Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Managers You Rated

el punal

Having watched the Albion since the 1960s I was thinking how many gaffers have left that I was sorry to see go. A few spring to mind :

Freddie Goodwin - who was poached by Birmingham City. From being a dull middle third division club he changed us into a promotion challenging team with a bit of oompf. Just think of Alex Ooh! Ooh! Dawson and mutilated opposition goalies!

Pat Saward - with virtually little or no money managed a team with some astute signings - Bert Murray, Ken Beamish for example, and got us promoted, against the odds, into Div.2. Shame the success could'nt be sustained the following season. Was sacked in favour of . . . . . Brian Clough!

Alan Mullery - What a legend! Why oh why did he have that spat with Mike Bamber. If he had stayed I'm sure we would have stayed in the top flight a lot longer.

Micky Adams (First Time Around) - Right man, right time. Perfect manager in the circumstances. I honestly thought he was going to Southampton following Hoddle's departure.

Gus . . . . .don't you dare!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
McGhee for the play off win and keeping us up against all odds.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Steve Gritt for keeping us up when we were dead and buried, had we gone down things "would" be very different it was essential we stayed in the league at that point. legend

Go as far as to say rip down Leon Knight banner and put up Steve Gritt

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Steve Gritt for keeping us up when we were dead and buried, had we gone down things "would" be very different it was essential we stayed in the league at that point. legend

Go as far as to say rip down Leon Knight banner and put up Steve Gritt

Agreed. I don't think he ever gets the credit he deserves

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Agreed. I don't think he ever gets the credit he deserves

Well that is because we had the same shit pants team the following season, but we were at Gillingham and could not replicate our home form in front of 3-4 thousand fans with not even half the passion from the terraces. Steve Gritt did save the team, but alot was and is down to the fans that turned up and after the intial backlash against Steve got behind him and the "team" what a last game that was at the Goldstone I still choke thinking about it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Chris Cattlin, Peter Taylor (Clough & Taylor variety), Barry Lloyd, Gus, Steve Gritt.

But Mullers the best

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Chrissy Cattlin's blue and white army.....Sacking Cattlin was a disgrace, what a side he built on free transfers and budget buys after having the cup final side all but ripped to shreds in six months. Penny, Wilson, Young, Mortimer, Worthington, Saunders and many others and the man had blue and white blood running through his veins.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Chrissy Cattlin's blue and white army.....Sacking Cattlin was a disgrace, what a side he built on free transfers and budget buys after having the cup final side all but ripped to shreds in six months. Penny, Wilson, Young, Mortimer, Worthington, Saunders and many others and the man had blue and white blood running through his veins.

I'm with you on that one.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

This

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Always remember chatting to Chris Cattlin before getting on a Seagull Special train with the players to Ipswich ???-----how times have changed:)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I can still remember when Cattlin fined himself a weeks wages after a drab 0-0 draw at the Goldstone against Barnsley, taking full responsibility for the team poor performance on the basis that he picked and motivated the side, so he must have done a bad job that week.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It a testimony to how much the exhilarating football of the 1971/72 promotion side is loved that Pat Saward is rated as a manager, when three of his four seasons as manager had Albion struggling against relegation.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Totally agree - some of the players he attracted in that 85/86 were superb

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Totally agree - some of the players he attracted in that 85/86 were superb

Cattlin wanted to sign Martin Keown but wasn't given the £45k that Arsenal wanted. Also had Ray Houghton in his office from Fulham, with pen in hand when the board wouldn't stump up the £15k Fulham wanted.....Those figure's maybe a bit out, it is from memory but not that far out...It's a myth that Dean Saunders was free,,,,he cost Cattlin the train fare from Swansea to Brighton, John Bond said he was a headless chicken who just ran around a lot...lol.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here