Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work Culture

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are going through a massive cultural change at work with the end game being zero internal mail (albeit we were sent a mail telling us this a year or so a go) and having a face book style social media site where we interact.

I am really struggling to get to grips with this change in how we work but the ethos is the new kids on the block want to work like this as they are bought up this way on how to interact etc.

The Face Book style social media site is quite interesting and has areas where you can within reason post what you want like starting a thread on NSC.

Other things include OCS where you can phone anyone via a headset plugged into your laptop which I advocate is very good for conference calls and also the option for video conferencing through your laptop.

The only issue I am having is getting to grips with all this new style which seems to me almost counter productive where you just social mediarise so to speak and actually do very little work.

Anyone else going through this type of revolution at work ?

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
Telephones and hand written memos only for me.

This post was drafted on paper pre compilation, checking, sign off and mailing to secretary who uploaded.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder what internal communication is like at the Albion - do staff get emailed a daily PDF of Paul Barber's latest thoughts in the form of an essay?

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
What ever happened to talking to people.......there are some where I work who email the person next to them! Computers are a blessing and a curse

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What ever happened to talking to people.......there are some where I work who email the person next to them! Computers are a blessing and a curse

I hate it when people tell me stuff becuase i have to go back and type it into outlook or OneNote. If people give me bits of paper i scan them with my phone and upload them. Emails are far easier for me to deal with.

I still like a face to face discussion about many things though.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We still use faxes and a computer system with green writing on a black screen background. Internet access not permitted. Mobile is blocked for internet and camera function disabled!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We still use faxes and a computer system with green writing on a black screen background. Internet access not permitted. Mobile is blocked for internet and camera function disabled!

Bloody hell do you work in communist Russia?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We're testing a system at the moment too - in fact that is what I will be doing for the rest of today.

As I work in a government-regulated sector, we need a system that not only is used for internal communication, but also that evidences every regulatory decision we make.

It looks good, but testing the system is a bit of a headache!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I quite often have a conversation on Lync (a messenger application) with the guy that sits opposite me.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I keep every single email ever sent or received at work, you never know when you might need it! I asked someone in the US to do a job for me and he came back and said should I do such and such, I replied NO! in no circumstances do that just do what I said. Know idea whether he read the email but he did what he wanted and brought half the Amex network down. As he was an Amex employee and I am a contractor they were after my blood but I had the email proving I said don't do it. Next day he was marched off site and never seen again. I don't think Lync or any other messenger service would have helped me out there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here