Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you feel about England now

Do you still have a passion for the England Football Team

• Total voters

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Growing up I cried when we lost to Germany in the world cup in 1990 on pens in the semis and also was gutted at euro 96 and France 98 and when we lost to Brazil in 2002.But in the last few years I seem to have lost interest in the national team,and no longer care if we win.

Tonight I was switching over to skysports news a few times and was wondering if its an age thing as you get older you care less,or is it that the team is just so poor and all these pampered players earning more in a week than most of us in a couple of years no longer wear the shirt with pride.Oh for the days of Robson,Butcher,Pearce guys that would die for the 3 lions.These current patch Gerrard and Lampard aside just dont seem to give a shit.

Its getting to the point where I really am thinking do I care if we get to Brazil 2014 :facepalm: Just wondering what fellow north stand chat members think?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have set my limitations on England. We can only aim for quarters at best but...

They are still my country.

It's cr@p when we don't make the finals of a competition.

FWIW, I still think we will make it to Brazil.

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
I have set my limitations on England. We can only aim for quarters at best but...

They are still my country.

It's cr@p when we don't make a final.

FWIW, I still think we will make it to Brazil.

I think we will struggle we have a poor manager and tonight in the 2nd half looked a shambles. Lescott and Smalling god help us!!!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think we will struggle we have a poor manager and tonight in the 2nd half looked a shambles. Lescott and Smalling god help us!!!!

But in the first half...........

I'm old enough to remember shambles in earlier World Cups. We were going out and Lineker popped up with a hat-trick against Poland.

The last minute winner against Belgium.

the disappointments of not qualifying at all in the 70s.

It's what England do.

As I said earlier. I now don't expect us to ever win the thing. It's something pumped up by the tabloids who then go on to destroy the team (bit like some of the Gus haters on here).

I would love England to do well. Brighton getting to the Premier League comes first though.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Can't always win everything. Otherwise I'd be a Man united "fan" if I wanted it that way. England is my country, they're an alright team but not world beaters and that's just the way it is but I'll always support them

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Rooney, Gerrard and Cole aside, we just don't have any players of Germany and Spain's calibre - We'll struggle to get a result away at Ukraine, and Montengro will probably get another point off us. Need a few of our players to play abroad in the other European leagues, as IMO our style of football is just too predictable.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
OP. Is it possible to change the poll, so we know who voted which way? Not sure why it's private?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I've always had the passion for England, even though I was born and grew up in Australia. Plastic England fans piss me off more than any plastic club fans.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I still have the passion, just not the same expectations...

This.

The passion is nothing compared to that for the Albion though.
Ultimately, I don't really care if England win or not. I'd like them to, but if they don't, I just think "Ah well, maybe next time".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Resigned acceptance that we'll struggle against any half decent technical team and not just the big guns. I've long since given up on any expectations of actually looking like contenders I just accept that we are also rans who occasionally pull out a good result but very rarely against a decent team in a meaningful game. Much less stressful to have such low expectations. I don't remember feeling passionate about England for a long time.

The England rugby team is TOTALLY different though, I have real passion for them :shrug:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
It's my birthright and I still want them to do well but frankly I don't care that much, I always want England and Australia to do well at the World Cup but fear both have already given us as good as we'll ever get - much more fun watching the South American teams, always has been really. I'm far more interested in how The Albion (and even Perth Glory) go if I'm honest.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
My interest has also wained. I started to lose interest in friendlies now I don't bother watching competitive games. Didn't even check the result until I woke up. My love for The Albion is as big as ever.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
Don't care. We will qualify and then struggle in our world cup group. We will get to quarters and then lose. We are only a top eight team in the world so are at our level now! Embrace it and enjoy!

Top 8! I think more realistically just in top 20 and that is being optimistic, the rankings are a joke. Just my opinion like.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I voted no but, thinking about it, it's not so much a lack of passion but fatigue.

Back in the '80s/'90s I honestly believed we were good enough to win tournaments. More recent managers, players and performances (not to mention age) have taken every bit of that belief away. All that's left is the terribly tired bulldog spirit cliche rolled out every time our team of multi-millionaire, barely interested, Premiership superstars play a decent team.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
not really cared for years as i have little respect for the rooney gerrard lampard generation.....as people.

we should probably play to ourEnglish strengths which are high tempo, high passion, blood and thunder - but each manager wants to become technical and good on the ball - which we are 15 years behind the worlds best. kick and rush all guns blazing might better suit our genetics/style.

we will still qualify - maybe thorugh the play-offs.

the thing is, club comes before country now in england because the clubs are massive and pretty much own the players.

hodgson is awful - if we had rednapp i might have got interested again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to watch England all the time on the telly, go to Wembley to see them from time to time and I have also been to a couple of away games. I was lucky to see the Euro '96 semi and I last saw England in the flesh in Russia in 2007.

My interest faded for the following reasons: 1) the sense of entitlement, misplaced self-belief and expectation without effort the players have 2) most of the players are utterly detestable figures and an embarassment to my country yet these morons represent my nation 3) the constant excuses and whining from the players 4) everything connected with the national game behind the scenes from grass roots to schoolboys to the top seems to disorganised, chaotic and fragmented. England will never succeed all the time the Prem, FL and FA pull in three different ways. 5) and finally the supporters need to look at themselves. Your accepting nature is as much to blame as say Rooney's inability on the world stage. English players are nowhere near as good as their foreign counterparts. You need to make this known instead of applauding every move they make and lapping up the shit they serve up as football and the nonsense they spout. Then maybe something will change.

I think 2) is my biggest reason. I could pick many examples but top of the pile is the fact a racist captained the team.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS one final thing: I started having these thoughts 5 years ago and used to get torn apart on these pages when I dared to share them. I was very very much in the minority. How the times have changed.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
This is the best post I have read for sometime. Agree 100%. The system is so corrupt we are beaten before we start.

I used to watch England all the time on the telly, go to Wembley to see them from time to time and I have also been to a couple of away games. I was lucky to see the Euro '96 semi and I last saw England in the flesh in Russia in 2007.

My interest faded for the following reasons: 1) the sense of entitlement, misplaced self-belief and expectation without effort the players have 2) most of the players are utterly detestable figures and an embarassment to my country yet these morons represent my nation 3) the constant excuses and whining from the players 4) everything connected with the national game behind the scenes from grass roots to schoolboys to the top seems to disorganised, chaotic and fragmented. England will never succeed all the time the Prem, FL and FA pull in three different ways. 5) and finally the supporters need to look at themselves. Your accepting nature is as much to blame as say Rooney's inability on the world stage. English players are nowhere near as good as their foreign counterparts. You need to make this known instead of applauding every move they make and lapping up the shit they serve up as football and the nonsense they spout. Then maybe something will change.

I think 2) is my biggest reason. I could pick many examples but top of the pile is the fact a racist captained the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here