Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Calderon Scoops PFA Community Award

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Inigo Calderon has been named PFA Player in the Community at the Football League Awards 2013.
Calderon received the award at the gala ceremony at The Brewery, London, on Sunday evening in front of over 600 guests from clubs, sponsors and the football industry. This year there were a total of 17 awards with 34 clubs shortlisted for honours.
The 31-year-old beat competition from Huddersfield Town's Alan Lee and Stevenage's Mark Roberts to claim the overall Award.
During 2012, Calderon made numerous appearances but set the benchmark by designing and delivering educational workshops for the club's beneficiaries. He has a degree in Sports Psychology and has used this to deliver inspirational sessions to jobseekers, apprentices and school children, alongside sharing his personal stories and experiences.
On winning the award Calderon said: "I do this work because I feel that you have to put something back. I play because I love it and I really enjoy going into schools and helping our fans.
"I think Brighton is the best club in the country for community involvement and it is great to be a part of it."
For this award clubs were asked to nominate one player from their first-team squad who they felt had played the most significant part in supporting the club's community programme during the 2012 calendar year.
The judges were looking to recognise the player whose involvement has gone above and beyond that which would normally be expected of a professional player.
Greg Clarke, Chairman of The Football League, said: "The Football League Awards 2013 has given us another opportunity to celebrate success at League clubs both on and off the pitch. It gives us the chance to reward those who have achieved fantastic results throughout the year. I would like to congratulate tonight's winners and all those who were nominated."
Albion were also shortlisted for the Family Club of the Year Award but lost out to winners Cardiff City.
p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here