Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham get Olympic Stadium

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
West Ham get the stadium which cost £600m for a £15m down payment and £2m a year rent. The stadium will hold 54,000 fans. They will also get £27m from the taxpayer to help transform the stadium for football.

This brings into question why should West Ham get the stadium.
The Stadium is closer to Leyton Orient than West Ham.
What happens to West Hams old stadium...will it be sold and the money go to West Ham or will it go to pay the taxpayer to pay back for the alterations. I have no beef with WH but it seems they are getting a big hand up from the taxpayer.
Could WH share the ground with LO.?
Plenty of issues....your thoughts..

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Reminds me of the exact same subject on the other "West Ham gets the Olympic Stadium" thread!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I read this on the other thread,too,but I can't quite recall if anybody pointed out that this is just the Nation paying back the Hammers for winning us the World Cup in 1966.

Which they did,obviously.

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
I think West Ham Athletic have had a result here. I'll miss Upton Park, they will have attract new support, like us in some ways, as they don't fill up there existing stadium.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
West Ham get the stadium which cost £600m for a £15m down payment and £2m a year rent. The stadium will hold 54,000 fans. They will also get £27m from the taxpayer to help transform the stadium for football.

What happens to West Hams old stadium...will it be sold and the money go to West Ham or will it go to pay the taxpayer to pay back for the alterations. I have no beef with WH but it seems they are getting a big hand up from the taxpayer.

My issue is that it should be our "National Stadium" and not another football stadium. If the taxpayer is only going to get peppercorn rent, and have to invest heavily to obtain that, it should be retained for athletics, concerts, etc. At best, West Ham should only be allowed to use it for their matches under a shared use agreement.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Wasn't it a similar story with Man City?

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
It's probably been said already but it rather sticks in the throat that such a fantastic new staduim has simply fallen into West Ham's lap with the minimum of effort and outlay of expenditure. This compares rather starkley with what the Albion had to go through to secure planning permission for the Amex. To rub salt in the wounds there is a mighty chunk of tax payers money being tossed at the stadium from which only West Ham will benefit. This is only because the Mayor of London and the Government wanted to get rid of the stadium before it became a white elephant for which they would have been held responsible. I am pleased the stadium now has a long term future and that football will be played there but West Ham should have paid a proper price not got it at Boris's fire sale. How about they started at £93m!

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
I think West Ham Athletic have had a result here. I'll miss Upton Park, they will have attract new support, like us in some ways, as they don't fill up there existing stadium.

I don't think WHU should have been 'given' the stadium - but must stress, before we all get hypocritical here, the VERY important point made above, re: 'new' fans.....

:whistle:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
It will be an absolute travesty of justice if this is allowed to happen. The league rules forbid another club to move grounds which adversely effects another club ie Leyton Orient and no F**ker on the board have the balls to implement the letter of the law. The FA and the league love West Ham and are so bias towards them it's unbelievable. A classic example is the Carlos Teves situation where West Ham were found guilty and wern't deducted points like other clubs because "there fans would be upset" total joke!. I will hold them in contempt as much as MK dons for ever if this is allowed to happen.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It does seem completely unfair that West Ham should just have to pay £15 for a £600m stadium - at least they could cough up for the conversion costs. Presumably they will also benefit from the sale of Upton Park to developers (at least £15m I'd have thought), so in effect they are getting a brilliant spanking new stadium for nothing. Gives them a huge advantage compared to what other clubs have to go through - especially given the fact that it's a much higher capacity than Upton Park. Man City got a very similar advantage moving to the Eitihad. I can now firmly add West Ham to the list of clubs I truly dislike.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Suicide move. The rent will eventually cripple them as they will only be making money from tickets. Catering money, etc, will go straight to the government.

Also, the view will be UTTER SHITE.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Suicide move. The rent will eventually cripple them
£2m a year, which reduces after a while? That's a lot less than the cost of what we have tied up in capital.
as they will only be making money from tickets. Catering money, etc, will go straight to the government.
Are you sure? I thought they got a share of the catering. But even if they don't, they could end up with a lot of bums on seats, and merchandise sales.

Every cloud.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It has got to be better than the shite view from the away end at shitey Upton Park. Mind you, anything is better than that fricking dump's away end. God I dislike that club.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It has got to be better than the shite view from the away end at shitey Upton Park. Mind you, anything is better than that fricking dump's away end. God I dislike that club.

IIRC, the closest seat to the pitch at the Olympic stadium will be 40m. The furthest seat at the Amex is 57m from the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here