Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Youth squad

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Big day today for members of our youth squad. Pro contracts being offered and some dreams dashed. We have a member in our family who sadly today after 9 years at the club is being released.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Big day today for members of our youth squad. Pro contracts being offered and some dreams dashed. We have a member in our family who sadly today after 9 years at the club is being released.

Today's the day is it? hope your family member sorts out somewhere. It's getting more and more cut-throat now the higher we rise.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I guess nowadays clubs do the scatter type recruitment, it must be such a small % that actually make it pro....
So sad when you get released..

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Well at least he had a chance - The vast majority of kids don't. Still sad though.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Today's the day is it? hope your family member sorts out somewhere. It's getting more and more cut-throat now the higher we rise.

Yeah, it's all some of them have ever known. Being picked up at 8 years old and let go at 16/17, must be hard to pick yourself up and try again.

Dec 29, 2011

There is a certain lad who was released by the club and now plays for Spurs, keep working hard and anything can happen :thumbsup:

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012

Happened to me many years ago back in 1969. Spent 2 years with the youth team but Freddie Goodwin had just come in and released me without seeing me play. Think that was the lowest I have felt sportwise but I went for trials at a couple of London clubs and did ok. Heard nothing back though and ended up playing local football for many years. Looking back on life I wish I had made more of an effort and written for more trials with other clubs. Hope your family member dosnt give up the dream. There are many top players internationals included that were turned down by their local clubs.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Happened to me many years ago back in 1969. Spent 2 years with the youth team but Freddie Goodwin had just come in and released me without seeing me play. Think that was the lowest I have felt sportwise but I went for trials at a couple of London clubs and did ok. Heard nothing back though and ended up playing local football for many years. Looking back on life I wish I had made more of an effort and written for more trials with other clubs. Hope your family member dosnt give up the dream. There are many top players internationals included that were turned down by their local clubs.

Cheers pal, sorry to hear you were let go all those years ago. Does make you wonder what might of been?

He has a strong family behind him and has terrific self belief, so hopefully comes good :)

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, it's all some of them have ever known. Being picked up at 8 years old and let go at 16/17, must be hard to pick yourself up and try again.
I sympathise. A friend's son was picked up at 8 in the first intake, got kept on every year, and was eventually released from the Development Squad when he was 20. He'd long been the last of the original intake and when he was released he was the last in his Year. He'd grown up with the Albion, the trouble is the club has grown up even more. He might have stood a chance of playing for the first team if we were still a struggling League One side.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So who got the contracts then? Going by Twitter Bradley Barry got a pro contract but can't really find much else

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here