Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

thinking about building my own gym in the garden

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Has anyone done this ? log cabin or bricks and mortar ? not really good with this sort of thing so have no idea of costs and any extras like heating and lighting . Is it worth it ? does it add value to the house etc . any advice or experiences would help . Cheers .

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Here you go.

img_0536.jpg

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
If I give you any ideas can I use it for free?!

has anyone done this ? Log cabin or bricks and mortar ? Not really good with this sort of thing so have no idea of costs and any extras like heating and lighting . Is it worth it ? Does it add value to the house etc . Any advice or experiences would help . Cheers .

Have an garage converted to a gym with x trainer,bike,rowing machine,bench and two multi gyms and a few free weights,albion posters and shirts on the walls,only problem there is a big frigging spider stopping us from using it:eek:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
How much is membership, is there a contract tie in. Is it a Lycra only gym.

Can't wait.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not a gym, but I built my office in my back garden a few years back. It's a log cabin and cost around £1,200, without the extra on insulation, plasterboarding, etc.

I use a fan heater, which is fine, and an uplighter, and I'm in here all day. If you're working out, I can't see you needing much in the way of heating. Doesn't cost a fortune, and estate agent said it would add value to the house if the potential buyers saw any use to it. Otherwise, it would be seen as an annoyance, and something to get rid of in the garden...

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've recently converted an old work shop at the bottom of my garden into a gym.

It was a concrete block construction with a concrete base. The roof was rotten so I replace that with a warm deck flat roof using rubber membrane.

Done to fairly high spec with downlights, plasterboard lined walls and full electrics. Also built a sauna in one half.

Total cost was around £5000. I didn't need to pay for the walls though as these were existing.

If you're going to built it yourself from scratch personally I would opt for a concrete base then timber construction. It's so much easier to work with timber than bricks/blocks unless you're experienced with them.

I also did my own electrics which saved a bit too.

I terms of adding value to your house, I don't think it really adds anything but would make the house more sellable if its done well.

For the gym equipment get stuff off eBay/gumtree it's always going cheap. I got £1500 worth of weights/bench for £200

I'll upload some pics tomorrow.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I've recently converted an old work shop at the bottom of my garden into a gym.

It was a concrete block construction with a concrete base. The roof was rotten so I replace that with a warm deck flat roof using rubber membrane.

Done to fairly high spec with downlights, plasterboard lined walls and full electrics. Also built a sauna in one half.

Total cost was around £5000. I didn't need to pay for the walls though as these were existing.

If you're going to built it yourself from scratch personally I would opt for a concrete base then timber construction. It's so much easier to work with timber than bricks/blocks unless you're experienced with them.

I also did my own electrics which saved a bit too.

I terms of adding value to your house, I don't think it really adds anything but would make the house more sellable if its done well.

For the gym equipment get stuff off eBay/gumtree it's always going cheap. I got £1500 worth of weights/bench for £200

I'll upload some pics tomorrow.

cheers for that

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
I put up a finnforest cabin......cost circa 5K. Will not add value to house. Kids used it but now they have grown up it's a bloody big shed. As with all things timber it's high maintenance to keep it protected from weather......what a pain. Try gym membership.....so much easier!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Have you considered a membership to an existing local gym?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here