Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My 50th Year as a fan

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
This is my 50th year as an Albion fan, and never once have i wavered. Not for me the pathetic trend of "supporting" a side you have absolutely no regional or emotional affiliation to, apart from some kind of playground arrogance that they just happen to be European Champions or whatever. Have been a fan from a cup final to near extinction and if the Amex closed tomorrow and we returned to Withdean, i would still support them....Ok I may not be able to support them in person now that the modern game has priced out its diehard fans, but they still run blue and white through my veins...come on you Seagullsssssss

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey...what do you want a medal?

Why is it pathetic if someone wants to support a different team.to one close by..is there a law that says you must?

Have a look around on the trains out of brighton on a weekend and see the different colours being worn.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey...what do you want a medal?

Why is it pathetic if someone wants to support a different team.to one close by..is there a law that says you must?

Have a look around on the trains out of brighton on a weekend and see the different colours being worn.
Indeed. Plus there is the whole question of what is your 'local' team? Should people in North Sussex now support Crawley? Should people from Lewes, Eastbourne, Bognor, Worthing, etc support their local teams as opposed to the 'big' team? You'll end up like 'TheMajor' who has said that in his ideal world the only people allowed in the Amex would be those born in Brighton and Hove as everybody else should be supporting their local (by birth) team.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I notched up 50 years in December. Someone who doesn't support their local club will never know the real joy of football.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Indeed. Plus there is the whole question of what is your 'local' team? Should people in North Sussex now support Crawley? Should people from Lewes, Eastbourne, Bognor, Worthing, etc support their local teams as opposed to the 'big' team? You'll end up like 'TheMajor' who has said that in his ideal world the only people allowed in the Amex would be those born in Brighton and Hove as everybody else should be supporting their local (by birth) team.

Lots of different arguments in there, but can you honestly tell me you take someone seriously if they are, say, born and bred in Brighton, Eastbourne, or wherever, and refer to Man United's victory that afternoon in the terms of "We tore them apart"?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Congrats on 50 years unwaivering support, through thick and thin, riding the Albion rollercoaster. Thats what being a footie fan is all about. No defecting to a so called more fashionable club just because your team is going through a thin spell. The true test is remaining loyal in the tough times and savouring the highs when they come along.

I feel the fans of Man U etc miss out on a bit of the fan experience because they've not had endure some of the extremes that the Albion and one or two others have been through.

Got my 50th Albion anniversary on the horizon, can still visualise my first game at the Goldstone back in '66. I lived most of my Albion supporting life in Sussex but now exiled in East Anglia. Someone suggested that I should now support Norwich. Stupid idea - clearly they don't get it. The thought has never crossed my mind, I have no feelings for another footie Club, in fact I quite like being different to the locals. Even so I'm always impressed to see the numbers of Albion fans who travel from these parts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My first 6 years as a Brighton fan were living in London - my local sides were Charlton, Millwall or Palace!
My last 36 years have been living in the Midlands.

Still bleed blue & white though :lol:

Well done highway61 though - here's to the next 50! :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lots of different arguments in there, but can you honestly tell me you take someone seriously if they are, say, born and bred in Brighton, Eastbourne, or wherever, and refer to Man United's victory that afternoon in the terms of "We tore them apart"?

No.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Well done Highway61. Great support indeed.

I support the nearest team to me playing professional football. That's Brighton. Through that comes loyalty and history. Be that it may, another club closer did make it into the league then it became irrelevant.

Football is geographically tribal. Putting on a shirt for a team say 300 miles away whilst doing some shopping is a mere soulless act. You can't sponge the rules of support but then use tribalism in the national game as a basis of national pride. It is a poor contradiction.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This is my 50th year as an Albion fan, and never once have i wavered. Not for me the pathetic trend of "supporting" a side you have absolutely no regional or emotional affiliation to, apart from some kind of playground arrogance that they just happen to be European Champions or whatever. Have been a fan from a cup final to near extinction and if the Amex closed tomorrow and we returned to Withdean, i would still support them....Ok I may not be able to support them in person now that the modern game has priced out its diehard fans, but they still run blue and white through my veins...come on you Seagullsssssss

Are you a Vulcan?

el punal

My 50th is in two years time - well done you!

On another point, my wife is from Southampton and both our daughters born bred there but are all true Albion fans. The thing is that somestimes family association in football is more influential than being local or regional. Don't forget a lot of us do move away and still retain our loyalty to the Seagulls.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
46 years for me. Was an 11 year old TV Man Utd fan living in Eastbourne when my future brother in law, looking to get me on side invited me to watch Brighton v Bristol Rovers at the Goldstone. 3 - 2 win, Charlie Livesey scoring the winner and I was hooked, professional football I could watch live! Best life sentence anyone could dish out!

el punal

46 years for me. Was an 11 year old TV Man Utd fan living in Eastbourne when my future brother in law, looking to get me on side invited me to watch Brighton v Bristol Rovers at the Goldstone. 3 - 2 win, Charlie Livesey scoring the winner and I was hooked, professional football I could watch live! Best life sentence anyone could dish out!

I was at that game, we were 0-2 down. What a fight back! Happy days. :ascarf:

blimey...what do you want a medal?

Plenty of people on the Nazi marches in the 30's still scum though,mr gp is a credit to sussex how about another 50:thumbsup:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
QUOTE=highway61;5594298]This is my 50th year as an Albion fan, and never once have i wavered. Not for me the pathetic trend of "supporting" a side you have absolutely no regional or emotional affiliation to, apart from some kind of playground arrogance that they just happen to be European Champions or whatever. Have been a fan from a cup final to near extinction and if the Amex closed tomorrow and we returned to Withdean, i would still support them....Ok I may not be able to support them in person now that the modern game has priced out its diehard fans, but they still run blue and white through my veins...come on you Seagullsssssss[/QUOTE]

I notched up 50 years in December. Someone who doesn't support their local club will never know the real joy of football.

My 50th is in two years time - well done you!

46 years for me.

37 Years today since my first game, suddenly I feel so much younger

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

:clap::clap::clap:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, 100%. My daughter's boyfriend is a lifelong and passionate Man U fan. He was born in Shoreham of Sussex parents and lived all his life in Lancing (before moving to Manchester two years ago!) I know from first-hand experience when he says 'we tore them apart' emotionally it means exactly the same to him as when we say it, like on Sunday.

PS: 48 years of watching the Albion for me - although I wasn't a Brighton fan for the first few years!

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, 100%. My daughter's boyfriend is a lifelong and passionate Man U fan. He was born in Shoreham of Sussex parents and lived all his life in Lancing (before moving to Manchester two years ago!) I know from first-hand experience when he says 'we tore them apart' emotionally it means exactly the same to him as when we say it, like on Sunday.

PS: 48 years of watching the Albion for me - although I wasn't a Brighton fan for the first few years!

Was the "we tore them apart" said from the comfort of an armchair. Sorry am only joking its my humour, its not good

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Was the "we tore them apart" said from the comfort of an armchair. Sorry am only joking its my humour, its not good

Sometimes, yes. However he does go when he can ponce unused STs off his mates (like me at the Amex). However unlike me if he hasn't got a ticket he occasionally goes to Old Trafford on a match day just to hang around and soak up the atmosphere.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here