Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactically Gus right up there with the Duke of Wellington and General Patton

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think we've all been well and truly played on this one, I don't think Gus ever had any intention of going. He's now strengthened his position at the football club, almost certainly getting a bigger budget and transfer cash in the summer and setting up a classic football fairy tale with loyalty as the overriding theme, I believe on the back of this we will go up now, via the Play-offs, and on the day of the Wembley final how many times will Sky mention that Gus could have gone to Reading?
The Argus, after some dreadful circulation figures, have also shifted a few extras copies, so everyone's a winner.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think we've all been well and truly played on this one, I don't think Gus ever had any intention of going. He's now strengthened his position at the football club, almost certainly getting a bigger budget and transfer cash in the summer and setting up a classic football fairy tale with loyalty as the overriding theme, I believe on the back of this we will go up now, via the Play-offs, and on the day of the Wembley final how many times will Sky mention that Gus could have gone to Reading?
The Argus, after some dreadful circulation figures, have also shifted a few extras copies, so everyone's a winner.

Well, he rarely shows ant tactical nouse when he is making substitutions. That is clearly a major factor in failing fo come back after falling behind in virtually two whole seasons.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

i agree - he is super ambitious - and this has all increased his stock by this pantomime......

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I believe we will still be a Championship club next season and if any Premier League side comes in for him in the summer, he'll be off

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I agree, the episode has allowed Gus to explore his market value - what he means to the club and the fans, and how much power he can wield. He's emerged even more powerful than before, I would imagine. I hope it pays off for all concerned.

Gus is a very single-minded character who doesn't seem to take advice or orders easily, from my outsider's perspective. His power base is strengthened by the fact so many of our playing staff are now Spanish speakers.

None of this bothers me unduly, right now, but it's a potentially explosive scenario.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not so sure Gus has 'strengthened his position', I think it's more of a stand-off. OK, he stayed, but on the other hand when Reading asked if they could speak to him we said 'yeah, sure' rather than denying them permission and fighting to keep him. He's said often enough he wants a big job and in return Tony Bloom has said he's always got replacements in mind. I don't think, dynamics-wise, anything has changed.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I agree, the episode has allowed Gus to explore his market value - what he means to the club and the fans, and how much power he can wield. He's emerged even more powerful than before, I would imagine. I hope it pays off for all concerned.

Gus is a very single-minded character who doesn't seem to take advice or orders easily, from my outsider's perspective. His power base is strengthened by the fact so many of our playing staff are now Spanish speakers.

None of this bothers me unduly, right now, but it's a potentially explosive scenario.

I don't think it's necessarily explosive but it does mean, for example if he goes in the summer, we may find our replacement options limited to getting in another Spanish speaking manager. Either that or a massive upheaval which could take some time to settle afterwards.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I don't think it's necessarily explosive but it does mean, for example if he goes in the summer, we may find our replacement options limited to getting in another Spanish speaking manager. Either that or a massive upheaval which could take some time to settle afterwards.

Theoretically, yes. I agree with you. But I don't see us as being "limited" to another Spanish-speaking manager. Most clubs are limited to only English speaking managers... I'd rather hire a manager who's had some success in the lower reaches of La Liga or the upper reaches of the La Segunda Liga than Curbishley, McCarthy, Warnock etc. English coaches who can actually coach and think innovatively on a tactical level are comparatively rare when lined up next to Spain.

I think our identity started as Gus' identity, playing in an "attractive" way and following the Swansea model but is now very much the club identity and is integrated from the ground up. If Gus leaves, we will not go back to Stoke-isms, we'll try to evolve in step with the ongoing creative vision Gus and Bloom have created.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I don't see gus has strengthened his position. Like all managers he expects the club owner to agree to every spending demand and when told no drops enough hints if his requests met he'd get better results. Unlike QPR and similar clubs, in TB he's up against a businessman whose not at the club to have his ego flattered, he's here as the club part of his family DNA. In TB I trust to make the right decisions to get this club up and always secure and on that basis I'm sure if anything the reading situation has left gus knowing he's not as indispensable as perhaps he thinks or thought he was.....

