Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any 'Instagram'-style video camcorders for that authentic '70s look?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just watching some old '70s footage of various locations in Brighton town a few days ago got me thinking about how to get that slightly-too-bright, yellowish look when recording video. I'm sure there's software filters that can be applied in post-production, and that's one option, I suppose. However, I wished to see whether there are any digital camcorders that natively shoot video this way.

I know there's an Instagram-style Polaroid camera coming out next year

article-0-186D259C000005DC-252_634x350.jpg

However, I'd love to have a camcorder equivalent - or a phone app that does this.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas let me know... and is there a technical name for that retro look I'm after?

instagram.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I'll bet the only way is to return to using film. A lot of photography nerds have never stopped using film because of the difference in the final product.
Look at that picture, it's fuzzy the colour is all washed out etc.
I have been taking and processing pictures since I was a little lad, never go back.

PICT0002.JPG Dreadful!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
there are loads of apps on the iPhone that can do this. just search 'vintage video' in the app store (or android market, i'm sure there would be android equivalents). If you're using an iPhone i'd recommend an app called 'KitCam' which lets you apply effects to the video before you shoot it, so you get a live preview.

obviously nothing matches buying an old 80s or 90s camcorder and doing it yourself :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'll bet the only way is to return to using film. A lot of photography nerds have never stopped using film because of the difference in the final product.
Look at that picture, it's fuzzy the colour is all washed out etc.
I have been taking and processing pictures since I was a little lad, never go back.

View attachment 40898 Dreadful!

That's gorgeous!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks, everyone, for pointing me in the right direction. Instagram-style videos of action from the Amex on the way!

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
check out viddy man. It's basically what you're after, & rather nice for sharing lil videos.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks, guys!

I now have Magisto, Kitcam, Viddy, Instagram and 8mm on my iPhone, and some new Presets on After Effects. And Analog to do some Instagram-effects to photos.

I'm still surprised there isn't an Instagram-effect digital camcorder, with 70s styling hardware, but at least I have options!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Thanks, guys!

I now have Magisto, Kitcam, Viddy, Instagram and 8mm on my iPhone, and some new Presets on After Effects. And Analog to do some Instagram-effects to photos.

I'm still surprised there isn't an Instagram-effect digital camcorder, with 70s styling hardware, but at least I have options!

GameUrVideo, despite the dreadful name, is very good too.

Kitcam.... is that worth 69p? The reviews are fulsome in their praise (written by the developers friends?)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's a social network site run by Facebook which allows users just to upload photos. Their followers can 'like' the photo or comment on it once it is put up.

Yes, and in addition, it's a social network that has become associated with a particular 'vintage photo' look due to the retro filters that are commonly applied to the photos.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Surely you'd rather have decent quality footage to work with from the outset? Then you can make it looks all dodgy and instagramy in post?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Surely you'd rather have decent quality footage to work with from the outset? Then you can make it looks all dodgy and instagramy in post?

Feels more authentic to be shot natively in that retro way rather than have the effect to be applied afterwards....

(and I know what I'm saying sounds irrational)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In that case grab yourself an 8mm camera! That'll do the job nicely!

This is definitely something that would appeal. Anyone know how much they cost? And are they guaranteed to have that yellowy-ness no matter which one I buy?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas let me know... and is there a technical name for that retro look I'm after?

old? grainy? washed out? crap?

seriously, i get the appeal they have a nostalgic feel. but a product that applied this "nativley" would be horrible as you'd be stuck with a poor quality image. much better to do such stuff post-production, keeping the original. i'm pretty sure i have seen a retro camera housing modern gubbins though, so dig around.

This is definitely something that would appeal. Anyone know how much they cost? And are they guaranteed to have that yellowy-ness no matter which one I buy?

isnt the yellowing a product of aging? i dont think you'd have the same effect new.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008

It's not too expensive - but using an old VHS camcorder you get a similar lo-fi quality, obviously not the same aesthetic as you would get with a 8mm but a lot cheaper.
Screen Shot 2012-04-16 at 14.02.43.png
Not exactly what you were after, but still.....

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
In (very) vaguely related news, did anyone see that TV camera man sitting to the left of the technical area at the U21 game with a beige Canon that wouldn't have looked out of place on a 1970s episode of MOTD? He seemed to spend most of the game filming towards the dug-outs rather than focusing on the pitch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here