them out anyway. We got a shared watertaxi from the airport to Rialto Bridge for 35 euros, we then paid a porter 10 euros to take out luggage and guide us to our hotel.

Another word of warning, make sure you get a streetmap, you will get lost, even with the map, that is half the fun of Venice and you'll see interesting stuff trying to find your way back.

This thread is making me want to go back.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
What a timely thread!

I'm taking the better half to Venice for our Silver Wedding early June. We've also got 2 nights in Verona and 4 by Lake Garda so any tips on those would also be handy!

When we went, the place was so heaving with tourists and street traders selling rip off designer handbags that any sense of the history and beauty of the place was lost.
Roz managed to pick up a fake Prada handbag for only €10 - late at night (after an excellent meal in a place whose name I'm afraid I've forgotten) from a jovial African street seller who was only too happy finally to get rid of the last item he hadn't sold that day. There are worse souvenirs to buy than that - and many of them are much more expensive.

Things to do? Visit Venice Lido. Hauntingly deserted at this time of year, but still worth walking around the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here