Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Bicycle

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I ain't doing this for fun, or green credentials (wankers). I am seriously contemplating a bicycle for fitness, and to save a tenner a week on petrol as a by product. Looking for a bike which will take me from Hove to Sarfwick for a couple of days a week, no steep hills but a couple of long shallow ones in either direction. Have looked at the Giant Roam series, but not cheap at £349 upwards, or a Raleigh Diamondback. The Raleigh chap seemed more interested in telling me how much he would discount the bike rather than advise me, and offered up to £ 480 of 'free' servicing over 2 years if I bought from his shop.

All in all, I am tempted by a Giant Roam.......any advice?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Summer coming very soon and i think i would much rather ride a motorbike for £10 per week.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The Giants are supposed to be great, but I opted for one of these bad boys, ride every day from Hove to North Street and LOVE IT.

Boardman_Hybrid_Comp_xl.jpg

Boardman Bikes : Hybrid : COMP

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there was a specific cycling thread.

Go on, dip your toe in, we don't bite.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I ain't doing this for fun, or green credentials (wankers). I am seriously contemplating a bicycle for fitness, and to save a tenner a week on petrol as a by product. Looking for a bike which will take me from Hove to Sarfwick for a couple of days a week, no steep hills but a couple of long shallow ones in either direction. Have looked at the Giant Roam series, but not cheap at £349 upwards, or a Raleigh Diamondback. The Raleigh chap seemed more interested in telling me how much he would discount the bike rather than advise me, and offered up to £ 480 of 'free' servicing over 2 years if I bought from his shop.

There a lot of ride to work schemes which would allow you to spread the cost. If you are only going to use it to ride to work wouldn't go to mad.

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013

I`ve just done the same listened to all the bollox from different bike salesmen,ended up buying a Harry Quinn road bike great bargain good condition and won`t go out of fashon

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'd get a road bike rather than a hybrid or mountain style as if your only doing road commutes, you will get more out of it. Check out the buying guide links below:

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-£500

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/cheap-road-bikes-our-pick-of-the-best-35756/

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Looks cool, but where from?

To GiB seagull.......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not sure why someone being conscious of the environment or standard of living deserves being labelled a wanker, but you could try G-Whizz in Brunswick Street East. Nothing is new, but they have a great range of bikes (generally). Worth a shot if you don't fancy spending a large sum. I am too scared to own a new bike in Brighton and park it anywhere. Bike theft is a big problem, I've discovered.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There a lot of ride to work schemes which would allow you to spread the cost. If you are only going to use it to ride to work wouldn't go to mad.

This is where it goes all Tong. The company owner does the payroll, finds the cycle to work scheme a pain to administer, and would rather buy the bike for the staff member. But I want a £500 bike, not £150, but I don't want to be obligated to ride everyday........time to insist or negotiate.........my boss, my job..........negotiate!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Hmmm, a life that's more fun, healthier, uses less money & resource, and where you share expertise with people (eg this thread). That's pretty much a definition of a 'green' lifestyle, OP. So are you calling yourself a w*****? ;-)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
This is where it goes all Tong. The company owner does the payroll, finds the cycle to work scheme a pain to administer, and would rather buy the bike for the staff member. But I want a £500 bike, not £150, but I don't want to be obligated to ride everyday........time to insist or negotiate.........my boss, my job..........negotiate!

You don't have to do it though work I think Evens bike shop and others do the bike scheme and some good bikes also.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hmmm, a life that's more fun, healthier, uses less money & resource, and where you share expertise with people (eg this thread). That's pretty much a definition of a 'green' lifestyle, OP. So are you calling yourself a w*****? ;-)

As a male, I am as described. As a member of society, I try not to be.

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
I'd recommend South Downs Bikes in Storrington (another branch in Goring). Very knowledgeable and good range of road, hybrid and MTB in stock. I live in Shoreham and would never set foot in the Raleigh shop (Cycle Life) again as they are clueless from experience to date. There is also a small independent bike shop on Shoreham High St run by proper bike people. I ride a MTB, on and off road and works for me... Just done 60 miles on it this weekend, but would prefer it to be a bit warmer for time of year! Good luck with whatever you choose.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Looks good, where d'you park it?

It was £500 from Halfords, but according to the reviews I read, it seems you get a lot of bike for your money but the downside is having to buy it there - which is all honestly hasn't really been a downside at all for me.

First bike I've owned which hasn't been a cheap mountain bike and I'm well happy. Luckily I'm able to bring it into the work building and store it in my house at night, I don't like leaving it chained up anywhere to be honest. :)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Get a bike that fits you, and is suited to the purpose you want it for. If you never intend to take it off road buy a road bike - it'll be much faster and more rewarding than dragging a mountain bike around. Test ride several and get the one that feels like 'your' bike.

Don't forget to budget for helmet, gloves, locks, lights, tools and spares. If buying locally try to get some of these thrown in if you can, but don't take the piss as a good, trustworthy local bike shop is worth its weight in gold.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here