Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tiger Woods

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
World No.1 again... Won three times already this year.

Credit to him for coming back he has some desire to win.

37 years old - 99 pro wins, 77 PGA tour wins, 14 majors and wins 28% of the events he enters.

Surely he's the greatest golfer there has ever been even if he doesn't beat Jack's record?

(I actually don't think he'll win the masters the year but you can't go wrong with an each-way bet!)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You can go very wrong with an each way bet, at 7/2 if he is placed, you will get back less than you stake. Don't see the point in that myself. For what it's worth I think he will piss the Masters. Four times winner around Augusta and even done well there when his game was off. The course is taylor made for Woods and I think he will win it by 3 or 4 strokes. 7/2 might seem a bit skinny, but I actually think that's a blinding bet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This year he has only won on HIS courses.

Check out the past winners at each event on the same course, they will all look familiar.

Yes Tiger is 'coming back' but he's still got a long way to go.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
No, the game is a lot easier these days.

But the competition is much harder. In Jack's heyday Golf was still a game played mainly by the elite,it was very much a rich mans game. The amount of pro's about today is unbelievable.. The game maybe easier to play, but winning tournaments is harder than ever. The Golden Bear is very much a childhood hero of mine and i'd love to say he is the best ever. But i'm afraid that is Tiger Woods.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
But the competition is much harder. In Jack's heyday Golf was still a game played mainly by the elite,it was very much a rich mans game. The amount of pro's about today is unbelievable.. The game maybe easier to play, but winning tournaments is harder than ever. The Golden Bear is very much a childhood hero of mine and i'd love to say he is the best ever. But i'm afraid that is Tiger Woods.

Do you play golf? I think the best ever came from a lot further back than Nicklaus.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Woods has done well to get back to form but don't forget a lot of the top players weren't in this competition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tiger Woods wins at Torrey Pines:-
He won for the 75th time in his PGA Tour career, seven behind the record held by Sam Snead.
Woods won this tournament for the seventh time, and he set a PGA Tour record by winning at Torrey Pines for the eighth time, including his 2008 U.S. Open. Woods

Tiger Woods Wins WGC-Cadillac Championship At Doral:-
Woods earned his second win of the season, his fourth at Doral

Tiger Woods reclaims world No 1 spot following Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill:-
With his eighth Bay Hill course triumph, the 37-year-old Woods replaces Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy atop the world rankings

As good as he is, there's still an element of 'horses for courses'.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don't think that 3 years away from the top spot is domination?

I was talking about the last 15-20 years.

Re multiple tournaments. Yes he wins lots on the same courses but in the early 00s he won pretty much everywhere so obviously he will be multiple winner.

These days so many more are competitive than in jack's day.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I would say that 7/1 for The Open Championship is a decent bet (even though I'm on at 10s). Last time at Muirfield in 2002, he was nicely in contention after 2 rounds but then got the worst of the weather on the Saturday, where it blew a hoolie and pissed down and he shot 81. He hit back on Sunday with a 65 so I'd say Muirfield suits him. Even with average form between now and July he won't go off any bigger than 7/1. If he wins The Masters or The US Open then he'll be about 3/1.

I really can't decide about the 7/2 for The Masters but I think one of the friendly bookie chaps will try and get him in the book and offer 5/1+ sometime near the event so wont be backing him yet. Keep em peeled for those special offers:thumbsup:

He wins a lot on the same courses because he only plays the same tournaments year in year out.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do you play golf? I think the best ever came from a lot further back than Nicklaus.

Yes, I've been playing for thirty years and worked on two of the top courses in the south east for over 13 years in the past.....and I was better 25 years ago than I am now lol......Your talking about a time when you had to be practically aristocracy, to be a member of a golf club. Of course the players today are a much, much higher standard than they have ever been in the past...As they are in all sports, that's just a sign of the times, modern equipment and the riches involved.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Golf may have been a rich man's game, but the best from the early 20th century were mostly ex-caddies. Poor men who played golf to earn money. Professional golfers were a dirty word, not allowed into clubhouses even. I would love to see Tiger Woods play with the scabby equipment that the likes of Harry Vardon, for example, had to play with.

When Woods first came on the scene, he could do things with a golf ball that others couldn't. He raised the bar, but now most of them can play like him on their day. It is difficult to say, but I don't think Woods is the best ever. Someone like Vardon, Bobby Jones (an amateur, the exception rather than the rule in those days), Ben Hogan or Walter Hagen all have a better claim imo.

As for Woods as a human being and ambassador for the sport, I think he stinks. But for that, I blame his upbringing and in certain respects I feel sorry for him. It is no surprise that his life took a turn for the worse once his father died.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here