Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever booked one of these 'secret hotels' on Lastminute etc?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was having a brief look at what a weekend in London may cost and saw these temptingly HUGE discounts for 'secret' hotels. All you really know is the star rating and the rough location.

Has anyone ever booked these before and did it work out well?

I plan on actually being at the hotel for a very small portion of the day as I will be in the city but I'm just curious if it's a gamble that is actually relatively safe?

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I was having a brief look at what a weekend in London may cost and saw these temptingly HUGE discounts for 'secret' hotels. All you really know is the star rating and the rough location.

Has anyone ever booked these before and did it work out well?

I plan on actually being at the hotel for a very small portion of the day as I will be in the city but I'm just curious if it's a gamble that is actually relatively safe?

Booked one for a mate and his wife for his Birthday in Brighton. It turned out to be the Metropole. All above board and worked well

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Used it once. There's no trick. The place I stayed at wasn't too shabby and lived up to any pre-conceived expectations. Go for it

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
There's a big thread on another forum revealing the hotels.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thanks guys.

The thread with the hotel reveal is a good development.

The thing is, in London, the tube is so bloody easy that I don't mind being a distance out, just not TOO far.

I think I'll take the PLUNGE.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, we always look to use secret hotels...on lastminute you can work out which hotel it is with a bit of googling.

We need to be at heathrow on Friday by 8 in the morning so we booked a secret hotel which we worked out as the Novotel at heathrow and it should have been around £75 ish and we got it including brekkie for £35. We have to pay 12 for one nights parking, but would have paid that anyway.

The best one ever was the Marriott at heathrow which should have been £180 plus parking and we got that for £60 including parking for 15 days!

It's really worth investigating on Lastminute...you can work out which is which

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yes, we always look to use secret hotels...on lastminute you can work out which hotel it is with a bit of googling.

We need to be at heathrow on Friday by 8 in the morning so we booked a secret hotel which we worked out as the Novotel at heathrow and it should have been around £75 ish and we got it including brekkie for £35. We have to pay 12 for one nights parking, but would have paid that anyway.

The best one ever was the Marriott at heathrow which should have been £180 plus parking and we got that for £60 including parking for 15 days!

It's really worth investigating on Lastminute...you can work out which is which

THIS!

Persistent Googling to reveal the hotel's identity is the way forward

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
For a weekend up in london most of the 'secret' hotels are out near the city, but as previously said google will help you guess quite accurately where you are going.
I had an excellent dirty weekend up london on a secret hotel deal, and, given that if they were my sheets I'd probably have burnt them at the end of it, it was practically free.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So what happens, you book a hotel in a town city, and you get allocated on arrival like the old cheap holidays of the 80's?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So what happens, you book a hotel in a town city, and you get allocated on arrival like the old cheap holidays of the 80's?

No, you click on the secret hotel you want and it tells you as soon as you have paid which hotel it is.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Used them a few times, can usually find it out and usually decent.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Potentially a stupid question, but how late do you need to leave it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I tend to use Priceline for London weekends. It works slightly differently in that you 'bid' what you want to pay and, if your bid is accepted, you are committed to taking what you are given.

Again, you can work out what you may be getting by being clever about how you bid. Check out Better Bidding.

We've stayed in good places, such as the 5 star Grosvenor House on Park Lane for around £100 a night, when going via Expedia for the same stay would have been £300 per night. If you go 4/5* in the main central locations, you won't get a bad hotel.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Used it once, and ended up at The Atheneum overlooking Green Park (I think?). Very nice place.

Bugs Hill

Jan 13, 2004
A few of them 'decoded' :-

"Luxury In The Heart of the West End"
- The Langham.

"Luxury hotel near tower bridge, with pool and gym - 5*"
- Grange Tower Bridge

"Magnificent discounts at luxurious riverside hotel - 5*"
- Horseguards

"Amazing city hotel with luxury spa and pool - 5*"
- The Grange St Pauls

"Stylish hotel in the heart of leicester square - 5*"
- Raddison Hampshire

"Unbelievable offer at a hotel in piccadilly - 5*"
- Sheraton Park Lane

"Fabulous spa hotel near covent garden & west end - 5*"
- Grange Holbourn

"Ultra-luxury boutique mayfair hotel - 5*"
- St James Hotel and Club

"Iconic deluxe hotel in the heart of mayfair - 5*"
- The MayFair

"Luxury bond street hotel - 5*"
- Westbury Mayfair

"Superb spa hotel with pool in iconic location - 5*"
- Grange City Hotel

"Top west end hotel - 5*"
- The Athenaeum

"Exclusive hotel in Mayfair 5* traditional English fare"
- Rocco Forte Browns Hotel

"Modern yet elegant Knightsbridge"
– Millenium

"Elegant, deluxe 5* West End"
- Churchill

"Prestigious Park Lane"
- Park Lane Hilton

"MAYFAIR'S BEST ADDRESS
Set in the very heart of central London, next to Mayfair, Piccadilly & Park Lane, with its ultra contemporary rooms & facilities, guests will find themselves in great comfort & luxury within the best location London has to offer"

- The Intercontinental on Park Lane.

"ULTRA CENTRAL MAYFAIR WITH AMAZING RATES
Situated in the heart of London's most exclusive district, this deluxe hotel with its stylish rooms and suites, is one famous name surrounded by others. Guests will be spoilt for choice, given the hotel's ideal location amidst London's cultural treasures, theatres and shopping."

- The Westbury Mayfair

"CHARMING AND HOMELY BOUTIQUE HOTEL
Come and experience this fabulous 5* boutique hotel, a haven of peace, just 5 minutes walk away from Buckingham Palace and Piccadilly Circus. This British styled hotel will enlighten you with its warm welcome, 24 hour room service, free WIFI and free access to the gym and sauna. We also have a martini bar, a trendy champagne lounge and a fantastic Michelin starred Chef in house restaurant. What more could you want?"

- Dukes Hotel

"UNIQUE HOTEL BETWEEN SOHO AND WEST END
From its dazzling location at the hub of Covent Garden, West End theatres and Trafalgar Square, this hotel is a dramatic and daring. Smart, witty and sophisticated, this design-led hotel is without doubt something different to the norm. This is a place of luxury and will thrill and interest every visitor. An exciting, luxurious experience in the heart of London."

- St Martin’s Lane

"FABULOUS SPA HOTEL NEAR COVENT GARDEN AND WEST END
This hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Central London within walking distance to Oxford Street, Covent Garden, West End, the British Museum and the British Library. It offers complimentary use of its luxurious swimming-pool, gym, steam and sauna to all guests."

- Grange Holborn Hotel

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I have used them a few times in Paris, Milan and Brussels, and they have always been very good, nice and central and a decent standard.

On one occasion I was going to Paris and wanted to be near to a boulangerie, and I rang up lastminute.com and they gave me the hotel's address ("on the corner of these two streets") and some additional information, so I could pretty much work it out before booking.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Twice have to say worked out very well one was near marble arch and turned out to be the cumberland and the other time was near waterloo and turned out to be a five star hotel for about sixty quid!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Booked twice I once paid £80 for a nights stay turned out to be the Danubus hotel overlooking Lords cricket ground whilst the Cricket world cup was on the Dutch team were staying in the hotel as well.

When I got to the hotel a standard price booking on the day was £399

well worth it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here