Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

County Cricket

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Why is it that some counties have a major cricket team and others not? Why do say Sussex, Durham and Glamorgan have county teams but the likes of Dorset, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cheshire etc don't. Presumably historical but how has that come about?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why is it that some counties have a major cricket team and others not? Why do say Sussex, Durham and Glamorgan have county teams but the likes of Dorset, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cheshire etc don't. Presumably historical but how has that come about?
They do. Its called the minor counties.

Here you go

abc

Jan 6, 2007
They do. Its called the minor counties.

Here you go

I realise that but it's not like the difference between the EPL and say league one in football where clubs can move up and down quite regularly. The gap between the minor counties and the County team is massive and never the twain shall meet. Seems rather unfair really if you happen not to live in the right County and are a Cricket fan

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I realise that but it's not like the difference between the EPL and say league one in football where clubs can move up and down quite regularly. The gap between the minor counties and the County team is massive and never the twain shall meet. Seems rather unfair really if you happen not to live in the right County and are a Cricket fan

If you are a cricket fan I'm sure that Minor Counties matches are equally interesting. Remember, when you drive along and you see a cricket match on the green almost anywhere, your eyes are drawn to the bowler running in... although you rarely see the ball delivered ! it's all relative. Anyway, as time progresses counties can move up in to the bigger circuit, it was only 20 odd years ago that Durham joined the big time, before that I think it was Glamorgan who joined. Scotland have a representative team in one dayers against the English counties and it may come to pass that they have their national team in the county championship.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
If you want to know why Sussex in particular, we effectively invented the game as it started with the Southern counties; Sussex, Hampshire and Kent. Glamorgan only joined relatively recently compared to the rest. Presumably if some of the minor counties improved dramatically they may restructure Division 2 to include them.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
How come Northants has a CCC and Cambridgeshie doesn't?
Just not cricket old man!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here