Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Marino...and other minnows.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Watching the England game and the level football you see from San Marino really is appalling.. Its 5-0 at the moment and looks like it could end up being a cricket score.

Got me thinking about why countries at their level seem to have such a low level of ability in the sport. On this viewing the players at my local 5-a-side would have a better chance...

Is it down to countries like San Marino not really seeing football as priority?
Is it down to their relatively low population?
Lack of funding into the sport?
Or are we and other countries at the top of the world rankings just blessed with better players?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Having to play at San ma withdean can't help now what they want is a new stadium

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Watching the England game and the level football you see from San Marino really is appalling.. Its 5-0 at the moment and looks like it could end up being a cricket score.

Got me thinking about why countries at their level seem to have such a low level of ability in the sport. On this viewing the players at my local 5-a-side would have a better chance...

Or are we and other countries at the top of the world rankings just blessed with better players?

Firstly, their population is 33,000. They're highly unlikely to find the next Messi in a place where Eastbourne has 3 times the population. Most players play amateurly/semi professionally whilst ours, obvious are paid hundreds of thousands.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
down to lack of choice in my opinion. very small population of 31,735. when you take out the elderly, females and children, your not exactly left with much are you? :lol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You say it got you thinking. Sorry chap but I take it you're no Einstein?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It hardly takes a genius to work it out, does it?

The population is more a less that of Littlehampton. If they were placed against the England first team, it'd probably be 5 or more at half time.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think it's time for pre-qualifying for these crap nations, to root out some of the shite before the proper teams join in and so cut down on these waste of time games.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
world nation football should be a league with divisions - 1 game every 4 weeks - home, then away alternating.

world nation tournaments are stupid - qualifying games of minnows against giants, and in tournaments usually the best teams miss eachother or injuries / dodgy ref decision impacts who wins.

a monster world league would sort it all out :)

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
world nation football should be a league with divisions - 1 game every 4 weeks - home, then away alternating.

world nation tournaments are stupid - qualifying games of minnows against giants, and in tournaments usually the best teams miss eachother or injuries / dodgy ref decision impacts who wins.

a monster world league would sort it all out :)

I'm with you on that! Just imagine it! I'd also really like it to be called "The Monster World League" too.

As a former resident of the last of the Italian city-republics (apart from San Marino) to lose its independence (crushed by the Florentines in 1559), I have to defend the right of the Sammarinesi to take their rightful place among the nations of the world. They make a huge contribution to world football, simply by offering opportunities to any team that has the wit to score bucketfuls of goals the chance to qualify by virtue of better goal difference. That shouldn't be sniffed at.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lord Bracknell;5593718[B said:
]Games against hopeless minnows can sometimes turn out interesting.[/B]

See, for example, Scotland's unbelievable and undeserved half-time lead against Wales.

No, not always, Costa Rica 1, Scotland 0 in 1990 was entirely predictable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Games against hopeless minnows can sometimes turn out interesting.

See, for example, Scotland's unbelievable and undeserved half-time lead against Wales.

i'm trying to work out which is the minnow there. :lolol:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I'm with you on that! Just imagine it! I'd also really like it to be called "The Monster World League" too.

13 teams in each division (would be well over 10 divisions), would take 2 years to complete a season with 1 game every 4 weeks, top 2 up - next 4 in play offs, bottom 3 down. No end of season break - just keep going 1 game every 4 weeks. play offs tho all happen in a 2 week period at nuetral grounds halfway inbetween the nations. e.g. australia v scotland would happen in libya ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here