Doesn't look good for the terrorist Mandela

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not me - I'm too busy supping an ice cold beer. :drink:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hehe...to be fair, the OP does have a point.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
I expect at least 15 pages and Bushy and Tubthumper to have had a spot of online fisticuffs by the time I next check this thread. I hope so, anyway.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Hehe...to be fair, the OP does have a point.

It is clearly a statement of fact. It is up to us all to judge if his acts were justified. Very similar to the power sharing government in Northern Ireland.

One man's terrist is another man's freedom fighter and all that.

With the mess that South Africa is in now, did he do the right thing even?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Does he ? How ?

Read post #9

Besides. There are far more important things going on in the world than whether Mr Mandela is in hospital or not. My opinion by the way before you go off on one.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I know this is fishing, but I'll bite.

The thing with Mandela, wasn't that he was a terrorist. It was that when he came out of Prison, South Africa could easily have slipped into a civil war. Many of the ANC supporters (and others) wanted war. Mandela, when everybody was expecting violence, came out and encouraged his followers that 'the Rainbow nation' was the way forward. That can't have been easy - especially with a lot of the violent protests of the early 1990s.

For me, that is why Mandela was great. Not because of what he did when he was young (many will argue it was justified, many will argue it was not - I'm not getting into that), but because of what he did after his release from Prison.

The World will be a poorer place the day he passes.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Definition of Terrorist

A person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.

What Nelson Mandela done (one of many things)

he co-founded the militant Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) in 1961, leading a bombing campaign against government targets.

Nelson Mandela = Terrorist. No ifs or buts about it. You can't say he is a freedom fighter, he is a terrorist. He fits the definition of one. Remember, everybody that commits terrorism is doing it because they feel as though they are fighting for the good cause.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012

The thing with Mandela, wasn't that he was a terrorist. It was that when he came out of Prison, South Africa could easily have slipped into a civil war. Many of the ANC supporters (and others) wanted war. Mandela, when everybody was expecting violence, came out and encouraged his followers that 'the Rainbow nation' was the way forward. That can't have been easy - especially with a lot of the violent protests of the early 1990s.

For me, that is why Mandela was great. Not because of what he did when he was young (many will argue it was justified, many will argue it was not - I'm not getting into that), but because of what he did after his release from Prison.

I was going to post, but would have said almost exactly this.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

:clap2:

Mandela's detractors are at least coming across as apologetic / defensive. Time was when his opponents had no problem describing themselves as "white supremacists". Mandela himself deserves much of the credit for that shift in opinion.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Definition of Terrorist

What Nelson Mandela done (one of many things)

Nelson Mandela = Terrorist. No ifs or buts about it. You can't say he is a freedom fighter, he is a terrorist. He fits the definition of one. Remember, everybody that commits terrorism is doing it because they feel as though they are fighting for the good cause.

Well said.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not to dissimilar to the way Israel was bombed into existence in 1948.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Indeed. If he was anything like he is portrayed by Morgan Freeman in Invictus, he is a true statesman. It is such a pitty that his followers are so corrupt and now do so little to bring true equality to the whole of South Africa because they are too busy taking back-handers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here