Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Telegraph following The Times - paywall

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's frustrating, I really like the Times and the Telegraph. But I don't fancy copping up £1 for only the politics and sport section. Whilst it is good reading, I wish they condensed it like the Independent and 'I'.

But this makes sense financially, as more people would shift from paper to online.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You'll be able to view 20 free articles a month...

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I think, with all the news, comment and sport on the net in this day and age, it's a terrible move. It's going to alienate existing customers and put off potential new ones.

I would be incredibly interested to see how well The Times has gotten on since going behind a paywall. I can't imagine their figures are up somehow.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The Sun is set to follow in time for the new season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would be incredibly interested to see how well The Times has gotten on since going behind a paywall. I can't imagine their figures are up somehow.

from an article dated November 2012

Interesting that it says The Telegraph appears to have no intention of cutting off access to their site, but fast forward a few months and they do!

The Times
Founded in 1785, The Times remains the second biggest selling quality newspaper in the UK, behind The Daily Telegraph. It has had a presence online since March 1999, but since July 2010 has required readers that do not subscribe to its print edition to pay to access the website.

Initially, most assumed the paywall gamble would not pay off. Unlike publishers such as the FT and the WSJ, The Times produces general news that can be found almost anywhere on the web. And its rivals, the likes of the Guardian and The Daily Telegraph, appear to have no intention of cutting off access to their sites. Consequently, The Times Online lost almost 90% of its visitors in the months following the erection of the paywall, with monthly unique users dropping from 21m to around 2.7m. But digital subscriber numbers have steadily increased, with the firm now claiming to have more than 133,000 paying purely to access the site online and on mobile, not including those that get access via their print subscriptions.

Nevertheless, it would be hard to call the paywall a success. We can only assume that if the move was significantly boosting revenues News International would be doing all it could to get the news out. It isn’t. The paywall also hasn’t stemmed print losses, with overall subscribers continuing to fall month over month. As for all newspaper publishers, the future for The Times remains precarious and the firm will need to look to new platforms and new revenue streams if it wants to ensure it remains relevant in an increasingly digital world.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Reasonable charge of £1.99 per month for website access after the 20 free articles.

But as others have said, still the Guardian, and Independent to view freely.

they wont last long. its advertising that pays the bills and in mobile there's no room for ads. possible web could stay free and mobile version pay for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here