Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

old git rant!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Very few families had a car....look at the 50s photo's of Brighton...hardly any traffic apart from trams/trolley buses...no yellow lines...and Brighton and Hove had 32 cinemas....and a glimpse of stocking....wow!

LeicestershireGull

Sep 11, 2012
I had to wait for the weekend when my wealthier friend friend would come over,just so I could feel the gripping hands on his Action Man.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Burglary

Not a funny line. But everybody left their doors open because there was nothing to steal. Nowadays we lock the house up, because our TV is 48 HD, and the contents are worth more than a half of Brighton circa 1950

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
With the survey saying 4/10 families are cutting back on food what did the old gits not have when they were young.
I'll start double glazing,central heating,holidays abroad,sky,mobile phones,meals out,electricity when the strikes were on... you get the picture:(
We even lived in a paper bag in a septic tank:facepalm:

Then again house prices were affordable for the previous generation. Our young people who are not from a wealthy background have virtually NO chance of getting their own place let alone thinking that they may one day aspire to a house with 3 rooms and a decent size garden.

Nor will they have the chance to make the huge amount of money that has been made on property by the previous generation.

Energy bills in the last 8 years bills have gone up 140%. Salaries by contrast went up by only 20%.

Council tax has gone up 100% in the last 10 years.

Petrol prices are up 26% in the last 2 years alone.

I could go on. My only point is these are tough times for the majority of ordinary people. And the older generation should be able to see some reasons why, whatever their previous hardships.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
When i was a very small boy in Worthing in the late 1950's, the house we were living in didn't have a bath. We had upstairs and downstairs loos, but the bath was a tin one used in the Kitchen. In about 1960 or 1961 we bought a house that did. If I remember rightly, the purchase price of a 1930's 3 bed semi in a nice area was somewhere around £3,000.

Then again house prices were affordable for the previous generation. Our young people who are not from a wealthy background have virtually NO chance of getting their own place let alone thinking that they may one day aspire to a house with 3 rooms and a decent size garden.

Nor will they have the chance to make the huge amount of money that has been made on property by the previous generation.

Energy bills in the last 8 years bills have gone up 140%. Salaries by contrast went up by only 20%.

I could go on. My only point is these are tough times for the majority of ordinary people. And the older generation should be able to see some reasons why, whatever their previous hardships.

The reason things have gone up is because people have the money to pay it,MY PARENTS WERE BOTH WORKING BUT STILL NEEDED A PERSONAL LOAN TO BUY THE HOUSE FOR £5,000,WHEN THEY WERE RENTING IN BRIGHTON THE LANDLADY WOULD RENT THERE BATHROOM OUT ON BANK HOLIDAYS:( PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You had a job for life, that was pretty good. No such luxury these days.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The reason things have gone up is because people have the money to pay it,MY PARENTS WERE BOTH WORKING BUT STILL NEEDED A PERSONAL LOAN TO BUY THE HOUSE FOR £5,000,WHEN THEY WERE RENTING IN BRIGHTON THE LANDLADY WOULD RENT THERE BATHROOM OUT ON BANK HOLIDAYS:( PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD

So what in your opinion is the reason fro stress and mental health levels being so high these days. And if we have it so good why aren't we as happy as the 'god old days'?

so what in your opinion is the reason fro stress and mental health levels being so high these days. And if we have it so good why aren't we as happy as the 'god old days'?

Because people have taken the piss out of all that was on offer,it has spawned a scum culture,broken homes,scroungers, wasters and free loaders.
People were too busy to fall apart back in the day,the input into at risk people has never been higher but cannot keep up with demand.the schools are full of kids requiring extra support.
We have been funding the low life's to breed for cash:moo:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Because people have taken the piss out of all that was on offer,it has spawned a scum culture,broken homes,scroungers, wasters and free loaders.
People were too busy to fall apart back in the day,the input into at risk people has never been higher but cannot keep up with demand.the schools are full of kids requiring extra support.
We have been funding the low life's to breed for cash:moo:

This is interesting to me. Why do you think this is?

I have been reading a bit recently about how the molly coddling and no fail style of parenting and teaching which is so prevalent these days is producing adults that cannot bare to fail or to be criticised. This means that when they get out in the workkplace they are not able to deal with being told what's what.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

House? i used to live in shoe box in middle of road

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I hope you are not mixing up kids with genuine support needs and those that are just running wild,that was not the point, fantastic leaps have been made with support for integrating kids into main stream education but resources are stretched due to the toe rags.

I was just asking your opinion. I have a kid with genuine support needs and to be honest with you I wonder why there are so many kids with problems like his. He has Autism which we have significantly controlled using a natural and balanced diet, this leads me to think that much of the problems faced by kids today can be alleviated by a decent diet and probably more exercise as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here