Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A salutary warning about football managers and their power to wreck a club

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Reading through the "Argus" yesterday, nice to see Mullers looking so chipper and keen on the Albion.

As a Palace fan I did not welcome him managing the club in the early 1980's but he did not stay long. And after a hiatus we got Steve Coppell..enough said.

However the great rivalry between Mullery and Venables back in the 1970's, former team mates (?) at Spurs laid the foundations for the hostility between the two clubs that continues to this day. However I can't imagine "El Tel" being feted in the Palace boardroom after what he did to the club, not once but twice.

To refresh your memories, Venables left Palace's "Team of the Eighties" in their second season in Div.1 (1980-81) taking a large number of the playing and backroom staff with him. The side collapsed to finish bottom and relgated.

Amazingly he was approached again, when Palace were struggling in the Premiership having scraped in through the play-offs in 1997. A fat contract did not seem to give much incentive as the club eventually appointed a non-English speaking player (Attilio Lombardo) with a Swede (Tomas Brolin) to translate for him. Again the club finished bottom.

The point I amaking is that Gus Poyet has a very tight-knit support group of Spanish speakers. If he did go how many would stay? How many would he want to take to his new club? I wouldn't Albion to suffer what Palace did in 1980. Venables was a great coach who almost got England to the World Cup Final in 1990, but as a manager...I hope Gus treats Albion better when he decides to leave.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Robson was manager of England in 1990, not Venables.

Also, Venables left Palace after one win in about ten games at the start of the 1980/81 season. The rot had already set in - it wasn't caused by him leaving.

When Mullery took over at Palace, the club didn't have a pot to piss in. He did a great job to keep your ungrateful lot in the second tier when a slide back into the Third Division was on the cards.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Robson was manager of England in 1990, not Venables.

Also, Venables left Palace after one win in about ten games at the start of the 1980/81 season. The rot had already set in - it wasn't caused by him leaving.

When Mullery took over at Palace, the club didn't have a pot to piss in. He did a great job to keep your ungrateful lot in the second tier when a slide back into the Third Division was on the cards.

Sorry I blipped out about Venables as England manager. There was one World Cup he was in charge of wasn't there?

You can't imagine though how Palace fans took his desertion in 1980. The guy just wrecked what could have been a great side by stripping it out to get QPR promoted.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Sorry I blipped out about Venables as England manager. There was one World Cup he was in charge of wasn't there?

You can't imagine though how Palace fans took his desertion in 1980. The guy just wrecked what could have been a great side by stripping it out to get QPR promoted.

Venables was never in charge of WC campaign, are you thinking of Euro 1996? You really shouldn't post about things you know nothing about, does your credibility no good at all!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
All the Spaniards will be too old and Gus will only manage at a higher level,coupled with a young wealthy seagulls fan as chairman i mean how many more do we have lurking?

Good support ,what was it 100 more for the game last Sunday than Brighton v Palace in 1979? where have all the plastics come from? the same farm as the chairman,they were always there and unlike Palace were the worst to happen,we would not go from 28,000 to 4,000 in 2 years-trust me..

Many managers often go back to their old clubs,for staff/players and some don't bother too much,the best managers fall into the latter part.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Reading through the "Argus" yesterday, nice to see Mullers looking so chipper and keen on the Albion.

As a Palace fan I did not welcome him managing the club in the early 1980's but he did not stay long. And after a hiatus we got Steve Coppell..enough said.

However the great rivalry between Mullery and Venables back in the 1970's, former team mates (?) at Spurs laid the foundations for the hostility between the two clubs that continues to this day. However I can't imagine "El Tel" being feted in the Palace boardroom after what he did to the club, not once but twice.

To refresh your memories, Venables left Palace's "Team of the Eighties" in their second season in Div.1 (1980-81) taking a large number of the playing and backroom staff with him. The side collapsed to finish bottom and relgated.

Amazingly he was approached again, when Palace were struggling in the Premiership having scraped in through the play-offs in 1997. A fat contract did not seem to give much incentive as the club eventually appointed a non-English speaking player (Attilio Lombardo) with a Swede (Tomas Brolin) to translate for him. Again the club finished bottom.

The point I amaking is that Gus Poyet has a very tight-knit support group of Spanish speakers. If he did go how many would stay? How many would he want to take to his new club? I wouldn't Albion to suffer what Palace did in 1980. Venables was a great coach who almost got England to the World Cup Final in 1990, but as a manager...I hope Gus treats Albion better when he decides to leave.

Your knowledge of the beautiful game is like your team.
****ing pony!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What we have here is how one eyed opinions can get bedded in with partisan supporters. It's like Benitez at Chelsea, he has had an impossible job there and will be forever remembered as a total spanner by the Chelsea fans...just like agent Mullery at Palace.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What we have here is how one eyed opinions can get bedded in with partisan supporters. It's like Benitez at Chelsea, he has had an impossible job there and will be forever remembered as a total spanner by the Chelsea fans...just like agent Mullery at Palace.

No what we have hear quite clearly is a deluded Palace fan,that like me was not around in the early 1980's quoting crap he/she has heard from word of mouth-

How i missed the bit about Robson? I suppose Venables guided us to the 1986 World Cup Quarter Finals too.

Same old Palace,have an answer for everything,a reason for most things,knowledge on some things,and they take time to come across as the big all powerful all wonderful been there and done it all superior types,with every bitter and twisted story since Jackablooming nory as to why we will fail..

The Future?
Brighton-could serve 2 administrations and survive.
Palace -the match ball could see them gone forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here