Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World’s most hostile venue for a World Cup Qualifier ?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
US face Mexico tonight at the Azteca Stadium. Playing at Azteca is physically tough owing to the 7,200 foot altitude but it’s also physcologically challenging knowing that only one team, Costa Rica, has ever won a World Cup qualifier there in 2001. Players say the first 20 minutes are the worst when you always feel like you are struggling for oxygen. A draw is probably the best the US can hope for.

World's most hostile stadium ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Massive game - hope for unser Jurgen's sake that the US can get a result, plus I'd hate for them to miss out on the world cup. But as you say, tough as hell.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bit ridiculous for one side to have that much of advantage, isn't it?

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bolivia's is at nearly 12,000 feet I think. Although I'm not sure they're allowed to play there anymore. Mental place.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Bolivia's is at nearly 12,000 feet I think. Although I'm not sure they're allowed to play there anymore. Mental place.

According to wikipedia FIFA did bring in an altitude ban in in 2007, but after alot of protesting by the Bolivian FA and President their home ground in La Paz was exempted from the ban.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
mexico are played 2 lost 2 so far - so using all the tricks they can, and playing early afternoon too.

anyone see the ozzies nearly lost ot oman today.....heheh....0-2 down but drew.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm not sure these countries can do much about their topography, to be fair - any more than the US could do anything about that insane blizzard in Colorado against Costa Rica, say. Plus Mexico and the Azteca have hosted two of the best evah world cups.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Massive game - hope for unser Jurgen's sake that the US can get a result, plus I'd hate for them to miss out on the world cup.

I hope so too. It doesn’t help that Landon Donovan has decided to go AWOL. Klinsman said on Monday “Donovan is not part of the plans because simply he is not playing and not training.”

The missing piece - New York Times

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure these countries can do much about their topography, to be fair - any more than the US could do anything about that insane blizzard in Colorado against Costa Rica, say. Plus Mexico and the Azteca have hosted two of the best evah world cups.

Costa Rica are whining about that. Or at least I thought it was whining until I saw the footage when I concluded the conditions were totally absurd for soccering.

I hope the Americans get something in Mexico tonight. I do dislike the arrogance of Mexican football fans. They act like they are a major power and not the two bob outfit that their domestic game and world cup track record clearly indicates that they are.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Costa Rica are whining about that. Or at least I thought it was whining until I saw the footage when I concluded the conditions were totally absurd for soccering.

It's hard to tell of course but when the ref tried to take both teams off at the start of the second half, it did look as if the Costa Ricans were pleading as much as the Americans for the game to continue: they were losing at the time but looked very much like they were about to score. I don't think their appeal has a chance tbh. EPIC game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here