Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar loses the right to host 2022 World Cup

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
FIFA President Sepp Blatter (102) has sensationally revoked Qatar's right to host the 2022 World Cup. In a leaked tape Blatter admits that he mistook 50 degrees celcius for Fahrenheit. In another shock move, officials from the successful 2018 bid have flown immediately to Zurich to explain to Blatter that Russia isn't as big as it looks on the map.

Greg Dyke, the new FA Chairman, said in a brief statement, that England are ready to host the competition at short notice if required. He did however raise concerns as to whether the ten available 40 000 plus stadia, could build the necessary four pubs in time for 2018.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I hope they do lose it.

Horrible country. Arrogant people who think that money is all it takes to get everything they want ... much of it in brown envelopes.

The entire process was a complete joke and needs to be rethought.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For the life of me I can't begin to understand how the Qatari bid managed to gloss over the fact thousands of fans would have to be travelling, then hanging around, in 50 degree heat. I cannot see how this tournament can be played in June / July.

And nobody seems to have raised the point that whilst people generally have flexibility about when they take their summer holiday it is logistically much more difficult to book time off in the winter unless - God forbid - it coincides with Christmas.

How many people are going to be able to swing a World Cup trip to Qatar, time off over Xmas AND a sumer holiday? And anyway, nobody's got any money. A winter WC would be totally shit.

Seems to me Blatter realises the lid is going to be blown off the bribery and corruption surrounding Qatar's bid, so he's forcing them into a corner where they have to ask to switch to the winter, which will force a challenge and a rebid. I fully expect WC 2022 to be played in either USA or Australia.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
anyone that has been to qatar knows it will be a complete mess - no booze, too hot, everything super expensive.....

corruption is everywhere on this planet.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I wonder if this thread is why I now have an advert at the top of NSC inviting me to date Arab girls...?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I wonder if this thread is why I now have an advert at the top of NSC inviting me to date Arab girls...?

It's targeted advertising I presume - based on your web history...? ???

Having just got back to my desk after a Friday lunchtime trip to the pub, I have a 'change 4 life' advert encouraging me to drink less...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In some respects it would be quite funny watching on telly a World Cup played in 50 degree heat. Being used to the conditions might be a factor, although I don't think I'll bother watching a final of Egypt vs Saudi Arabia.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
My Qatarie student says they plan to serve beer during the World Cup.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Said it before, I'll say it again. Qatar & Russia, both bent countries, bent decisions. FIFA, bent organization; we just have to suck it up.
Russia, they can sort of explain that one away, but Qatar? Absolute joke.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
In some respects it would be quite funny watching on telly a World Cup played in 50 degree heat. Being used to the conditions might be a factor, although I don't think I'll bother watching a final of Egypt vs Saudi Arabia.

I always think this idea of being 'used to the heat' is a bit of a myth. What i have found in countries with extreme conditions is that 1) people tend to accept and stop complaining about it and 2) structure their life and work in a away more suitable to conditions.
This for instance means not doing stupid things like trying to play football in the middle of summer...The very fact this bid was accepted in suffient proof to me of just how corrupt the whole system is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For the life of me I can't begin to understand how the Qatari bid managed to gloss over the fact thousands of fans would have to be travelling, then hanging around, in 50 degree heat....

And nobody seems to have raised the point that whilst people generally have flexibility about when they take their summer holiday it is logistically much more difficult to book time off in the winter

How many people are going to be able to swing a World Cup trip to Qatar
Who said you need fans at a WC? Tw@tter wouldn't care if it was played behind closed doors, with just the tv crew there. If necessary they'll just stick a load of the forced labour on the seats and make them cheer.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Qatar & Russia, both bent countries, bent decisions. FIFA, bent organization; we just have to suck it up.
Russia, they can sort of explain that one away, but Qatar? Absolute joke.
Factually correct.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
For me, I think it could be a fantastic World Cup as long as all the stadiums are air conditioned, although it's looking increasingly likely that they won't be. Also they need to make booze even more accessible, otherwise people won't bother turning up.

Have you ever been there? Granted ive never been to Quatar, but I have been to Kuwait, Oman, Afghanistan and Iraq etc where the weather reaches similar tempretures. For me the biggest problem is going to be not for the players in the stadiums themselves, but for everyone when they are out of the stadiums.
I think the hottest I ever experienced was 46 centigrade in Kuwait and in those sort of temperatures even things like walking to the bus stop were hard work. The ammount of water (bottled) one has to consume to simply stay alive in those tempretures is unreal. I can imagine the carnage with loads of western football fans sat around drinking larger at the hotel all day then dropping like flies on their way to a game in the evening.

IMO the whole situation of a summer world cup out there is downright dangerous, bordering on lethal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here