Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Die young to become a legend ?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Would MONROE , JAMES DEAN , BUDDY HOLLY , ELVIS & JOHN LENNON have become iconic legends if they hadn't died in their prime , if you take a look at PAUL MACCARTNEY most people ridicule him these days and say he's shite but if he'd died at 40 would he have become a legend and LENNON become a boring old fart ?
Or on another note who would you class as a living iconic legend ?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
People take this piss out of McCartney but I am sure when he goes he will fall into the aboslute legend catergary.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would MONROE , JAMES DEAN , BUDDY HOLLY , ELVIS & JOHN LENNON have become iconic legends if they hadn't died in their prime
Monroe - no, Dean - maybe, Holly - yes, Elvis - yes, and he didn't die in his prime - Lennon, same

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
jeff buckley - the biggest loss to music ever, because there was so much to come. Amazing singer, guitarist and composer. I'm looking forward to the movie, when eventually it gets made

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
jeff buckley - the biggest loss to music ever, because there was so much to come. Amazing singer, guitarist and composer. I'm looking forward to the movie, when eventually it gets made

Like father like son ! An absolute phenominal talent. But who goes swimming with boots on ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Monroe - no, Dean - maybe, Holly - yes, Elvis - yes, and he didn't die in his prime - Lennon, same

i'd go with that. Elvis was a icon in his own life time. Lennon you only have to see the idolisation of McCartney (despite alot of boo boys), Dean would have been "just" another actor like all the other famous, idolised actors. Monroe was a bit of an also ran really.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Living iconic legend - BB King?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Winifred Zaha died a death last Sunday and he hasn't become a legend.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Died before his time - Sam Cooke. What a voice and what a singer.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Others
Sid vicious
Phil Lynnot
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Kurt Cobain

Sid vicious - I don't think so - I adored the pistols- but sid , bless him, had almost zero talent
. Did a nice vocal on something else. The others Had their time. Jeff had one album.. his dad was talented. But was on a downward slope, wasting his talent.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Monroe, Elvis and Lennon were already living legends when they died, as was Paul McCartney at the time of Lennon's murder. I can't comment on Dean and Holly, because they were slightly before my time and I knew nothing about them. Greta Garbo was also a living legend but she gave up films and lived as a virtual recluse, keeping well out of the public eye, so she maintained her legendary statu, even as an old woman. Paul McCartney has kept in the public eye, and few who weren't around in the 60s and 70s would fully appreciate just how much he contributed to British music, and still does. But because he's still in the public eye, and tries to keep a youthful look, youngsters see him as ridiculous. But Lennon and McCartney will go down in musical and social history on a par with the likes of Beethoven or Mozart while JLS will just disappear, like so many others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here