Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus might have considered another job!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
We don't know that he did and probably never will. But have none of those slagging him off never been offered another job? We have a manager who we think is good and who, quite clearly, other clubs admire. One day he will move on - hopefully, for his sake and ours, it won't be because he's been sacked! Meanwhile, just enjoy what we've got.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder which team will be next to show an interest,can't wait for 2 more days of this when the next Prem club come sniffing.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
TB had to give permission for him to speak to Reading anyway, just like he declined Wolves permission last season. Still doubt many jobs would attract him away, Reading was a decent option because he lives fairly near there and would have had a good transfer budget next season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, I think Gus has conducted his business pretty well over this. FIrstly, he only spoke with Reading after giving permission by the Albion, secondly, he kept himself to himself during the whole process, and thirdly, he told Reading to "do one"!!

Can't see much wrong with that, he's an ambitious manager and deserves the opportunity to be in the Premier League.

Oh, and does anyone know if he did actually talk to reading in the end or not? There's nothing on any official sites...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He made his decision very quickly, which is encouraging

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the real test comes in the summer when he is offered the job again............ now how are those player contract negotiations going?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If we don't go up I reckon he'll be off in the summer if/when a half-decent offer from the prem inevitably comes his way

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we don't go up I reckon he'll be off in the summer if/when a half-decent offer from the prem inevitably comes his way

Maybe he will do an Elliott Bennett and see the season out with us and if we don't go up, he'll join Reading if nothing better gets offered.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
We don't know that he did and probably never will. But have none of those slagging him off never been offered another job? We have a manager who we think is good and who, quite clearly, other clubs admire. One day he will move on - hopefully, for his sake and ours, it won't be because he's been sacked! Meanwhile, just enjoy what we've got.

Probably not!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
the real test comes in the summer when he is offered the job again............ now how are those player contract negotiations going?

It would be good to see how he looks to allign his loyalty and ambition and make the club all the more attractive for those undecided whether to stay or not when the talks truly begin. It's bound to force a few players to put ink to paper. David, for instance. Maybe Bridgey too. Of course a lot depends on where we end up this year, but i get the impression Gus can paint a dream quite deftly, with a mild air of we're-as-big-as-the-smaller-premiership-clubs-already to him, that dream should expand and pallete more multi-coloured.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
It would be good to see how he looks to allign his loyalty and ambition and make the club all the more attractive for those undecided whether to stay or not when the talks truly begin. It's bound to force a few players to put ink to paper. David, for instance. Maybe Bridgey too. Of course a lot depends on where we end up this year, but i get the impression Gus can paint a dream quite deftly, with a mild air of we're-as-big-as-the-smaller-premiership-clubs-already to him, that dream should expand and pallete more multi-coloured.

I think it could go the other way. If he was close to joining a club like Reading, those players will see it won't take much more for him to move on. Saying that, how much do players really care who the manager is . They (quite rightly) look after number one. If they are happy and getting paid their perceived worth, they will stay.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Personally, I think Gus has conducted his business pretty well over this. FIrstly, he only spoke with Reading after giving permission by the Albion, secondly, he kept himself to himself during the whole process, and thirdly, he told Reading to "do one"!!

Can't see much wrong with that, he's an ambitious manager and deserves the opportunity to be in the Premier League.

Oh, and does anyone know if he did actually talk to reading in the end or not? There's nothing on any official sites...

An article on the BBC site mentions that he held talks with them on Weds before flying out on Holiday.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think it could go the other way. If he was close to joining a club like Reading, those players will see it won't take much more for him to move on. Saying that, how much do players really care who the manager is . They (quite rightly) look after number one. If they are happy and getting paid their perceived worth, they will stay.

Where does it say anywhere that he was close to moving on?

I think players can be persuaded to lesser pay with performance-related bonuses and belief in the Gusbus loudspeaker's pledges that we'll make it and wages will triple.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
fully expect Reading to chase o-o-c players like Bridge, Upson & David with big pay day offers if only out of spite but possibly as a precursor to another bid to tempt Gus away.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is good news. He has considered taking the Prem Shilling and turned it down. He knows he is onto a good thing with Tony Bloom and the setup we have. He expects loyalty from his players (remember the Calde fiasco) and has shown it as a manager. Good man!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For me, the only flak Gus would deserve over this is if it was his advisors who gave the Independent the idea that it was virtually a done deal. However, I think it's more likely that was just the journalist taking a punt on it and over-egging what he'd been told, either from someone close to Poyet or the Reading end of things.

Otherwise, it all seems pretty straightforward. Who wouldn't listen to an offer if they were being head-hunted? It would be foolish not to, especially as those paths may cross again elsewhere in future. That's not the same as wanting to leave.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011

Exactly this. Those idiots saying he lacked loyalty etc are complete hypocrites. He would've been mad not to at least listen to what the offer was especially given Brighton stood to receive £2.5m from Reading for him. There's never going to be a good time for us to lose him but I'd imagine Tony Bloom saw it as a win-win with that sort of money on offer so he was was happy (or as happy as you can be) to allow him to talk to Reading.

I'm glad he's stayed and hope he stays on till next season when we're in the prem!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I agree. I fully expect this to come up again at the end of the season, as he has suggested to our top players offered transfers in January.

I see there is talk of Reading sticking with their Caretaker Manager to the end of the season.

Even if he goes in the summer, Poyet has done the decent thing by sticking with our promotion push this year, for which we should all be very grateful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here