Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England U21 MoM - Wickham - agree?

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
He missed an awful lot of chances before finally beautifully rounding the keeper and putting a goal away but I think I would have given it to Jonjo Shelvey.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Certainly not Wickham. Shelvey or Chalobah for me.

Also thought the Austria number 8 had a good game for them, bearing in mind the circumstances.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Chalobah - missed a chance, but what a shot with the last kick of the first half and looked great pushing forward from midfield. Agree about the Austria number 8 and captain - plays for Stuttgart.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
á
Yea he was mine. Thought he plate very well[/QUOTE
Were you at the game, Wickham was absolute dross. Well taken goal was his only decent contribution. If that lot, with the exeption of Stering,Shelvey, Chalobah andRose, are the future of English football we are well and truly ****ed

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
á
Yea he was mine. Thought he plate very well[/QUOTE
Were you at the game, Wickham was absolute dross. Well taken goal was his only decent contribution. If that lot, with the exeption of Stering,Shelvey, Chalobah andRose, are the future of English football we are well and truly ****ed

To get 4 out of one U21 squad is actually very good.

England's national squad is never made up of a core group of previous U-21's all from the same squad.

If 4 of those progress in 2/3 years time and you have people like Rooney, Baines, Hart as the seniors, Walker, Wilshire, Clevely, Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain as mid 20's and then a few more players we don't know about yet also in there then that's a whole new squad.

So no, we're not ****ed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was surprised at Wickham being given MOM. It was either Shelvey or Townsend for me. I liked Wisdom.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I didn't go, but can someone tell me, was Andros Townsend good?

He has been carrying QPR by himself since joining on loan from Spurs. I remember him scratchiung around on loan to a lot of League one teams like Yeovil when we were down there, but suddenly he looks brilliant.

I can see him getting into the spurs squad much more regularly next season, and thus the perhaps the full england team eventually (maybe not before the WC if we get there)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Townsend was okay apart from one appalling pass that gave away possession and nearly resulted in a goal for Austria. Not what we're used to at the Amex ...

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Agree about Wickham. Took his goal well - against nine men, but otherwise his touch was poor and generally looked ponderous. You could see why he is only on the fringes of the Premiership. Nobody really stood out for England but the Austrian no 8 looked a real prospect. I thought Sterling was disappointing - reminded me of Zaha for that other team - a lot of "look at me I can run round in circles" but no real outcomes!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Thought Wickham was having a terrible game till his goal. Townsend was the other disappointment.

England are going to struggle in future with this crop of strikers! The main team isn't exactly blessed with depth either though.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The England U21 manager never gets to pick all the players that could play as there have always been young players in the senior squad. Rooney never player for the U21's and Wilshere has played only 7. There are quite a few young players around who could have been involved in this U21 campaign. The list below are of players all the same age or younger than Jordan Henderson:
Phil Jones 21
Carl Jenkinson 21
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 19
Kyle Walker 22
Steven Caulker 21
Nick Powell 19
Danny Welbeck 22
Jack Rodwell 22
Martin Kelly 22
Ross Barkley 19
Callum McManaman 21

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
errm - wasn't it wickhams nice dribble that set up a simple tap in for the 3rd goal (I think it was the one scored by that bolton player, sordell). His goal certainly wasn't his only contribution but otherwise he was ponderous in the box and his shooting wasn't great.

Totally agree that the austrian number 8 was great - sign him up Gus. He put in excellent corners and seemed to play in every position through the game.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think Townsend was one of our worst players, surprised he played the whole match. Very one footed, not very quick, average in other areas (passing, crossing) and has a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later.

Wow. I'm amazed to hear it. As I said before, for QPR he has been the exact opposite of that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Townsend was one of our worst players, surprised he played the whole match. Very one footed, not very quick, average in other areas (passing, crossing) and has a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later.

I wonder sometimes if people watch the same match as me. I thought he got past his man well and got some good crosses in from outside the box and from inside the box from the byline.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Personally thought Wickham was poor and surprised that he got MOM. Like has been said elsewhere and being unbiased my MOM would of been the Austrian number 8. Would be happy to see him in an Albion shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here