Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel advice: Naples & Rome

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Yes, yes, I'm yet again coming to the good folk of NSC for travel advice.
You are all so very helpful when it comes to the do's and don'ts (??) of traveling.
This time: Naples, followed by Rome.
Cheers x

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Don't go to Rome. Spend all your time in Naples.

Don't let your guard down - it's not a relaxing place, and expect to be robbed, but totally worth it! Go to Vesuvius, Herculanium and Pompeii. Eat and drink plenty. Wander about. When we were there (a few years ago now) it was noisy, dirty and edgy - there's certainly an atmosphere to the place unlike anywhere else I've been. Learn how the roads work, and how to cross them. Don't expect people to stop at lights/junctions. Look at wedding dresses!

With Rome you can 'do' the touristy bits in 2 days. After that there's not a lot. Oh, don't go INSIDE the Collosium, spend the extra time saved in the Vatican instead.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've always heard Naples itself is very much a "meh" experience. It's a one-day city.

The surrounding areas such as Pompei/Sorrento are awesome though. Naples does have the 'Best Pizza shop' in the world though so that's worth seeing.

Rome. Awesome.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't go to Rome? Are you having a laugh?

It's a beautiful city with a huge amount of history.
Yes, the Vatican is fabulous, but so is the Colosseum, the Forum, the Pantheon, Villa Borghese, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona..........I could go on.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I loved Rome. Didn't really look inside anywhere much, but just walking around the city and the raucously operatic design of all buildings was just stunning. There was a constant vastness to it and it felt like somewhere unforgettable or in another dimension. In my hotel there, i was lodging with the Parma team who were staying overnight before playing Roma on the Sunday. I went all giddy.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Naples is definitely a nervy place. Roads difficult to cross and you feel like everyone's waiting for you to drop your guard so they can snatch your possessions. Worth braving for Pompeii though

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With Rome you can 'do' the touristy bits in 2 days. After that there's not a lot. Oh, don't go INSIDE the Collosium, spend the extra time saved in the Vatican instead.

Agree, although would say there's a fair bit to see but the Vatican is pretty special, it's a two day job.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
If you can get out of Naples to the Amalfi Coast for a day or two I highly recommend it!

amalfi-coast-hillside-view_28001_600x450.jpg

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
We're in Naples for 2 nights, and Rome for 3.

We've gone all out on our Naples hotel due to hearing of it's vibes. Pretty much only going to see a combination of Vesuvius, Herculanium and Pompeii, so hopefully won't actually be in Naples itself for very long.

Can't wait for Rome. Have always wanted to go, and quite the opposite of Naples, I plan on spending every minute of everyday out in the hussle and bussle. I'm also planning on going to Lazio vs Juventus, which I can only assume will be incredible.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We're in Naples for 2 nights, and Rome for 3.

We've gone all out on our Naples hotel due to hearing of it's vibes. Pretty much only going to see a combination of Vesuvius, Herculanium and Pompeii, so hopefully won't actually be in Naples itself for very long.

Can't wait for Rome. Have always wanted to go, and quite the opposite of Naples, I plan on spending every minute of everyday out in the hussle and bussle. I'm also planning on going to Lazio vs Juventus, which I can only assume will be incredible.

Honestly, get a t-shirt with 'vaffanculo roma' on it and you'll have a fine time in Naples. Sod Rome, it's like London, it's all anyone ever goes on about. Give some love to the south and Naples!

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Visited Rome in January, great city, loads to see around every corner. The underground system is easy to use and pretty cheap, although its well worth walking everywhere to see so much.

Like every city I'm sure you are bombarded with people selling tat, offering tours of everywhere and trying to get you into their restaurant.

And don't leave without having the ice cream......

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
When in Naples, leave it and go to Ischia and stay at the Castello. The old nuns quarters have been made into a hotel. I've highlighted the room that we stayed in

castello.jpg

visited rome in january, great city, loads to see around every corner. The underground system is easy to use and pretty cheap, although its well worth walking everywhere to see so much.

Like every city i'm sure you are bombarded with people selling tat, offering tours of everywhere and trying to get you into their restaurant.

And don't leave without having the ice cream......
Did the big birthday weekend in rome,had a central hotel so walked pretty much all the sights,still popped on a tour bus for a recap,favourite city so far and will go back again.:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5601677 said:
If you can get out of Naples to the Amalfi Coast for a day or two I highly recommend it!

amalfi-coast-hillside-view_28001_600x450.jpg

Did Frank Gehry build this?

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Did the big birthday weekend in rome,had a central hotel so walked pretty much all the sights,still popped on a tour bus for a recap,favourite city so far and will go back again.:thumbsup:

Yep, we stayed in Barberini, soon worked out its well worth the walking. It's worth seeing the sights during the day and at night too. The trevi fountain was spectacular at night!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here