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
He was never ever going, its a shame our Chairman doesn't have shares or own a book makers because if he did he wouldve made a killijng by allowing Gus (who was never interesting) to talk to Reading and therefore make him favourite with the bookies, he couldve even made enough money to bring in an expensive striker if that was the case

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This last flirtation with Reading has nothing to do with Gus's loyalty to the Albion and staying to finish a job here it was only ever a massive and very unsubtle shout out to other premiership clubs that he is now available and open to offers. I doubt very much that Gus had any intention of seriously considering the Reading job but by letting the story run a few days he has sent out a clear message that he is willing to listen to offers and that if the right job becomes available then he will take it. That doesn't mean I'm not glad Gus is staying for now, I most certainly am and hope he takes us up but I do believe that if we don't go up there is a very strong possibility that these could be the last 8-11 games he is in charge of the Albion. Gus's constant whoring himself about that he wants to manage in the premier league, with or without Brighton is for me at least getting a bit tiresome and I honestly won't be upset or dissapointed if and when he leaves, I will thank him wholeheartedly for improving us as a club and bringing us as far as he has and look forward to the appointment of another top quality manager to carry on from the great foundation Gus has laid for us. Ultimately the Albion are bigger than Gus Poyet despite the fact he clearly doesn't think that and we will move onwards and upwards.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Always amazes me this type of negative conjecture. The club appear to have a policy of allowing staff to consider other opportunities if their price is reached and I wouldn't be surprised to find Gus has a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to any Premiership clubs that match that required price.

Nobody in their right mind, if allowed to do so, wouldn't at least investigate the opportunity. What if Reading were offering to triple his salary, give him five times more money to spend on players and giving Gus a ten year contract - he'd probably jump at that ( and rightly so ) - but unless he speaks to them he'd never know. I doubt anyone on here wouldn't talk to an other employer if they were headhunted.

I certainly don't believe Gus has effectively put TB over a barrel and got something out of it. I would expect TB to say - you have your contract and you know how it works here - take it or leave it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He was never ever going, its a shame our Chairman doesn't have shares or own a book makers because if he did he wouldve made a killijng by allowing Gus (who was never interesting) to talk to Reading and therefore make him favourite with the bookies, he couldve even made enough money to bring in an expensive striker if that was the case

Maybe he has?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

The Battle of Assaye, The Lines of Torres Vadras and Waterloo, its no brainer. Gus might be good, but not a patch on the Iron Duke ha ha

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We will see how strong his position is, when he hits a rocky patch. I doubt Mr Bloom will be overly impressed with the last few days events. But it would have been very disruptive if Poyet had gone with eight games left. Not the end of the world but a pain in the arse, Mr Bloom could have well done without.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This last flirtation with Reading has nothing to do with Gus's loyalty to the Albion and staying to finish a job here it was only ever a massive and very unsubtle shout out to other premiership clubs that he is now available and open to offers. I doubt very much that Gus had any intention of seriously considering the Reading job but by letting the story run a few days he has sent out a clear message that he is willing to listen to offers and that if the right job becomes available then he will take it. That doesn't mean I'm not glad Gus is staying for now, I most certainly am and hope he takes us up but I do believe that if we don't go up there is a very strong possibility that these could be the last 8-11 games he is in charge of the Albion. Gus's constant whoring himself about that he wants to manage in the premier league, with or without Brighton is for me at least getting a bit tiresome and I honestly won't be upset or dissapointed if and when he leaves, I will thank him wholeheartedly for improving us as a club and bringing us as far as he has and look forward to the appointment of another top quality manager to carry on from the great foundation Gus has laid for us. Ultimately the Albion are bigger than Gus Poyet despite the fact he clearly doesn't think that and we will move onwards and upwards.

Football is like that. Currently Gus the 11th longest serving manager which includes Ferguson and Wenger. Fans are the only ones who have any loyalty to any given club.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
No maybe about it, best way to make punters put money on a favourite "Gus you DO want to talk to Reading DON'T you,hehe" "ess not complicated Tony I WILL speak to them ;) "

owenthemonkey

Aug 17, 2011
always amazes me this type of negative conjecture. The club appear to have a policy of allowing staff to consider other opportunities if their price is reached and i wouldn't be surprised to find gus has a clause in his contract allowing him to talk to any premiership clubs that match that required price.

Nobody in their right mind, if allowed to do so, wouldn't at least investigate the opportunity. What if reading were offering to triple his salary, give him five times more money to spend on players and giving gus a ten year contract - he'd probably jump at that ( and rightly so ) - but unless he speaks to them he'd never know. I doubt anyone on here wouldn't talk to an other employer if they were headhunted.

I certainly don't believe gus has effectively put tb over a barrel and got something out of it. I would expect tb to say - you have your contract and you know how it works here - take it or leave it.

this this this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here